The Star: Farm futures: Five Marlies that could play a role with the Maple Leafs

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Here's the list:

Pontus Holmberg
Bobby McMann
Roni Hirvonen
Topi Niemela
Alex Steeves

best quote:

re: Niemela

"Part of the reason the Leafs might have chosen to move on from Rasmus Sandin, a young puck-moving blueliner, is they have Niemela, a similar player who is just 21. He’s right-handed, too. Like Sandin, he’s five-foot-11, on the small side but sleek and skilled. A third-round pick from the 2020 draft, has played for Finland’s junior and senior teams.

He came over at the end of the 2022–23 season, getting into six regular-season games and seven playoff games, scoring three goals and adding four assists."

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

Here's the list:

Pontus Holmberg
Bobby McMann
Roni Hirvonen
Topi Niemela
Alex Steeves

best quote:

re: Niemela

"Part of the reason the Leafs might have chosen to move on from Rasmus Sandin, a young puck-moving blueliner, is they have Niemela, a similar player who is just 21. He’s right-handed, too. Like Sandin, he’s five-foot-11, on the small side but sleek and skilled. A third-round pick from the 2020 draft, has played for Finland’s junior and senior teams.

He came over at the end of the 2022–23 season, getting into six regular-season games and seven playoff games, scoring three goals and adding four assists."
Holmberg is the only one that I see that will be a regular. McMann and Steeves might be guys that will draw in and out of the lineup.

Niemela and Hirvonen, I can't see getting more than a few games here and there with injuries. Would like to see Niemela get some time in the AHL for a full year to add a little more weight to that frame.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Holmberg and Niemela will be NHL regulars. Holmberg as soon as next season. Might take Niemela a full year with the Marlies before stepping into the NHL regularly.

McMann I can see someone who’s in and out of the lineup.

Hirvonen is a question mark.

Steeves I’m not really excited for or expect anything out of.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Holmberg-Hoping he can establish a new high in GP and at least be somewhat of a lineup fixture.

McMann-The future (whatever that may be) is now for the pending UFA.

Steeves-Should at least have some value as a call-up.

Hirvonen and Niemela-Time for each to receive that initial bit of NHL experience.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Niemela seems like the only guy with high end potential but due to his size I’m not sure what his role is if he doesn’t hit his ceiling.

All of the other guys seem like tweeners that can be easily replaced by FAs. That being said, good teams have tweeners who exceed expectations and thats how you get a good value piece. So lets not dump them, keep them around and see if anyone surprises.

I wouldn’t mind the Leafs having a bit more “f*** you, you are under contract with the Leafs” and then keeping them around longer rather than giving them a chance in another system.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1685486265997.png

Bobby McMann was an undrafted player that is about to turn 27 years old in 2 weeks .. He is already older then the 3 Amigos.

Is this really the Leafs version of "Play the Kids"?

He recorded 1 assist in 10 games with the Leafs last year as a fill in.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Mess, we don’t have any kids that can come in and contribute.
McMann is okay, a good 4th liner
There are likely 400 guys in the AHL that are 27 or younger that you can toss onto a 4th line in the NHL in a pinch. :)

Not only do the Leafs not have a lot of kids, but the problem they're all in the Kyle Dubas vision many small well below NHL size in the mold of Denis Malgin.

1685486921481.png

1685486955973.png

1685486992352.png

1685487039123.png

1685487087346.png

1685487138192.png

1685487265022.png

1685487594168.png

1685487641527.png

1685488029930.png

& My favourite Leaf prospect Leafs acquired from the pick from the Kadri trade.

1685487514884.png

The Leafs are not going to put together a team full of smurfs here after watching how big and physical teams like Florida and Vegas are playing.

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
There are likely 400 guys in the AHL that are 27 or younger that you can toss onto a 4th line in the NHL in a pinch. :)

Not only do the Leafs not have a lot of kids, but the problem they're all in the Kyle Dubas vision many small well below NHL size in the mold of Denis Malgin.

View attachment 714044

View attachment 714045

View attachment 714046

View attachment 714049

View attachment 714050

View attachment 714051

View attachment 714054

View attachment 714057

View attachment 714058

View attachment 714060

& My favourite Leaf prospect Leafs acquired from the pick from the Kadri trade.

View attachment 714056

The Leafs are not going to put together a team full of smurfs here after watching how big and physical teams like Florida and Vegas are playing.

Florida has the smallest roster in the NHL currently.

Reactions: WillNy29

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Here is the 2022-23 Marlies top 10 in scoring leaders and what Dubas left the Leafs in his wake.

1685488737907.png

Their leading scorer Logan Shaw is 29 years old not under contract and recorded 69 points as the leading scorer,

Gaudette and Joey Anderson already traded away. McMann Is about to turn 27, Blandishi has no NHL future at age 28.

Anybody below #10OA Villeneuve recorded less than 25 points in the AHL on the Marlies.

How can anyone look at this and see a promising future ahead with many players pushing for NHL spots to make the Leafs more Cup competive?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Niemela is the really interesting one, and yes, I believe he did indeed make Rasmus Sandin expendable, resetting that player type to ELC and also having the benefit of being RHD.

Everything else at the Marlie level is not that interesting ATM. Will be good to have cheap homegrown reinforcements, but remains to be seen if any of them have any more personality than a Kerfoot, Aston-Reese or Lafferty. Up to them to make a name.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Florida has the smallest roster in the NHL currently.

I saw your post about Leafs bright future on Defense in the future, and then you listed these 3 to help fill out the Leafs defense core below Morgan Rielly,

1685489408189.png

1685489325307.png

1685489362872.png

Take a look at Vegas Dcore this year, or TB Defense when they won Cups and see what might be wrong with our strategy here.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I saw your post about Leafs bright future on Defense in the future, and then you listed these 3 to help fill out the Leafs defense core below Morgan Rielly,

View attachment 714067

View attachment 714064

View attachment 714065

Take a look at Vegas Dcore this year, or TB Defense when they won Cups and see what might be wrong with our strategy here.

You are misremembering, I listed some of the depth pieces and Niemela as a top 4 with a potential top 2 upside.

Also, why leave out Colorado and their super tiny D?

Also, glad you can falsely claim Florida is big, and then when confront with the fact they aren't you just ignore it and redirect, good job.

Here is the 2022-23 Marlies top 10 in scoring leaders and what Dubas left the Leafs in his wake.

View attachment 714062

Their leading scorer Logan Shaw is 29 years old not under contract and recorded 69 points as the leading scorer,

Gaudette and Joey Anderson already traded away. McMann Is about to turn 27, Blandishi has no NHL future at age 28.

Anybody below #10OA Villeneuve recorded less than 25 points in the AHL on the Marlies.

How can anyone look at this and see a promising future ahead with many players pushing for NHL spots to make the Leafs more Cup competive?

Our top like 8 best prospects aren't on this list... that's how.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Im really high on Niemela, has a chance to be a top pairing dman but more likely a #4. I think Holmberg will probably be a solid, cost affective bottom six nhl forward starting next season. Mcmann might be an alright 4th liner. Not expecting anything out of the others

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Niemela is the really interesting one, and yes, I believe he did indeed make Rasmus Sandin expendable, resetting that player type to ELC and also having the benefit of being RHD.

Everything else at the Marlie level is not that interesting ATM. Will be good to have cheap homegrown reinforcements, but remains to be seen if any of them have any more personality than a Kerfoot, Aston-Reese or Lafferty. Up to them to make a name.
Was Sandin really expendable and he was blocked on left defense by 39 year old Giordano in the short-term.

Topi is a right shooting RHD that plays on the opposite side as Sandin who play LHD as their strong side. ideally they're not competiting for the same spot. He does have some upside but at 170 lbs how long would he survive in the NHL?

But since Rasmus came up at age 23 as expendable .. Here is Leafs trade deadline results that I thought was interesting.

Expendable Rasmus Sandin post trade deadline with Caps.

1685491040163.png

Leafs new players post trade deadline scoring in Toronto.

1685490828460.png

Sandin outscored all the new additions including the forwards, and so why do players excel once free of Leafs and the players coming in struggle to produce?

Leafs got a late 1st from Boston for Sandin at the TDL and I'd be surprised if that pick in 2023 ever becomes as Sandin is now.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Was Sandin really expendable and he was blocked on left defense by 39 year old Giordano in the short-term.

Topi is a right shooting RHD that plays on the opposite side as Sandin who play LHD as their strong side. ideally they're not competiting for the same spot. He does have some upside but at 170 lbs how long would he survive in the NHL?

But since Rasmus came up at age 23 as expendable .. Here is Leafs trade deadline results that I thought was interesting.

View attachment 714073

View attachment 714071

Sandin outscored all the new additions including the forwards, and so why do players excel once free of Leafs and the players coming in struggle to produce?

Leafs got a late 1st from Boston for Sandin at the TDL and I'd be surprised if that pick in 2023 ever becomes as Sandin is now.

You're so dishonest.

Leaves out the next column which would shine Sandin in a bad light... typical

Reactions: francis246

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

View attachment 714073

View attachment 714071

Sandin outscored all the new additions
including the forwards, and so why do players excel once free of Leafs and the players coming in struggle to produce?

Ryan O'Rielly/Sam Lafferty/Luke Schenn/Eric Gustafson/Jake McCabe, Noel Acciari = 32 points

Rasmus Sandin = 15 points

Difference in Greatness Points = 17

How can you say how successful Tor's first pick is going to be when you don't even know their name. Maybe Toronto drafts a goalie.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

View attachment 714073

View attachment 714071

I'm a staunch non-Sandin guy. I firmly believe whatever offensive inflator was responsible for Erik Gustafsson in Washington (PP time in Carlson's absence, more ice time than you'd get on a team that can't afford the defensive trade offs) is the same that boosted his numbers post trade.

Sandin will be a good player, but I'm pretty happy to have the Boston first rounder as currency and he's not a fit for me. Gio is toast too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad