Fantilli gets 2 mins in the box for honesty after explaining to the refs he was not touched in the face by Harley's stick

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Thread title is misleading.

He didn't get penalized after being honest he got penalized despite of being honest.

If everyone was able to just tell the refs they had a reflex reaction to the high stick to get out of an embellishment call then it wouldn't be long before players abused it.

Makar's was different because he wasn't being assessed a penalty, or at least addressed it before the refs decided to give him one.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Thread title is misleading.

He didn't get penalized after being honest he got penalized despite of being honest.

If everyone was able to just tell the refs they had a reflex reaction to the high stick to get out of an embellishment call then it wouldn't be long before players abused it.

Makar's was different because he wasn't being assessed a penalty, or at least addressed it before the refs decided to give him one.
Was he already being called for embellishment?

Kiith Nabaal

Oct 11, 2013
Fantilli isn't an alternate captain, so he isn't allowed to do that kind of stuff anyway right? I imagine that's why he got the penalty.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Have someone swing a hockey stick at your face when you aren’t expecting it and miss you by a cm and see what your reaction is.
I understand whipping the head back. That is a normal reaction but why put your glove on your face if it was never touched?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Have someone swing a hockey stick at your face when you aren’t expecting it and miss you by a cm and see what your reaction is.

Speaking from my experience only, couldn’t count how many times I’ve got a stick to the visor and no reaction at all. Usually don’t see it coming and its over and done with before you realize. Lots of times you need to make an effort to have a reaction if it doesn’t catch you good.

Fantilli does see it coming, and reacts by turning his head and having a more upright stance. Him grabbing his face and leaning over is him selling it. I have no problem with it, nearly everyone does it. Weird of him to try and correct it, rookie mistake.

• Haha
Reactions: dukeofjive

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Elias Pettersson also gives refs the stink eye when he doesnt think the foul committed against him , warrants a penalty.

Refs must hate that.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I understand whipping the head back. That is a normal reaction but why put your glove on your face if it was never touched?
People do lots of odd things as reactions. I mean I'll accidentally hit something and say ouch out loud even though it didn't hurt at all, just cause I thought it might was enough to trigger the reaction.

Even the absence of pain isn't a guarantee something didn't happen. When I cut my hand with a doctor blade once I felt absolutely nothing, but yet ripped my glove off and started holding it just because I thought I might have. It was 3-4 hours later before I actually felt any pain.

I could easily see him putting his gloves to his face just to check because his mind told him he got hit even if he didn't. It wasn't until he got past the initial reaction that he figured out he was ok and nothing happened.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He grabs his face and drops his head, that’s not a natural reaction. He tried to sell it, which is fine, a lot of high sticks only get called when embellished.
He flinched. Why would he try to sell it only to tell the ref it didn't hit him?

Reactions: SenzZen

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
People do lots of odd things as reactions. I mean I'll accidentally hit something and say ouch out loud even though it didn't hurt at all, just cause I thought it might was enough to trigger the reaction.

Even the absence of pain isn't a guarantee something didn't happen. When I cut my hand with a doctor blade once I felt absolutely nothing, but yet ripped my glove off and started holding it just because I thought I might have. It was 3-4 hours later before I actually felt any pain.

I could easily see him putting his gloves to his face just to check because his mind told him he got hit even if he didn't. It wasn't until he got past the initial reaction that he figured out he was ok and nothing happened.
Well the putting the glove to the face is what was misleading to me. I do not blame the refs for thinking that. I believe it also fooled the TV announcer. I do not think it is a big deal though. Penalties basically offset each other.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
The rulebook may handcuff the refs in this situation. Where a call is already made, they may then need to have it either be high sticking or embellishment, and since fantilli was honest they couldn't make the highstick call. Canceling a penalty altogether may not be an option.

Hearing Fantillis sportsmanship and honesty instantly vaults him up my list of favorites tho. Hate the influx of futbol'ers who've begun playing hockey...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The reffing just seems to be getting more and more ridiculous as the years go by. When do they get held accountable for their jobs? These guys are brutal. last playoffs was some of the worst officiating I've seen.
It's because the league goes out of their way to protect these clowns. Maybe if they actually faced more public scrutiny and were held to a high standard, we'd see an improvement.

Instead, refs can (and often are) be a shit show but it's the players/coaches/managers who get punished if they dare call them out.

Reactions: hurdemz

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
91f2bc5d-fdf9-4fb5-a52e-bd8c2256fc30_text.gif

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Actually seems like a great solution to a missed call. Stick barely missed a guy and his reaction sold the penalty call, so hit them with an unsportsmanlike for embellishment (even if it wasn’t intentional) to even it up so nobody is short handed. Kudos to the ref for fixing his mistake and kudos to Fantilli for being honest.

Rarely do I disagree wholeheartedly with every word of a post, but here we are.

Kudos to the ref?????? Wow dude

Reactions: ClydeLee

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
That's my question too.

A stick near you're face you're gonna react. But if it didn't hit you there's no reason to grab your face other than sell the call

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad