"Fake" crowd noise

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
There are a few arenas where certain fans bring in a trumpet or horn or something to get the other fans to cheer. This bothers me. It's fake. You can bring in a horn? I'll bring in a drum! You'll bring in a band! I'll bring in an organ!

You see my point? No "fake" crowd noise items should be allowed. It's not real, for one. And it's a snowball waiting to roll, for another.

What are your thoughts on it? (I fully expect those teams with them in use to lambaste me without thinking it through, as per usual)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
No issue. I've been in rinks where there is a drum, a trumpet, cowbells... those inflatable beater things.

I was thinking this was going to be about rinks that pipe in the sound of cheering or have lame "make some noise" meter graphics that display on the scoreboard.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I think its stupid, especially when things like that can get an away fan kicked out in some places.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There are a few arenas where certain fans bring in a trumpet or horn or something to get the other fans to cheer. This bothers me. It's fake. You can bring in a horn? I'll bring in a drum! You'll bring in a band! I'll bring in an organ!

You see my point? No "fake" crowd noise items should be allowed. It's not real, for one. And it's a snowball waiting to roll, for another.

What are your thoughts on it? (I fully expect those teams with them in use to lambaste me without thinking it through, as per usual)
From gambling on Euro hockey on Bet365, and then watching the streams, I have seen drums at games. I'm pretty sure it was a crazy batch of Finns, but I may be wrong on the league.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
And don't let Claude Scott know about this thread. He'll come hang off the glass and blow his horn in your face.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't see the problem at all, and this happens in literally every sport. I've seen it with my own eyes. In fact, it's much more prominent elsewhere. It's still noise, just like yelling and clapping.

I thought you were going to talk about 'fake' crowd noise pumped in in the arena and on TV, that's kind of goofy to me but hey, different strokes for different folks.

seoulbro

Jan 26, 2010
Ottawa
I think that in the regular season, most arenas have fake crowd noise. When I attend Senator games, and that stupid crowd noise meter thing pops up in the Jumbotron, it gets louder but no one around me or in the sections next to me are cheering. I always make a point of checking for this, and it never fails. Sure there are a few, but nowhere near the amount needed to make the noise in m hearing in the rink.

Playoffs though? That is 100% genuine cheering. Like goosebumps kinda stuff.

As for the dudes with the horn and the drum, call me old fashion, but I love those guys. They add to the whole "going to the hockey game" experience. I can hear, literally, all the songs they play between whistles on my way home on the radio..

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
From gambling on Euro hockey on Bet365, and then watching the streams, I have seen drums at games. I'm pretty sure it was a crazy batch of Finns, but I may be wrong on the league.

The Niagara Falls Thunder used to have a drum with their mascot and a couple people with cowbells -- big bells that would choke a Walken.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Hipster? More like anti hipster. THIS is old fashioned. You wouldn't have any instruments in arenas in the pre-90's. Are you too young to know what hipster really means?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The stupid horns should be banned. Probably the most annoying thing to listen to on the TV. Especially when they do in every 5 minutes.

Most arena's actually do ban them.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
6e301e04021c13733cea5f24ba752088.jpg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hipster? More like anti hipster. THIS is old fashioned. You wouldn't have any instruments in arenas in the pre-90's. Are you too young to know what hipster really means?

Except Claude Scott who seemed like he was at every Nordique game ever in the '80's.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

Ah yes, the good ol' "If you disagree, you're wrong!" defense.

Noise is noise. Why does it matter how those noises are made?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
lol I thought this thread would be about broadcasting companies adding "laugh-track"-like crowd noise to live broadcasts of teams with low fan attendance.

I was both relieved and annoyed to learn otherwise.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I say devices like described should not be allowed. I don't want to sit next to someone banging a drum or whatnots during the game.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007

Arguing with the most hipster of hipster responses.

This thread is a textbook masterpiece.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
No issue. I've been in rinks where there is a drum, a trumpet, cowbells... those inflatable beater things.

I was thinking this was going to be about rinks that pipe in the sound of cheering or have lame "make some noise" meter graphics that display on the scoreboard.
100% this. I see nothing wrong with instruments and also thought it would be about fake cheering being broadcasted through the speakers.

There are a few OHL teams that have fans who bring instruments. When we had the Belleville Bulls, two genuine fans brought instruments. One brought a trumpet and would play now and then during games. The other guy brought a pair of symbols and when the Bulls scored he would crash them in a different section after every goal. Even the Ottawa Senators have a fan section for die-hard Sens fans, which is led by a drum...much like soccer matches. In the end the instruments add to the atmosphere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad