Fans: Why does winning the cup matter to YOU?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
If nothing else, when you've been following a team for long enough, you become attached to the players and care for them as your friends. You want to see them win a championship. I really want to see all of the Sharks players win a Stanley Cup so badly. Most of them have never won and I feel like they all deserve one.

There are plenty of other reasons, but I think this one makes the most sense and does the best job of explaining this to an objective fan.

I think, in the case of most fans, this is the reason why. We get to know these guys almost on a personal level, especially in today's day and age where we have so much access to these guys via Twitter, Snapchat, and the internet in general.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I care about winning the Cup because it's the most beautiful, prestigious prize of the game I love as much as life itself. I once joked with my father that he's a SOB for not taking my mother back to Coon Rapids Minnesota where he spent his teenage years as opposed to moving to the Tampa suburbs in 1981 where they later started our family. If he had done that he would have been put me in a pair of skates as soon as I was old enough to walk and while I have no way of knowing if I would've liked it... given the fact I instantly fell in love with the game in Tampa without having seen as much as a snowflake I'd like to say it would've been a natural fit were I child of the north. But I understand now the passion of the north. I understand why hockey is printed on Canadian currency. It's a transcendent past-time like baseball, football, basketball and soccer/football.

I care about winning the Cup regardless of the product on the ice or entertainment value because I've grown to love my hockey team almost as much as anything else in my life. Believe me when I say it is HARD times in the Sunny household right now. And for just a few hours on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays I can forget about my problems. And I want us to win the Cup because I've watched the Lightning go from climbing the mountain to overnight becoming the single most pathetic organization in the NHL -now only since equaled by what's happening with the Panthers. And now it's been recently named the single best organization in all of sports.

All the crap they've been through and all the crap I put up with on a daily basis will be worth it to me because there's one night every June where I may just yet again get to say, "We did it" I became a Lightning fan because they're the team I can watch easily. It would've been no different for a young man born in the sprawling suburbs of Minneapolis who would to this day be a Wild fan.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It's the same reason you refer to your team as we/us. You either get it or you don't
There's a reason for everything we feel.

Tribalism.

It's cool seeing something associated with a group you associate with (your city) accomplish things and be the best.

It's really fun when your team wins the cup. Is it more fun if they play entertaining hockey to get there? Maybe. I don't know. I've only had my team win the cup in my lifetime playing entertaining hockey.
You get a gold star for this. Very apt term.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Same reason as any Leaf fan...so I can come on here and tell the rest of you to "go **** yourselves."

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I agree with the notion that you can enjoy seasons without winning it and that winning it is not the only success.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00