Fake crowd noise

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Seriously, what the hell gives?

If you haven't noticed, the NHL is adding loud, screeching crowd noise at what appears to be complete random cuts to their video game recaps.

It is not from the broadcast; the league adds it in post and I'm honestly completely dumbfounded at how this can be allowed to happen.

If it weren't consistently in all the recaps now I'd think there was some kind of glitch or mistake, but they're clearly doing it deliberately and must be thinking it's good production value.

Anyone else super annoyed catching the highlights nowadays? Fortunately Sportsnet doesn't do this but I find their video quality lower.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
How are there going to be copyright claims on their own product?
They don't own the music that plays in arenas. Or at least would potentially be in a position to have false claims filed against their videos for having said music in it since Youtube's system is garbage.

But I don't know, I'm just making a guess. It's strange to me that it only occurs during replays where you would otherwise hear music in the background. If they just wanted to fake the crowd noise I feel like they'd have it going the whole time.

Last edited:

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Music gets autoclaimed on YouTube a lot and even though the NHL almost certainly could win those appeals it's not worth the hassle. I mostly hear it over the music pre-faceoff etc.

I do wonder how Sportsnet etc don't have that problem though.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Seriously, what the hell gives?

If you haven't noticed, the NHL is adding loud, screeching crowd noise at what appears to be complete random cuts to their video game recaps.

It is not from the broadcast; the league adds it in post and I'm honestly completely dumbfounded at how this can be allowed to happen.

If it weren't consistently in all the recaps now I'd think there was some kind of glitch or mistake, but they're clearly doing it deliberately and must be thinking it's good production value.

Anyone else super annoyed catching the highlights nowadays? Fortunately Sportsnet doesn't do this but I find their video quality lower.
Yeah, it's really annoying. Makes some of the highlights a real chore to watch, and it's also cringe.

They don't own the music that plays in arenas. Or at least would potentially be in a position to have false claims filed against their videos for having said music in it since Youtube's system is garbage.

But I don't know, I'm just making a guess. It's strange to me that it only occurs during replays where you would otherwise hear music in the background. If they just wanted to fake the crowd noise I feel like they'd have it going the whole time.
Okay, so random radio stations have licenses to play the songs but NHL that has tens of billions cannot secure some sweaty licenses to not have to deal with that? Let's not pretend that playing music is impossible.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Okay, so random radio stations have licenses to play the songs but NHL that has tens of billions cannot secure some sweaty licenses to not have to deal with that? Let's not pretend that playing music is impossible.
Random radio stations can't have false copyright claims filed against them by literally anybody like you can on Youtube.

Hypothetically the NHL should be able to just cut a deal with YT so they don't have to worry about Content ID flagging and removing their videos but they should also be able to post highlights in at least 1080p and they're too cheap to do that, too, so who knows.

Last edited:

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Random radio stations can't have false copyright claims filed against them by literally anybody like you can on Youtube.

Hypothetically the NHL should be able to just cut a deal with YT so they don't have to worry about Content ID flagging and removing their videos but they should also be able to post highlights in at least 1080p and they're too cheap to do that, too, so who knows.
Sports is generally shot in 720p. Some sports have started offering 4K on some or all content so I suspect there will never be 1080p for most sports, it'll just transition to 4K directly over time.

Reactions: DaveG

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020

That not how it work, YT don't own any licensing to the song

-They allow artist to post theirs music for some royalties
-They just enforce takedown claim to not get bothered\sued
-They don't possess, so wont grant licensing

The easiest way around it, is to have music that is being played in the venue pre-licensed to be included in the video. usually called blanket licensing.

Reactions: DaveG

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
That not how it work, YT don't own any licensing to the song

-They allow artist to post theirs music for some royalties
-They just enforce takedown claim to not get bothered\sued
-They don't possess, so wont grant licensing

The easiest way around it, is to have music that is being played in the venue pre-licensed to be included in the video. usually called blanket licensing.
I'm not suggesting they grant any licenses, I'm more suggesting that if both parties know that any (likely automated) Content ID claims that get filed because of background audio are illegitimate then YT could probably just... prevent it from happening. Though I'm not sure where it falls under fair use, I guess. Either way YT shoots first and ask questions later with every copyright claim, and copyright claims aren't difficult to make, and are very often made in error. If it is actually a problem, somebody at the NHL has to file disputes and jump through a bunch of hoops, so maybe they're just making sure they don't have to.

All still just a guess, though.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Yeah, it's really annoying. Makes some of the highlights a real chore to watch, and it's also cringe.

I'm no copyright expert but I would imagine that it's the arena that is in possession of the license to play the music, not the NHL itself for its highlight packages. Just my guess, at least.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
They left the 2020 "add crowd noise" switch on.

I hate that they shorten goal highlights to end before the goal horn on NHL app highlights and don't show fights. Wtf

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad