Fantasy Hockey League sign up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
As someone who would like to be in a keeper league and also just joined an existing DEEP keeper league (16 teams/25 roster spots) on the main fantasy hockey page, I'm just curious on what people's feeling are on what the keeper league(s) would/should look like. The amount of teams was just brought up and while the league I just joined might be a little deep (especially for some's liking) and while I'd be ok with a league or leagues with 8 teams, IMO I'd like to be in a keeper league with 10-12, or even more teams.

And also, IS THERE a person/people willing to take the "responsibilities" of being a/the commissioner(s) in a keeper league?

Also as somebody who "rushed" to get a draft/league started with his buddies last year before the season, its definitely not the end of the world, and in some cases actually better, to start the league a week into the season. The schedules to start the season seem to normally be pretty uneven in many cases anyway.

Even 10 probably isn't enough teams for a keeper league, regardless of what the keeper set-up ends up being.

And the bolded really is the most important question.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Even 10 probably isn't enough teams for a keeper league, regardless of what the keeper set-up ends up being.

And the bolded really is the most important question.

Why do you think 10 isn't enough? I've never played in a keeper league but it seems like more than 10 would dilute the teams. I guess there would be a lot of taking #1 picks and other young guys just coming into the league but I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
It's been a little while since I have been in a keeper league, but the ones I were in always had you keep your full team. On top of that, we held a draft each year to add prospects. So, we had our NHL team and a prospect team.

I know not everyone would be interested in that. So, I am going to post a poll in a little bit for those who want to be in a keeper league. Please vote in it.

Once we know what everyone wants, we can start putting teams in leagues and getting commissioners. Teams will still be able to join after that point, but at least we can start getting things set up.

I would think it would be good, to start with, to limit leagues to 10-12 teams. Thoughts?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Why do you think 10 isn't enough? I've never played in a keeper league but it seems like more than 10 would dilute the teams. I guess there would be a lot of taking #1 picks and other young guys just coming into the league but I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

Some depends, I guess, on the keeper rules. I hadn't considered, as RD posted, the idea that you'd hold your entire roster. In that case, 12-14 teams may not allow for a team to improve itself if it has a bad year/draft/etc. I was assuming (my mistake) some sort of limited (3 or 6, i.e.) type of keeper situation.

FWIW, if we're doing a GM-type league where the entire roster is kept, I'm probably not interested. Sounds like too much work for me.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Some depends, I guess, on the keeper rules. I hadn't considered, as RD posted, the idea that you'd hold your entire roster. In that case, 12-14 teams may not allow for a team to improve itself if it has a bad year/draft/etc. I was assuming (my mistake) some sort of limited (3 or 6, i.e.) type of keeper situation.

FWIW, if we're doing a GM-type league where the entire roster is kept, I'm probably not interested. Sounds like too much work for me.

It really isn't that bad. In fact, can be easier. You keep your entire team, so you are only drafting a few prospects each year as opposed to an entire new team. The start up takes a little more work the first year. There seem to be more trades, IIRC, because teams that are out will trade players for prospects/draft picks. Where, if you are in a regular league, those teams just kind of become inactive.

There is a league for everyone. That is why I thought we would see what each person wants. I figured we could go in the order of how people signed up on here. So, if you were first to post here, you get to pick which league you want to be in if there are more than 12 signed up for a league.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Also, we can always add teams next year or have people switch leagues if they would like. I figure 10 would be great, but 12 at the most, to start for each.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Is this meant to replace the leagues we've been using so far?

Yes. I think a lot got messed up a year or 2 ago (I.E. I seem to recall being in one league when I should have been in a different one). But I could be remembering it wrong. I, and some others, thought it was probably best to just start over.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
The poll is up. Please vote. We can start signing up for the leagues and getting people to run them once we have the votes.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Yes. I think a lot got messed up a year or 2 ago (I.E. I seem to recall being in one league when I should have been in a different one). But I could be remembering it wrong. I, and some others, thought it was probably best to just start over.

Ok. We've had that structure for awhile with people graduating to the better league over time. Didn't realize we needed to start over to consider keepers, etc.

What other changes are being proposed?

I'm happy to continue to run one of them.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Ok. We've had that structure for awhile with people graduating to the better league over time. Didn't realize we needed to start over to consider keepers, etc.

Well, I should have moved up a few times and never moved up. If you want to keep it the old way, that is fine.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

That stuff fell away first when Macster left and then during the lockout. We only had two leagues last year, maybe the year before, too. We started with three. Lots of poster turnover too. Might be time for a reboot.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Well, I should have moved up a few times and never moved up. If you want to keep it the old way, that is fine.

No, that's not what I meant, I'm fine with rebooting. I just wondered if there was something that needed changed with the rules.

I won the league once and didn't move up, so I hear you.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
No, not really. Just figured I would make that an option to see if people wanted it. It looks like there is a decent amount who do. I'm hoping for one keeper league and 2 regular leagues. We will see.

IndyDave

Jul 30, 2005
What is the status of all of this? Commissioners from last year you still here? IndyDave and Super Genius?

BlueJacketBacker was commissioner of the Grinder League.

My preference would be for a regular league, but I would do a keeper league if it met balancing out the number of owner in each league. My experiences with Keeper Leagues have not been pretty in any sport - (mostly because they usually fall apart after I've finally built my young team up :)

And yes, I think I was scheduled to "move up" twice and it never happened....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad