TV: Farscape

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Any Farscape fans around here? I searched and I see there's no other threads.

I've been re-watching it lately.

I don't know why I didn't realize it before (especially because Ben Browder is in GOTG2), but I can really see the influence it had on Guardians of the Galaxy. Upon Googling it, I see that yes indeed James Gunn is a fan of Farscape.

Reactions: Guardian17

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I was/am a big fan of Stargate SG-1. Later on in it's run two new main characters are brought in Cpt Cam Mitchell played by Ben Browder and Vala Mal Doran played by Claudia Black. I new vaguely they were from some show called Farscape. Then SG-1 has their 200th episode and they do a "joke" episode riffing on some iconic movies/TV shows. One I don't recognize. Reading about it I heard it's from Farscape. I think the show can't be that ridulous can it?

So I checked it out. And it was more ridiculous than the parody. Puppets? Awful CGI even for late 90's. Cheesy lines. Living ship? And c'mon PUPPETS?

But I kept reading about how the show is good. So I tried again. It took a few attempts but I started to get into it. I think show does itself no favors early as I find the early episodes are uneven. It's once it really get itself established and really starts to decide on the setting (gets invested and establishes the various factions and players in the galaxy) that it really picks up. Characters get great depth, even the puppets. And turns into one of the really solid Sci-Fi shows every bit the rival of better known contemporaries or near contemporaries such Babylon 5, Stargate SG-1, Star Trek Deep Space 9, Star Trek Voyager, Star Trek Enterprise. Much like Doctor Who you just have get past the ridiculous factor at times to find the diamond underneath.

Glad Farscape got that movie/mini-series to conclude the series. Ending on a cliffhanger was rough I'm sure for those fans that had caught it as it was on. But I thought they did a really solid job ending everything with that, sticking the landing like many shows are unable to do.

It's been a few years since I've done a rewatch of either of those shows. I think it's about time to start one of both.

Last edited:

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Tried getting into it just couldn't make it. Didn't find it that interesting. Loved 90's Sci-Fi Star Trek, Babylon 5, Stargate so I should probably give it another try.

Hated Val and Cam on Stargate I recall they were better on this show though.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I watched Farscape during it's first run.

It's more adult like Lexx than Star Trek.

I'll have to watch it again cause it's been a long time.

cali02.gif

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Farescape did not survive one of the purges here a few years ago. They did a lot with a very small budget.

The only reason it ended (prior to the movies being made) was because Star wars came in and signed like a 4 or 5 year agreement with studio where farescape was filmed. The only other studio down under at the time would not fit the needs of the show.

I loves seasons 1 to 3. But there were budget cuts for season 4 were obvious

Love the fact it is available on Amazon

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Always thought this was funny that it was on YTV in Canada. Especially considering how mature it was at times when it came to sexuality. Is it because it used Jim Henson company for the puppets?? Edit: Okay, google search say it was actually produced by Jim Henson. Not just the puppets I guess.

Great show, one of the reason why I was so intrigued was the living spaceship, but also the fact they had no space-borne weapons either. It was just some transport ship. This is in contrast with Star Trek where despite the Federation is suppose to be peaceful, everyone has a gun, heh.

I didn't actually watch the whole show until years later on Amazon. Definitely happy with how it all ended. I will admit that out of all the sci-fi properties I have watched, this is the one where I do not need any sort of sequel or reboot ever. It just doesn't need it.

Also, I'm always surprised how certain actors never become bigger, specifically I'm talking about Ben Browder or Claudia Black. Surely they're on the cusp of being great actors? Or is just me? Like Ben Browder seems like a proto-Chris Pratt or something.

I definitely recommend Farscape for a watch if anyone needs a sci-fi series to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad