"Face of the Franchise"

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm working on an article for my first blog post where I detail the organizational rankings of each franchise for the foreseeable future. In each one, I outline the player that is the "Face of the Franchise", and outlook of the teams future and other thoughts. Winnipeg is the only team that I couldn't think of a clear cut, face of the franchise (although for others I do include ties). I considered:

Blake Wheeler
Dustin Byfuglien
Nikolaj Ehlers
Mark Scheifele

Please help! Also, if you want to provide any other insights to the rankings, that could be helpful! Although, I think I have a pretty good idea of the Jets as a whole. I love what the franchise is doing and think it's going in a great direction.

Thanks for any help!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm working on an article for my first blog post where I detail the organizational rankings of each franchise for the foreseeable future. In each one, I outline the player that is the "Face of the Franchise", and outlook of the teams future and other thoughts. Winnipeg is the only team that I couldn't think of a clear cut, face of the franchise (although for others I do include ties). I considered:

Blake Wheeler
Dustin Byfuglien
Nikolaj Ehlers
Mark Scheifele

Please help! Also, if you want to provide any other insights to the rankings, that could be helpful! Although, I think I have a pretty good idea of the Jets as a whole. I love what the franchise is doing and think it's going in a great direction.

Thanks for any help!

From the older "core" group, I think it would be Ladd - captain and soon to have a shiny new contract.

From the younger set, it's Scheifele or Trouba. Ehlers is the future, but not ready yet to be dubbed the face of the franchise.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
url

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
From the older "core" group, I think it would be Ladd - captain and soon to have a shiny new contract.

From the younger set, it's Scheifele or Trouba. Ehlers is the future, but not ready yet to be dubbed the face of the franchise.

I can't see anyone displacing Trouba as the face of the Jets going forward, not even Ehlers.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I don't think you will ever have that type of player. First we are not likely to get that top 10 hockey player. Second I think the team just doesn't want one player in the spotlight. This will forever be a lunch pail team.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I can't see anyone displacing Trouba as the face of the Jets going forward, not even Ehlers.

From an outsiders perspective, the hype-train on Ehlers seems to be at full speed (I'm on board this train, btw).

I also started to get the feeling that Trouba was having a bit of a sophmore slump. I know he had his stellar rookie year, but this year it didn't seem like he had a big leap forward. Thus, my omitting Trouba from the list. Perhaps this isn't true, though?

Surprised not to see Wheeler on anybody's list, I thought he and Ladd would be pretty close. I don't have a pulse on the team like you guys do, however.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
From an outsiders perspective, the hype-train on Ehlers seems to be at full speed (I'm on board this train, btw).

I also started to get the feeling that Trouba was having a bit of a sophmore slump. I know he had his stellar rookie year, but this year it didn't seem like he had a big leap forward. Thus, my omitting Trouba from the list. Perhaps this isn't true, though?

Surprised not to see Wheeler on anybody's list, I thought he and Ladd would be pretty close. I don't have a pulse on the team like you guys do, however.

If I remember correctly he got off to a tiny bit of a slow start, but by the end of the season I think most around here would agree he was knocking on the door of becoming the undisputed #1 D amongst a pretty damn good group of D.

In the playoffs he was incredibly impressive to me and that's not even taking into account he had to drag Mark "The Boat Anchor" Stuart around the ice and played at least a couple of games with a broken wrist (could only grip his stick with 3 fingers apparently).

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'd say Ladd myself.

He's kind of an underrated lunch-pail type of player/captain leading a lunch pail team. I think he epitomizes what Winnipeg is all about. Played 1/2 of last season win sports hernia and was still one of our top scorers.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Correct answer: Nobody.

If you'd have to choose: Ladd now

... and why not Enström actually? He's the #1 LHD for this franchise for I don't even know how long... like 8 years? Putting up constantly good numbers in pretty much every aspect of the game (besides scoring goals).

Buff because he's just the kind of guy everyone speaks about.

Future:

Trouba, Scheifele... let's see about Ehlers.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
We don't really have a player like Stamkos, Crosby or Toews. I'd say it would be Ladd as he's the captain but think we're more of a team with many faces instead of one.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I would say Any of Ladd Wheeler Buff for the older core or Scheifele Trouba for the younger core. Can't really pick just one. For what it's worth I do think Trouba had a bit of a slump last year but I think that can be attributed to injury. He was off for quite awhile mid season and it took him a bit to get back at it when he came back.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It's gotta be Chris Thorburn. He does it all, he fights, he scores, and he leads. Plus he was just signed to a big contract extension.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
I'd say Jacob Trouba.

He'll be the Captain of record, during our 2nd and 3rd Cup Championships (2019/20 & 2020/21). :popcorn:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
FWIW, as Ive mentioned before I saw Maurice speak at a public event and he said "Mark Scheifele will be the future captain of the Jets" He spoke about his GENUINE love for the fans, city, his passion for the game and how he is a quiet leader, leads by example on the ice and off the ice with how he carries himself and how he eats and works out.
I honestly think Lowry and Trouba would be tied for second, that's no slight on Trouba but I think very highly of Lowry, give him a few years. It's a great sign when you have such depth in leadership.

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
The first couple years, the team seemed to be pimping Ladd pretty hard as the face of the team. I think around the league Buff is likely moreso seen as our face (our first/only All Star to date). His Jerseys seem to be the most represented at games as well.

But...

clearly the face of our franchise is Rad Jets Guy:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad