Rumor: Far Too Positive...

DancesWithWookies

Aug 22, 2011
Going 1-4-3 in the preseason.
Injury prone defense.
Lack of immediate depth.
Tons of questions marks in goal and on the second and third line.
Difficult schedule to start the season.

Don't get me wrong, I want the Jets to succeed, but its probably not going to be this year. In for the long haul. All you positive optimistic types can have your faith and hope. I'm just going to be realistic and therefore pessimistic ;)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
"The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised."

George Will

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
My goodness. NYR is 1-5 in the preseason, guess they're not making the post-season either.
It's obvious that a lot of people here are new to following a team in the pre-season. Established players don't go full out/are used as much or the same as they are in regular season. It's meaningless games and they don't want to risk injury. Often the best pre-season players are youngsters/fringe players trying to prove that they belong on the team.

Also we probably shouldn't just assume we have an injury prone defense just yet. A lot of teams had a ton of injuries last year. There was a lot of games crammed into a small period, it's bound to happen. We had a full calendar month where we didn't get 2 days off in a row.

Not saying that we're for sure going to make it, I think it's going to be very close yet again, but you're putting way too much stock into pre-season games.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
So the Jets can't score, neither can the Bombers or the zit faced kid next door who lives in his parents basement.:sarcasm:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Also we probably shouldn't just assume we have an injury prone defense just yet. A lot of teams had a ton of injuries last year. There was a lot of games crammed into a small period, it's bound to happen. We had a full calendar month where we didn't get 2 days off in a row.

It's not an assumption. How many games have Enstrom, Bogosian and Byfuglien missed for Jets 2.0?

Enstrom- 46 of 130
Bogosian- 32 of 130
Byfuglien- 21 of 130

25%...is that normal? Bogosian had his wrist fixed, so he should be more durable now, but Enstrom is a trend more than a fluke.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It's not an assumption. How many games have Enstrom, Bogosian and Byfuglien missed for Jets 2.0?

Enstrom- 46 of 130
Bogosian- 32 of 130
Byfuglien- 21 of 130

25%...is that normal? Bogosian had his wrist fixed, so he should be more durable now, but Enstrom is a trend more than a fluke.

3 years ago Tobias was trending to NEVER MISS A GAME EVER. Which is the true trend I ask you? Even at the start of last year Enstrom had missed just 30 of 410 career games (or 7% which averages out to 76 games a year).

Injuries happen, but Enstrom is FAR from injury prone, IMO.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Enstrom- 46 of 130
Bogosian- 32 of 130
Byfuglien- 21 of 130

Except that Enstrom played 3 consecutive 82 game seasons prior to coming to the Jets. He's had 3 injuries for the Jets and the 2 that I can remember him getting were borderline dirty hits from Skille and Ott. It's not like he trips and tears his groin or he has a specific recurring injury, he had Skille jump into his collarbone and then Ott charging him while he's at a standstill 4 feet away from the boards.

DancesWithWookies

Aug 22, 2011
3 years ago Tobias was trending to NEVER MISS A GAME EVER. Which is the true trend I ask you? Even at the start of last year Enstrom had missed just 30 of 410 career games (or 7% which averages out to 76 games a year).

Injuries happen, but Enstrom is FAR from injury prone, IMO.

Yeah but once you get an injury, you become far more injury prone. Just like that second concussion syndrome. It takes less and less each time to get more and more injured.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Yeah but once you get an injury, you become far more injury prone. Just like that second concussion syndrome. It takes less and less each time to get more and more injured.

That's bullcrap. You're honestly saying that Enstrom's broken collarbone factored into his back injury that he received later in the season?

Everybody has had an injury before, your "you become far more injury prone after you receive one injury" statement doesn't hold up, as that would mean that everybody ever is injury prone. Enstrom has had 3 injuries since coming to the Jets, it sucks that they kept him out for the duration that they did, but that was just what type of injuries they were. Not to mention they were completely unrelated to each other. 3 injuries in 2 seasons really isn't that much.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Depends on the injury, IMO. Concussions or shoulder injuries, yes I would say that is something that becomes more frequent. Freak injuries like Enstrom has suffered? Don't see that as being something that will continue to effect him.

I know I continue to go the Kings well, but Justin Williams would be a comparison to Enstrom, IMO. After two seasons of 75 and 41 games played, Williams went 3 years with 79, 82, 82 games played, ie the injury free years of Enstrom. Followed by injury prone years of 37, 44, 49 where he couldn't stay healthy at all like Enstrom has. Has followed that up with really healthy seasons of 73, 82, 48 (last year so 100% of games).

DancesWithWookies

Aug 22, 2011
That's bullcrap. You're honestly saying that Enstrom's broken collarbone factored into his back injury that he received later in the season?

Whoa whoa, hold on now. No need to get snippy. I'm simply saying that if you F'd up your knee one season and needed surgery, that knee is never going to be 100% again and will be more likely to get injured on a play that it might not get injured on if not previously injured. Lol.

Southern Comfort

Oct 27, 2012
Atlanta
Calling Enstrom injury prone just shows you know nothing about his past seasons. All of his injuries come from dirty plays to seperate parts of his body. C'mon guys.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Whoa whoa, hold on now. No need to get snippy. I'm simply saying that if you F'd up your knee one season and needed surgery, that knee is never going to be 100% again and will be more likely to get injured on a play that it might not get injured on if not previously injured. Lol.

Sorry, didn't mean for that to sound as harsh as it did. There are certainly injuries that can be recurring and/or cumulative, such as concussions, but it's just a strange statement to say that once you receive an injury you're automatically more injury prone. Enstrom has had 3 injuries that were just downright unlucky for him and caused him to miss time, but none were related or recurring. Back injuries could be recurring, but as it was the last injury he sustained it's impossible for us to know yet if that will be the case. Broken collarbones, while they take awhile to heal, isn't something that would affect you long term.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Everybody has had an injury before, your "you become far more injury prone after you receive one injury" statement doesn't hold up, as that would mean that everybody ever is injury prone. Enstrom has had 3 injuries since coming to the Jets, it sucks that they kept him out for the duration that they did, but that was just what type of injuries they were. Not to mention they were completely unrelated to each other. 3 injuries in 2 seasons really isn't that much.

Broken collarbones and AC joint injuries are some of the most difficult to heal COMPLETELY and they rarely do, outside of injuries to the bones and tendons of the feet and hands. Ask yourself what injuries Enstrom has suffered, and which ones more than once? He also had a non-hockey related head injury this off-season. Doesn't really matter what he did 3+ years ago, he can't erase the injuries he's suffered since then. If you think he's going to be a 82 game a year guy, even a 75 game plus guy, you're dreaming.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Broken collarbones and AC joint injuries are some of the most difficult to heal COMPLETELY and they rarely do, outside of injuries to the bones and tendons of the feet and hands. Ask yourself what injuries Enstrom has suffered, and which ones more than once? He also had a non-hockey related head injury this off-season. Doesn't really matter what he did 3+ years ago, he can't erase the injuries he's suffered since then. If you think he's going to be a 82 game a year guy, even a 75 game plus guy, you're dreaming.

Really? Have you watched Enstrom play? He plays a very safe mid-tempo game that doesn't lend many opportunities for him to get injured ala Sedins or Lidstrom. I'd bet on him continuing to be a 70+ game player.

I don't recall Enstrom having any recurring injuries, so not sure what you're getting at when you say to ask myself which injuries he's had more than once.

What non-hockey related head injury are you talking about? Is it the cut over his eye when he got mugged? That's literally the only injury that was reported in that incident and it's likely not going to be recurring.

DancesWithWookies

Aug 22, 2011
What non-hockey related head injury are you talking about? Is it the cut over his eye when he got mugged? That's literally the only injury that was reported in that incident and it's likely not going to be recurring.

Or is it? They play hockey in downtown Winnipeg. At night. In Winnipeg.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Or is it? They play hockey in downtown Winnipeg. At night. In Winnipeg.

Bahaha, you may be right. A man once threatened to hang me by my tie off of a streetlight in broad daylight if I didn't give him money right outside of the MTS Centre.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't know how much more I can take. I didn't get to see the Winnipeg win and I also missed out on the one Rangers win. So between the Jets, the Rangers and the Bombers, I've seen way too many freaking losses in a row. And a fair number of them were bad losses where the team looked lost, some from all three teams. I think I'm up to at least 15 straight losing games I've watched. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad