Fans: "Refs you suck!! Refs you suck!!"

Seair

Feb 2, 2019
Seems the initial intent of any rule is taken beyond common sense. Just an example: defenseman shoots a puck high over everyone to clear the zone. Opponent's defenseman, with no one near him, raises his stick and stops the puck above his head. Drops to the ice and is played. Play stops because the high stick rule. Seriously, this is the intent of the high stick rule?
And another thing, ;), when players "drop the gloves", they
should also have to remove helmets and visors. Only for safety reasons. We don't want hand injuries.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
People can go back in my post history but over a decade ago I made a thread saying “this playoffs can we just lay off the ref talk?” Every playoffs and even during the season “officiating is a joke” bla bla bla.

I knew it was a lost cause I just wanted a playoff free of all that crap, it’s gotten worse every year since, I’ve been here since 04 and watching playoffs since i was six in 93, and it just gets worse every year and NO it’s not because they’ve gotten worse, it’s because the platform gets louder to complain.

Reactions: Tuomas Rauhala

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
Typical.

Discredit those who have a complaint.

I can only gather you are a referee. ;)
Hockey refereeing is one of the best officiating on any major sport. Thats just a fact. The sport is marginal compared to football and The officiating is lightyears ahead. Even with introduction of VAR its still shambles (or worse than it was). Watch a few games of La Liga and youll never complaining about a hockey ref ever.

I discredit those who complain about stuff that there is nothing to complain about. Refs are human beings and The rule book is up for interpertation. Its not like Every game is littered with obvious mistakes, cause they are not.

Most of the noisy fans that chant that crap dont have a slightest idea what they are watching either so its no suprise I guess.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Hockey refereeing is one of the best officiating on any major sport. Thats just a fact. The sport is marginal compared to football and The officiating is lightyears ahead. Even with introduction of VAR its still shambles (or worse than it was). Watch a few games of La Liga and youll never complaining about a hockey ref ever.

I discredit those who complain about stuff that there is nothing to complain about. Refs are human beings and The rule book is up for interpertation. Its not like Every game is littered with obvious mistakes, cause they are not.

Most of the noisy fans that chant that crap dont have a slightest idea what they are watching either so its no suprise I guess.

Totally, people don’t understand how hard and how smart and how thankless of a job it is and it’s ironic because people bash bettman and the refs more then anything and those are two things that are actually pretty great in comparison to other leagues or the past.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Well. It uses to be that some fanbases would chant "a-hole" towards the refs. This is the replacement.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
It's a problem but the league is terrified to admit it. The standards change minute to minute based on game managment by these officials who should have no part in said game management.

The only positive is they are so bad now that every team loses equally. Fans as well.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The biggest issue is consistency. And that's why people get so fired up about it. Whether it's the consistency between regular season and playoffs (they are called entirely differently), or even from game to game. It's just inconsistent as hell. I don't think it really favors anyone in particular, but some of the mishaps in the playoffs are unacceptable.

I'm not trying to whine. It's rarely the fault of the officials for a loss. But, I get why people are upset.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
The biggest issue is consistency. And that's why people get so fired up about it. Whether it's the consistency between regular season and playoffs (they are called entirely differently), or even from game to game. It's just inconsistent as hell. I don't think it really favors anyone in particular, but some of the mishaps in the playoffs are unacceptable.

I'm not trying to whine. It's rarely the fault of the officials for a loss. But, I get why people are upset.
Thats the issue. But it has nothing to do with the chanting rednecks who hate a ref just cause he calls against their team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad