Face-off splits: Strong/Weak side and whether opponent is on strong/weak side

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So, there's obviously an advantage in being on your strong or weak side in the face-off dot. On your weak side, you can't get as much leverage with the stick in the traditional face-off move of pulling it back because the linesman will be somewhat obstructing you.

Is there any source for face-off% by strong/weak side? Additionally, faceoff% when the opponent is on their strong or weak side?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Not strong/weak but all other splits
https://hockeyeloratings.com/players/faceoffratings
Will add strong/weak this year.

Nice thanks.

What stood out to me is the stick down first/last split seems to be bigger than the off/def zone split when it’s basically the same advantage in both cases (i.e having your stick down first or last). My gut tells me opposing coaches are more weary of non-neutral zone faceoffs and will try and put a good faceoff guy in the dots, while not worrying so much about neutral zone faceoffs.

Which makes sense, a won/lost draw in the zone is a lot more valuable/dangerous that one in the neutral zone

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yes, NZ faceoff not seen as valuable. Only added value in special teams spots where entries are easier and where time is of the essence. But since the default setting is not to start a special teams situation in the NZ, there's even less of those...

DZ faceoff loss is basically a scoring chance or chance opportunity against you...much more emphasis put there...

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad