Failed/Rejected/Proposed ECHL franchise relocations and expansions

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I still want to know if it was common knowledge here that the Golden Knights looked at Fresno before choosing to build in Henderson.
I don't believe it was common knowledge. I speculated on the AHL board that Seattle or Vegas might look at Fresno, and people said I was nuts - many thought the teams would go to Idaho before considering Fresno.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I don't believe it was common knowledge. I speculated on the AHL board that Seattle or Vegas might look at Fresno, and people said I was nuts - many thought the teams would go to Idaho before considering Fresno.

To be fair, part of the issue is likely a stuck Fresno city council and a stubborn arena management in SMG... probably good reasons why nothing about Fresno apparently went public.

Since SMG is out, Fresno is probably worth a bit of discussion going forward. But I’m not sure the E would be first preference, or even involved at all.

Reactions: Roadhog

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
To be fair, part of the issue is likely a stuck Fresno city council and a stubborn arena management in SMG... probably good reasons why nothing about Fresno apparently went public.

Since SMG is out, Fresno is probably worth a bit of discussion going forward. But I’m not sure the E would be first preference, or even involved at all.
I'd be surprised to see and ECHL team there at this point. It's not really close to anything else, so they'd have to fly everywhere. More likely a potential AHL relocation site if something happened with one of the other cities out west. Unless an NHL team decided they were going with the Toronto model and signing a bunch of players to AHL deals and stocking an ECHL team, and they wanted that team close to their AHL team for quick callups.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
How long until we can officially put the Motor City Rockers on this list?
They will never be on this list since the title of this thread is "Failed/Rejected/Proposed ECHL franchise relocations and expansions" and the Rockers were an FPHL team.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
How long until we can officially put the Motor City Rockers on this list?
They will never be on this list since the title of this thread is "Failed/Rejected/Proposed ECHL franchise relocations and expansions" and the Rockers were an FPHL team.
Yeah I know but we had been talking about other leagues here as well
And if the rest of the crowd in this forum jumped off a bridge, would you follow us? :whatever:

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Along with the Ocean City arena, Hat Trick Consultants was also trying to work with the St. Louis suburb of Fenton along Interstate 44 for an arena and a team to be called the Fenton 44s.

Fenton Missouri – hockeynutsandbolts

I'm not going to name names, you can do the research as to who runs HTC, but the former Central Hockey League GM in the pilot's seat is a huckster. He's great at losing other people's money, which is why anyone who can use google won't invest behind him in those boondoggles.

Reactions: Roadhog

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

goalie41

Feb 7, 2009
The Chicago Express were a one and done for several reasons. The major reason is the absolutely horrendous management of the Sears Center Arena. You simply cannot charge NHL prices for ECHL entertainment. $10 to park. $7 for a beer or a nasty slice of frozen pizza. $4.50 for a fountain RC cola. Yes, these were the prices 10 years ago! Ushers and arena staff that were clueless and rude. The entertainment value for the money just wasn't there. On dollar hot dog and beer nights, they were horribly understaffed. Lines were 30 people deep and served cold hot dogs. Unless you were a true hockey fan and were there for the hockey, it was an incredibly cold and expensive experience.

Marketing and branding of the team was heavily mis-targeted as well. You were putting a Chicago name in a Suburb 30 miles out of the city. This team was in an arena that was smack dab in the middle of heavily populated suburbs, 5 miles from the 3rd largest city in Illinois, the city of Elgin. This was a smack in the face to the locals. A huge marketing and branding mis-step. There was ZERO local flavor to latch on to. Team should have been named the Fox Valley Eagles or the Elgin Watchmen . The whole point of a suburban team is to have something away from the City of Chicago. A prime example of a complete success is the minor league baseball Kane Co Cougars.

The Sears Center has been a death bed for every Professional Team that has played there. The Chicago Hounds(UHL) , The Chicago Express(ECHL) Chicago Shamrox(MILL) Chicago Storm/Soul/Mustangs(indoor soccer), Chicago Slaughter( whatever indoor football league), Chicago Bliss(LFL). The Windy City Bulls, a NBA G league basketball team, is hanging by a thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad