"Fan" apology in Journal.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Sorry if this has already been discussed and I'm late to the party...

https://twitter.com/JasonGregor/statuses/449940271149490177
Bj55r5cCYAMlCTd.jpg

Apparently some "fan" paid possibly over 1,000 dollars to post this apology to the team in the paper.

Maybe it is a real fan who thinks he is better than people who actually demand effort and accountability, but it's probably management again. Most GMs/owners would just make changes to improve the team instead of fighting with their fans.....

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The team probably paid for this.:laugh:

Also I think that throwing jerseys is disrespectful. I stick with this team through thick and thin. If your not willing to then **** off.

As a paying fan who paid for tickets and merchandise, it is their right to do so if they wish and if that's their way of making a statement, so be it. It doesn't bump them down on the fan tier scale or make them any less of a fan than anyone else. In fact, I have more respect for those people than the sheep that blindly and loyally would follow this organization off the edge of a cliff.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
As a paying fan who paid for tickets and merchandise, it is their right to do so if they wish and if that's their way of making a statement, so be it. It doesn't bump them down on the fan tier scale or make them any less of a fan than anyone else. In fact, I have more respect for those people than the sheep that blindly and loyally would follow this organization off the edge of a cliff.

I understand where the people complaining about jersey-tossers are coming from, but I'm also not about to write an email or ad to the Oilers saying "Hey I'm sorry that us fans who spend a ton of money on you aren't accepting nepotism, arrogance, and the worst suckage in the league. We should really try to be better while you refuse to improve the team."

The first jersey toss was awesome, and it SHOULD have stopped there, but management refuses to make changes, so it should and will continue.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Strange that he calls himself a Canadian, not an Edmontonian or Oilers fan despite using "we" and "in this city".

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
He's right. I don't care how bad the team is, the jersey throwing is bull**** and needs to stop. I wouldn't have bought an ad in a paper though - that makes anyone look like a lemming.

edit - looks like I'm the only one in the thread so far who's not interested in patting each other on the back for justifying such "bold statements" as throwing another jersey on the ice. Unsurprised.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
He's right. I don't care how bad the team is, the jersey throwing is bull**** and needs to stop. I wouldn't have bought an ad in a paper though - that makes anyone look like a lemming.

His letter should have read "Dear Oilers fans, Please stop throwing jerseys on the ice because it makes me uncomfortable." He doesn't have to apologize to the Oilers, they don't care.

Dear Walmart, I'm sorry you had to deal with a rude customer lately.
Dear Rogers, I'm sorry your customers are upset over their phone bills.
Dear McDonalds, I'm sorry health conscious people bash your food choices.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
good thing jay brown spent over a $1000.00 on something so ridiculous as that - the edmonton oilers are bending the city over on the arena deal and they deserve respect? Give me a break

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
1000 of us should all chip in $1 each and write about how much the team blows and Oiler fans deserve better... of course we already all know that so **** it and just keep on complaining here for free.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I understand where the people complaining about jersey-tossers are coming from, but I'm also not about to write an email or ad to the Oilers saying "Hey I'm sorry that us fans who spend a ton of money on you aren't accepting nepotism, arrogance, and the worst suckage in the league. We should really try to be better while you refuse to improve the team."

The first jersey toss was awesome, and it SHOULD have stopped there, but management refuses to make changes, so it should and will continue.

Yep. Absolutely agree.

I think most of us, even the biggest detractors, would be a lot more lenient in our criticism of the organization if it would show even the slightest tangible evidence that the owner and management were committed to improving the on-ice product and making the franchise competitive again. If this wasn't a Canadian team, and the arena was half empty every night and the bottom line was hurting I have no doubt that Katz and Co. would expedite the wholesale changes required until things had been turned around.

Having a fervent, loyal and overly patient fan base shouldn't preclude them from doing the same. But as the years march on, the more and more it looks like they're not only taking advantage of that fact, but taking it for granted as well. I think that's what irks me most.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
My quick fix to get the fans to stop throwing jerseys, booing, and leaving empty seats: give them what they want.

Fire Kevin Lowe, he's had a good long run
Fire the assistants, they suck and Bucky was useless even in the minors.
Bring in decent players and tell the players to hit, forecheck, and backcheck.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Yep. Absolutely agree.

I think most of us, even the biggest detractors, would be a lot more lenient in our criticism of the organization if it would show even the slightest tangible evidence that the owner and management were committed to improving the on-ice product and making the franchise competitive again. If this wasn't a Canadian team, and the arena was half empty every night and the bottom line was hurting I have no doubt that Katz and Co. would expedite the wholesale changes required until things had been turned around.

Having a fervent, loyal and overly patient fan base shouldn't preclude them from doing the same. But as the years march on, the more and more it looks like they're not only taking advantage of that fact, but taking it for granted as well. I think that's what irks me most.

MacTavish traded a player who wasn't developing for a 25 goal (so far) scorer. Dumped our old sieve for a good vet 3rd liner. Literally JUST traded for two new goaltenders. All veritable steals. Does that not mean anything to anyone?

The "slightest tangible evidence" is there, but no one actually cares to see it. Now, it's not translating into wins, which is what REALLY matters, but don't anybody act like the GM isn't at least trying.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
maybe the oilers should change the jerseys so that when people toss them on the ice in disgust it won't offend the alumni whom I'm sure aren't embarrassed at all by what's happening on the ice as it is.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
MacTavish traded a player who wasn't developing for a 25 goal (so far) scorer. Dumped our old sieve for a good vet 3rd liner. Literally JUST traded for two new goaltenders. All veritable steals. Does that not mean anything to anyone?

The "slightest tangible evidence" is there, but no one actually cares to see it. Now, it's not translating into wins, which is what REALLY matters, but don't anybody act like the GM isn't at least trying.

Perron has been a great deal; no ifs, ands or buts about it. But speaking on MPS... one has to wonder if the Oilers flawed developmental system at both the AHL and NHL level isn't partly to blame for why so many of our "highly touted" prospects and high draft picks haven't panned out the way we (and the org) thought they would.

But in a results oriented business, that is all that matters. I actually don't have too many qualms about MacTavish; he's shored up the goaltending and has made a couple moves that I've liked. After seven years though, this organization's acumen for making moves that have paid off in the long run hasn't been exemplary so I'm hesitant to believe much based on such a small sample size.

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
Probably a stunt from a radio station, probably from one of the more immature radio stations.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

1) As much as people love Perron he is simply not what this team needed the most. He's another smalled skilled forward with marginally more grit.

2) He went into the season essentially telling everyone he had no confidence in the starter and his soltuion was to sign lolbarbera.

3) I'll wait for the steals to see if the tending is sustainable, at least now it is nhl worthy.

The Gm is trying really really reallyt hard, he just is not qualified to be in the position and is hampered by a horrible decision on a coach.

The team stinks and has stunk for years, not only that the leaders of the front office are arrogant and have no clue as to why the team is still bad other than 'give it time.'

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So this guy is less of a fan because he refuses to succumb to the neverending doom and gloom that has invaded HFOil? I would say that his fandom is showing through here. Just because he disagrees doesn't make him less of a fan.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
1) As much as people love Perron he is simply not what this team needed the most. He's another smalled skilled forward with marginally more grit.

2) He went into the season essentially telling everyone he had no confidence in the starter and his soltuion was to sign lolbarbera.

3) I'll wait for the steals to see if the tending is sustainable, at least now it is nhl worthy.

The Gm is trying really really reallyt hard, he just is not qualified to be in the position and is hampered by a horrible decision on a coach.

The team stinks and has stunk for years, not only that the leaders of the front office are arrogant and have no clue as to why the team is still bad other than 'give it time.'

What a load of bs. Just because Perron isn't a power forward you are discounting the steal that was Pajaarvi for Perron? Get over it.

He was rumored to be in Schneider and Bernier, but both were sent to the East instead of a division rival. Can't fault MacT for that. He fixed (or at very least improved) the goaltending situation as soon as he could.

This team does stink, but MacT has done a good job of bringing in better depth players (Dubnyk for Hendricks? Yes please). He hasn't hit a home run for a #1 d-man or big #2 centre, but have any of those been moved at all since he has been in this role?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad