Fan 960

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Does anyone know what the heck is going on over there? Warrener, Boomer, Pinder, and Nault have all left. Anyone know anything on the inside why?

I’ve been listening to that station for forever. I was sad when Maher left, but it made sense. Was really sad about Kerr, but I got it. But everyone has just left all in a span of 1-2 months.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I thought video killed the radio star 40 years ago.

This is just the hollowed remains being swallowed by a sinkhole. Doesn’t make enough money as a medium I would guess so they are slowly cutting the kabosh (thats a word I think) on the whole thing.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Does anyone know what the heck is going on over there? Warrener, Boomer, Pinder, and Nault have all left. Anyone know anything on the inside why?

I’ve been listening to that station for forever. I was sad when Maher left, but it made sense. Was really sad about Kerr, but I got it. But everyone has just left all in a span of 1-2 months.
Boomer just quit suddenly with no reason given. Probably because Rogers puts the squeeze on anybody who is in line to make more money.
I assumed Warrener quit because he'd just had enough of getting up early, but maybe he felt he should get some more cheese and they said no.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I remember Nault being asked by someone on his last day, said he was leaving media and had been looking at a change for 18 months, only was recently that it all came together.

Had no idea that Pinder and Warrener had left. Dont listen much over the summer.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
While this is true. It’s happened with TV as well. TSN and Sportsnet. Mainstream news as well. CTV has also made big changes.

But back to the Fan, these guys supposedly left on their own.

Like most radio guys--they left when their contracts were getting renewed and extended and suddenly saw they were going to be paid a lot less or reduction in what they were going to do and have access to

I had two buddies who work at tsn radio in Vancouver and according to the official press release they left on their own accord. Unofficially they left because one of the guys was asked to take a 50% reduction in pay and the other guy was told his contract was not getting renewed

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Like most radio guys--they left when their contracts were getting renewed and extended and suddenly saw they were going to be paid a lot less or reduction in what they were going to do and have access to

I had two buddies who work at tsn radio in Vancouver and according to the official press release they left on their own accord. Unofficially they left because one of the guys was asked to take a 50% reduction in pay and the other guy was told his contract was not getting renewed
I wonder why this is happening though?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I wonder why this is happening though?
Media Beast is cantered out of TO and about 5 years ago the radio guys decided to have operation's out of TO meaning that program director is not needed in the individual stations.

Also what they did was they offered the guys the chance to "buy" their slot. Meaning they will pay X amount of bucks for it and it would be up to them to sell ad time. I know a few guys in Edmonton bought their time slot.

If the on air personality declined to buy their time slot, stations will either sack them or ask them to take a pay cut. Only guys in radio that I know still make money are guys who own their show

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Media Beast is cantered out of TO and about 5 years ago the radio guys decided to have operation's out of TO meaning that program director is not needed in the individual stations.

Also what they did was they offered the guys the chance to "buy" their slot. Meaning they will pay X amount of bucks for it and it would be up to them to sell ad time. I know a few guys in Edmonton bought their time slot.

If the on air personality declined to buy their time slot, stations will either sack them or ask them to take a pay cut. Only guys in radio that I know still make money are guys who own their show
I mean I guess it makes sense. Most of the world today is listening to Podcasts anyway.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
George Rusic and Matt Rose is the next morning show duo.

My only experience of George is the ‘This or That’ segment he used to do as a guest. Honestly wanted to stab my ears with fire during it.

I like Marty Rose but I don’t think he’s Pinder or Boomer or Rhett.

Too bad they didn’t get Brent Krahn.

They had such a good thing going…

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

I used to always listen to it on my way to work in the morning. Tuned in the other day and didn't recognize any of the voices or the familiar banter. Sportsnet is obviously making changes. Don't know why.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
It looks like Boomer might be starting up a podcast with Pinder and Warrener from what's been posted on Twitter. I'd listen to that for sure.

It was mentioned a bunch in the comments, but Holy shit does Pinder ever look like Mike Smith now.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Boomer, Pinder and Warrener have that new Barn Burner podcast. Warrener's audio sounds like he has a professional mic. Boomer and Pinder sound like they're talking into their laptops realtek crap factory mics, or they're being recorded by somebody's phone from across the room.

Edit: After the break, they seemed to have fixed their audio.

Reactions: Snazu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad