Salary Cap: Farewell Bobby, you will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Edited the thread title of Salary Cap with today's sad news. :(

Just continuing the ol' Salary Cap thread, now closed at 41 pages.

Last edited:

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
with the very strong possibility of Bennett and Fehr coming back by next week, and for the sake of realism let's assume Sprong will be sent back to CHL, here are the lines i would want going forward:

Bonino - Malkin - Kessel
Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Plotnikov - Fehr - Bennett
Kunitz - Cullen - Dupuis

Maata - Letang
Dumolin - Cole
Clendening - Lovejoy

we still need help on the back end desperately tho

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
If I had coach and general manager powers this second, here's what I would do forwards-wise.

Send Kunitz and Scuderi into the sun by any means possible. If that means a 7th round pick then whatever.

Trade David Perron. I loved the trade at the time, but something's just not clicking here. It would be nice to get a guy like Pat Maroon with a physical presence or a top 4 defenceman but I'm not sure his value's there right now.

1ST LINE: Sprong - Crosby - Hornqvist

Tell Sprong that he has the chance to earn a permanent spot on Crosby's wing if he proves himself. It's a lot of pressure for the kid but he's surprised all of us so far. He has the shot and the speed to keep up with Sid, and he's clearly hungry for success at this level. Let Hornqvist crash the net and dig for pucks.

2ND LINE: Fehr - Malkin - Kessel

Let this line develop chemistry, because if they do they could be the most dangerous unit in the NHL. Fehr is smart enough to understand his role on this line: make space for two of the most dynamic players in the league. Possibly switch in Plotnikov.

3RD LINE: Plotnikov - Bonino - Bennett

Love the composition of this line and they looked great together. Bonino's shot + Bennett's playmaking + Plotnikov's presence = perfect third line.

4TH LINE: Rust - Cullen - Dupuis

Defensively responsible line that will chip in reliably and be able to maintain zone time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can't wait for the Pens to send Sprong back to the Q just for Bennett to get hurt the next day. If this team had any powers of thinking ahead, they'd trade Bennett and keep Sprong up for the entire year locked in the 3rd line. Then again, the organization wants Perron out and he's sure as hell not making a case that they're wrong for wanting him out.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Or they could just keep Bennett since his value blows and when healthy is a valuable player.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Or they could just keep Bennett since his value blows and when healthy is a valuable player.

Key part there, when healthy. More likely than not, he's not healthy based on his career so far. The Pens obviously aren't going to keep all 3 of Sprong, Bennett and Perron on the team when everyone is healthy (complain all you want, it's not going to happen sadly), so one of those 3 are moving out. With Beau's injury history, it makes sense to move him. If we move one of the other 2 and Beau gets hurt, we'll be down to only 1 of those 3.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
If Beau didn't have his injury history I would be OK with Perron for young D with Top pair upside....But he has it and I don't like the idea.

When Fehr and Bennett are back Porter will be gone (Hooray!) and Sprong (Booo)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Key part there, when healthy. More likely than not, he's not healthy based on his career so far. The Pens obviously aren't going to keep all 3 of Sprong, Bennett and Perron on the team when everyone is healthy (complain all you want, it's not going to happen sadly), so one of those 3 are moving out. With Beau's injury history, it makes sense to move him. If we move one of the other 2 and Beau gets hurt, we'll be down to only 1 of those 3.

I'd rather trade Perron than Beau under those circumstances. He actually has value and with a higher cap hit, moving him helps their cap situation.

I really just see the point to trading Beau. Low trade value, low cap hit, and valuable player when healthy.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The only problem is that as bad as Perron has been, he's still our best left winger.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The only problem is that as bad as Perron has been, he's still our best left winger.

For the record I don't want to trade either of them. I just see zero reason to trade Beau. But, in some fictitious state where I cant keep Sprong, Perron, and Beau on the roster and Sprong is staying up, I'd trade Perron over Beau.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
For the record I don't want to trade either of them. I just see zero reason to trade Beau. But, in some fictitious state where I cant keep Sprong, Perron, and Beau on the roster and Sprong is staying up, I'd trade Perron over Beau.

I think you get more out of Perron since I don't trust Beau to stay healthy and I am very high on him, but you'll get more trade value from Perron than BB.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I agree with Shady. I don't want to trade either, and I don't think we need to. But Bennett has no value on the trade market. It would make more sense to trade Perron if we actually want something of value.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

nothing you're saying makes sense actually

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Unless you're trading them for coaching there is no reason to trade anyone. We have a TON of talent and can't score goals. Talent isn't the issue. Trade em both for Gretzky in his prime, it won't matter with this staff.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
with the very strong possibility of Bennett and Fehr coming back by next week, and for the sake of realism let's assume Sprong will be sent back to CHL, here are the lines i would want going forward:

Bonino - Malkin - Kessel
Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Plotnikov - Fehr - Bennett
Kunitz - Cullen - Dupuis

Maata - Letang
Dumolin - Cole
Clendening - Lovejoy

we still need help on the back end desperately tho

If Sprong goes back, I don't hate these lines...but EVERYTHING hinges on Bonino being an effective LW. I feel like him and Fehr could be interchangable in this case as well.

1ST LINE: Sprong - Crosby - Hornqvist
2ND LINE: Fehr - Malkin - Kessel
3RD LINE: Plotnikov - Bonino - Bennett
4TH LINE: Rust - Cullen - Dupuis

I like it.

jdpitt05

Jan 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Plotnikov-Malkin-Kessel
Kunitz-Bonino-Bennett
Dupuis-Fehr-Sprong
Cullen

• Cullen's a vet and can pop in and out of the lineup, let him get some rest. We need to fully evaluate Sprong. He could potentially let us deal Perron for a solid top 4 dman. I would give him shifts on Crosby's LW.
  • I'd like to keep Plots on the 2nd line, we need someone to do the dirty work and be a net front presence. He compliments Kessel on the other side very nicely. He's young and raw but let him play and grow!
  • Let Fehr ease back into the game on the 4th line. The bottom 9 is pretty fluid imo, we have alot of versatility down there. So I wouldn't lock those lines in now, gauge health and who is playing the best at the moment.

Cole-Letang
Maata-Clendening
Dumoulin-Pouliot
Scuderi/Lovejoy

• We need more offense on the backend. That's contributing to our low goal totals. Bring up Pouliot.
  • Scuderi and Lovejoy are our 2 worst defensemen. Bench/Cut/waive/send down whatever needs to be done. I don't see them getting any better.
  • This team is built to score. The defense isn't complimenting the forwards well enough to fully realize that talent. I don't want to have to win 2-1 games and rely on MAF getting peppered and standing on his head every game.

Burkle

Jul 25, 2012
Are we able to be under the cap with the current roster when Fehr returns?

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Are we able to be under the cap with the current roster when Fehr returns?

Ron, can you PLEASE fire Morehouse?

I'm beggin' you!

And Keep Rutherford. That guy has done awesome (except for Despres. PLEASE fire Guerin so Botterill is the next on bat for GM)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sounds like Bennett got hurt celebrating a goal?

Ok...I'm not sure what Bennett did in his early life...or even in a past life...but it must have been pretty bad to have karma bestow this much bad luck on him.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ron, can you PLEASE fire Morehouse?

I'm beggin' you!

And Keep Rutherford. That guy has done awesome (except for Despres. PLEASE fire Guerin so Botterill is the next on bat for GM)

No way of knowing for sure of course, but it seemed that JR had his hands tied on that one and it was the call of others, mostly Bill Guerin.

So I may not even pin Despres on JR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad