Fans: Why does winning the cup matter to YOU?

Logicize

Sep 9, 2017
Why do fans care about cups? You aren't physically holding it, nor are you earning the player bonuses that come with it.

This begs the question, as a fan, what is your goal?

Personally speaking, I prefer entertaining hockey. That is why I watch hockey. If my team were perennial contenders but never won the cup, yeah it's a bummer, but at the end of the day, I saw X games in the playoffs and enjoyed a full season of entertaining hockey. Hockey is for entertainment, after all.

I post this thread because I see this obsession with chasing the cup, which is of course the objective of hockey players, but as fans, I feel like we should have more vested interest in ENTERTAINING hockey. Perhaps winning will become a byproduct of that, but I won't lose sleep over it. Cup or no cup, my life isn't impacted. Dull or exciting hockey? My life is certainly changed, given how many hours I spend watching.

Reactions: Sk8M8 and socko

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
It's not easily explained. But essentially I'm emotionally invested in the success of the team I follow. All those hundreds of hours need justification, even if it's just an arbitrary "yay my team won!".

Also, I like seeing all the other teams lose.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I have wondered this myself. What do I care about a team of non local/native people winning a championship or even a game? I don’t have an answer. I don’t understand why we cheer for these athletes to succeed as if it somehow makes us fans a part of the victory.

Reactions: BTP

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If nothing else, when you've been following a team for long enough, you become attached to the players and care for them as your friends. You want to see them win a championship. I really want to see all of the Sharks players win a Stanley Cup so badly. Most of them have never won and I feel like they all deserve one.

There are plenty of other reasons, but I think this one makes the most sense and does the best job of explaining this to an objective fan.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I've wondered this as well from time to time - seems a bit odd that we go crazy hoping 23 guys we don't know realise their dreams :laugh:

I think that one of the main features of sport is picking one team to win over the other, thereby investing you in the outcome. Winning the Cup is then what happens when the team you want to win just keeps winning.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It's not easily explained. But essentially I'm emotionally invested in the success of the team I follow. All those hundreds of hours need justification, even if it's just an arbitrary "yay my team won!".

Also, I like seeing all the other teams lose.

Pretty much this. I also like seeing certain players who, for whatever reason, have overcome adversity in their career and finally life the Cup.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Tribalism.

It's cool seeing something associated with a group you associate with (your city) accomplish things and be the best.

It's really fun when your team wins the cup. Is it more fun if they play entertaining hockey to get there? Maybe. I don't know. I've only had my team win the cup in my lifetime playing entertaining hockey.

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014
Winning a cup involves luck for sure.. as long as my team is a serious contender and capable of winning one any given year then i'm happy. there are 31 teams and only 1 wins every year. if its cup or nothing, its likely more of a chore to watch than entertainment.. for me at least.

Reactions: YandleBar

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Hum... because in any competitive sport the ultimate goal is to be crowned champion? Of course you want your favorite team to be crowned the best team in the league! More over, for a lot of fans this rarely happens (if ever) during their lifetime.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Why do fans care about cups? You aren't physically holding it, nor are you earning the player bonuses that come with it.

Personally speaking, I prefer entertaining hockey. That is why I watch hockey. If my team were perennial contenders but never won the cup, yeah it's a bummer, but at the end of the day, I saw X games in the playoffs and enjoyed a full season of entertaining hockey. Hockey is for entertainment, after all.

I post this thread because I see this obsession with chasing the cup, which is of course the objective of hockey players, but as fans, I feel like we should have more vested interest in ENTERTAINING hockey. Perhaps winning will become a byproduct of that, but I won't lose sleep over it. Cup or no cup, my life isn't impacted. Dull or exciting hockey? My life is certainly changed, given how many hours I spend watching.

Couldn't care less. Having my country win gold at international events is cool because of the national pride/patriotism aspect (though it's inflated obviously) but having Billionaire McTwirlystache's team from the McBurger Arena with a bunch of players from Bakustan bought over the summer win the cup doesn't do much at all, especially considering how much it is a product of everything going right. Only caveat is if you win the cup your team plays as many games as possible and since they got that far they probably played them at a high level (assuming they didn't Guy Boucher their way to a cup obviously). But entertaining jaw dropping flashy play from McDavid/Ovi/Malkin/Karlsson/Datsyuk/Hasek back in the day > cup all day long

Reactions: Logicize

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
If the sens don't win the cup in my lifetime I'm not gonna die with a smile on my face. That's been my saying since I was 8 years old and still is. To me my team is my city, they give to our charities, hospitals, schools and community.

Also the wild street party that would ensue

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Because the memories of winning a championship are probably going to be the fondest memories for sport fans. I don't think it really defines the accomplishments of a team, but it's important that you get at least one when it matters, or it can tarnish or muddy some of your memories of a team, player, whatever.

Can't really say I've experienced it yet in Toronto sports but it doesn't really change my passion or fondness.

It really comes down to memories/feelings that you can cherish. It's not about anything else, like bickering with fans who has it better or other nonsense.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
its true, I do wonder about this, I often wonder if I get to see my team win a cup if it is going to be an "empty" feeling, like who gives a crap? I have never witnessed a team I have been a huge fan of ever win a Championship, closest I came was seeing the Mets lose in the World Series in 2015 and I can assure I definitely wanted them to win, I guess you get emotionally invested in a team early on in life and the goal is to win the whole thing, there are people who are not into sports at all who think it is pathetic that people root for a team they have no actual part on and I can't say I blame them, especially if my teams are eliminated from any playoff contention I stop caring and I am looking at fans of other teams that are still in it and they are going crazy and I am thinking god how pathetic are these people.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

All hockey is entertaining hockey, especially when you get to such a high level. And when you have an interest in a particular team, their battle for success is a significant part of the entertainment.

Plus, teams are heavily involved in local interests. You aren't just rooting for faceless sacks of meat in a jersey, you're rooting for people and an organization that is part of your community. Your daily life might not be or seem to be impacted by that, but a lot of lives in your immediate world are. Maybe your neighbor. Maybe businesses that employ people who, in turn, make your life possible.

The idea of "I won't lose sleep over it," implies what, that other fans are losing sleep over it? Maybe not literally, but that you don't share the same level of investment. Well, so what? You're basically asking people to justify why they have different priorities or why they care about something more than you do. That's a far stranger place to stand than wanting your favorite team to win.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Satisfaction of overcoming odds, proving your team is the best, overcoming adversity, seeing a whole team of people have their dreams come true, effort and work paying off...

Think about watching a YouTube video about someone who got mad gains and multiple it by 23, then realize that your teams is connected to you and your city so multiple that by 100....

Logicize

Sep 9, 2017
All hockey is entertaining hockey, especially when you get to such a high level. And when you have an interest in a particular team, their battle for success is a significant part of the entertainment.

Plus, teams are heavily involved in local interests. You aren't just rooting for faceless sacks of meat in a jersey, you're rooting for people and an organization that is part of your community. Your daily life might not be or seem to be impacted by that, but a lot of lives in your immediate world are. Maybe your neighbor. Maybe businesses that employ people who, in turn, make your life possible.

The idea of "I won't lose sleep over it," implies what, that other fans are losing sleep over it? Maybe not literally, but that you don't share the same level of investment. Well, so what? You're basically asking people to justify why they have different priorities or why they care about something more than you do. That's a far stranger place to stand than wanting your favorite team to win.

While I appreciate the coherent response, I detect a level of emotion and hostility that is unwarranted. Yes, the phrase is "I won't lose sleep" and yes, that likely implies others may lose sleep, but your leap toward levels of investment and justification of priorities are a little on the deep end. Cool it. The statement refers to those having an attachment to winning versus attachment to entertainment, but not attachment to hockey. Please temper your emotions.

On to coherent conversation.
1) Not all hockey is entertaining in my opinion. You may feel so, but do not state otherwise as fact. Trapping is not entertaining to me, no matter how beautiful system play may be.
2) Battle for success is a significant part of entertainment is true.
3) Local interests is highly overstated in my opinion. While team success can take hold of a city, it is the journey to the cup that is taking hold. The actual winning of the cup is the cherry, with a parade following, but in aggregate, is but a slice of the city's fever. This is why I feel as though entertainment trumps winning the cup.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
In team sports a championship cup is a token that represent the best team in a season within that sport. That is not questionable as by definition, the best team wins the cup. It's ultimate measurement of "bestness" of a team in it's collective, competitive effort. Team, not individual is the key measurement here. So, your internally coherent unit of above average individual players can form better team, then other group that includes several superstars, scoring leaders etc.

In other words: there never can happen situation where 2nd best team wins the cup, as the cup itself is the indicator to which team is the best. From fans point of view, they get part of their team's successes and failures in the competition for that token of "bestness". Team's players try to best in their competitive sport for their team, as they couldn't ever do it by themselves alone. Excitement and entertainment to fans comes from their dedication to their team, it's players, and the goal itself. Fans live the shared dream with the players of their team for the common goal: to be best.

Good 6th player can be sometimes even decisive factor in how the team becomes the best, by winning The Cup. And if there are no drive for that Cup, there are no much point in any kind competition either within that sport. In a game where ultimately can be only one winner while others are losers to a various degree, The Cup is the concrete piece of evidence for that Your team was the best in that particular season.

Logicize

Sep 9, 2017
My suspicion is that it is human nature to want to be a part of success. Everyone wants to feel like a winner. Perhaps in sports this is amplified to a degree in which I take objection.

When players win a cup, it is theirs. By the same token, when I think of, say, what is an Oiler? I think of the lifelong fans. I don't think of the players - they're hired assassins allegiant to any team that pays. It is, indeed, paradoxical.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
NHL have so long history and it is so institutionalized these days, that it is easy to lose the sight to the ultimate point of Top level hockey. Few articles on totally extra-hockey team sports tells beautifully about that other side, someone would say most important aspect of a team sport... and winning a cup in it.

Also about an era of that particular sport when it isn't yet over institutionalized out of reach of an everymen (and anywomen). :)

Finland Has a Sports Screw Loose
Swamp Soccer World Championships - a wacky Finnish sports event - fallintofinland.com
Swamp football: Kicking the ‘beautiful game’ into the quagmire

What might be that feeling when winning the tournament and being able to say: "I'm world champion!"

The point of this comment is written between the lines of these articles. :)

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
I am a hockey fan first, Canucks fan second.

I watch the Stanley Cup Playoffs every year religiously, regardless of which teams are in or out. Along the way I get invested in certain teams, based on various story lines such as: players from my hometown, former Canucks, style of play, etc. Watching teams compete for the Cup is incredible; primarily because it is the greatest game on earth, but also because of what it brings out of these athletes. The way hockey players elevate and morph their games in the playoffs and when the cup is in sight is all the entertainment I need.

Growing up in Canada, the Stanley Cup is built into the culture, and as someone engaged in sports, an important part of the national tapestry that keeps you engaged and drives you. As a young player I of course dreamed of winning the Cup. Speaking as a Canadian, it's clear why the Cup is important, the iconography alone moves us. I do always wonder if it is different for non-Canadians competing for the Cup. I suppose it must be.

Now, back to my opening statement - if I were able to know, for certain, that the Canucks would never win the Stanley Cup, I would stop supporting and cheering for them. I would not have a team that I supported and cheered for, and that wouldn't hinder my enjoyment of hockey and the NHL. I would continue to follow and watch as a hockey fan, as described above. I do not have a MLB team that I specifically support, but I get great entertainment from the sport, and specifically the MLB playoffs, nonetheless. So, this adds even more credence to the Stanley Cup and me 'chasing' it through 'my' team. Here's why.

Professional sports teams can't exist without their fans. Economically, this is simple. We pay the money for the entertainment, they put on a show for us. This may seem like a simple idea, but I take it to heart, and a step further.
While I said I get invested in and entertained from all NHL teams/seasons and Stanley Cup playoffs, my strongest memories of absorbing the NHL are of course the Canucks runs of 1994 and 2011 (I wasn't around for 1982), as well as the strong seasons of '02-'03, '03-'04, '08-'09, '09-'10, '11-'12. This is because I was emotionally invested. I, along with many of you, find this concept silly on the surface. Looking deeper though, I am at peace with my fandom of this particular team.

Being born and raised in a certain city formed the ties. Once I was old enough to be a contributing member of society, I realized it was me, along with thousands/millions of others that were keeping this team afloat, and had brought it into existence in the first place. This brings a sense of ownership. While I am an infinitesimally small piece of the puzzle, when the Canucks finally do win a Stanley Cup, I will be overwrought with joy, and standing front and centre at the end of the parade.

Although, if that never happens, I'll continue watching some amazing athlete hoist the Stanley Cup year after year, from now until I can no longer do so, and enjoy every minute of it.

That's why I care about the Cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady Macbeth

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
Seeing the team you root for win a championship is one of the best feelings and will create great memories for the fans that will stay with them for life.

As a hockey fan from outside North America it's not as easy to get connected to a team. I'd say depending on how many years you've followed a certain team you don't necessarily feel bad when they lose but you still feel good when they win.

I was a New York Giants fan for two seasons when they won the Super Bowl in 2007. For me the second Super Bowl win in 2011 was sweeter as I'd been more invested in the team by that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad