News Article: "Face It: The Bruins Are Soft"

TootSweet

Sep 22, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Would have to admit, after that goal, scrum and ensuing fight. I thought I was actually watching last years Bruins. So I was happy. Until we lost the game that is.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Everyone. Not Marchand, Kelly, and Krug along with Fraser and Campbell alone.

Curious if the brawl last night and Bruins hockey for the 3rd happens if Chara is still out.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/kelly-fight-reminder-what-bruins-need

[I]Kelly is far from a feared brawler with six regular season fights on his NHL resume, but that’s kind of the point.

“When we care for each other and we play together and for each other, that’s when the fans are getting into it. The fans were responding, we’re creating chances, getting goals and playing the right way,†said Lucic. “I think that’s lacked a little bit in our team this year, but when we’re going out there and having each other’s backs and playing for one another, you know, we feel it on the bench. The fans feel it as well.

“That’s an important area of our game and that’s what’s given us success in the past and helped us be such a good team and we need to continue that heading into the next game. If that care for one another and having each other’s back continues, you’ll see, things will come a lot easier and the wins will start coming.â€

While it would be easy to dismiss the Kelly/Shaw dust up as insignificant because the Bruins didn’t end up winning the game, but that would be monumentally missing the point. The Bruins are their best when they are playing with a major chip on their shoulder, and doling out equal parts punishment and intimidation with their hard-hitting play.

It’s also not exactly a coincidence that something like happens on the night that Zdeno Chara returns to the lineup. It brings a little extra courage to the entire team knowing the 6-foot-9 captain has their back.
[/I]

Jopoc99

Jul 31, 2014
Boston MA
Even though they lost, that third period was one one of the first times I actually enjoyed watching them this year. The players seemed like they cared and the fans were into it. Step in the right direction.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Your glasses they need cleaning.

600x400_121114_KellyPunch.jpg
You can break your hand just as easily punching a helmet.

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I love that Kelly and Krug came to the aid of a teammate.. We haven't seen that this season. I still think Looch needs to un **** his head and get it on straight.

iGetCarried*

I love that Kelly and Krug came to the aid of a teammate.. We haven't seen that this season. I still think Looch needs to un **** his head and get it on straight.

i agree, i don't understand why he won't just snap. That was the perfect chance to.

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
i agree, i don't understand why he won't just snap. That was the perfect chance to.

I didn't watch the game live.. but people we're pissed when Looch didn't go after Shaw after Shaw's hit.. Maybe its a bit of "do is it really matter, I can beat the **** out of this kid". The fighting instinct isn't there this season so far. Something has to wake him up.. he clearly has an ego, something has to give.

iGetCarried*

I didn't watch the game live.. but people we're pissed when Looch didn't go after Shaw after Shaw's hit.. Maybe its a bit of "do is it really matter, I can beat the **** out of this kid". The fighting instinct isn't there this season so far. Something has to wake him up.. he clearly has an ego, something has to give.

I don't think he should have that menality after Prout one shotted him lol. Definitely something. Between that and the lack of intensity i would like something to give. I don't know what that i though. If he plays like he did in the 3rd then i think it'll come out, but he needs to play like that; something that is difficult for him it seems.

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I don't think he should have that menality after Prout one shotted him lol. Definitely something. Between that and the lack of intensity i would like something to give. I don't know what that i though. If he plays like he did in the 3rd then i think it'll come out, but he needs to play like that; something that is difficult for him it seems.

Yeah the Prout incident had to embarrass him. I think at times in the past 5-10 games I've seen him throw his weight around a bit (didn't do it thursday until the 3rd from the looks of it). I get the style can be hard to bring every night but the wake up will hopefully soon. If he does a no show in columbus on the 27th.. that will be shocking to me.

iGetCarried*

Yeah the Prout incident had to embarrass him. I think at times in the past 5-10 games I've seen him throw his weight around a bit (didn't do it thursday until the 3rd from the looks of it). I get the style can be hard to bring every night but the wake up will hopefully soon. If he does a no show in columbus on the 27th.. that will be shocking to me.

We can only hope. Really need the old Lucic back. He was actually fun to watch.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Looch needs to come to terms with --- 'do you know who I am?' Isnt going to cut it anymore.

He needs to re-establish that every once and awhile if thats his expectation.
Otherwise hes JAG.

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Looch needs to come to terms with --- 'do you know who I am?' Isnt going to cut it anymore.

He needs to re-establish that every once and awhile if thats his expectation.
Otherwise hes JAG.

Agreed.. players aren't afraid of him anymore.. time to instill some fear around the league.. because besides Gazdic, Prout (who I think he can beat in a fight if you know.. he shakes of the gloves in time) I think not too many players could beat him in a fight. Again that's if he shows up mentally.

roll4lines

Apr 24, 2014
CNY
At what point do we just have to accept that we are going to have a "bridge" year or two before we can compete again?

looch has obviously come out and tried to charge this team up and it just isnt happening. there is no kindling to ignite, let alone logs to burn.

the last time i was this disinterested in the bruins, dave lewis was the coach. it's borderline brutal to watch. love me some B's but at some point we have to take a step back, sit down, and accept this is no longer a team that can compete for a cup.

I've fully accepted that at this point in the season. It's not just an identity issue, its a skill level and compete issue. These guys know they arent competing and they're playing like it. Odd though that claude started with worse and they were fun to watch. Not so much right now.

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
At what point do we just have to accept that we are going to have a "bridge" year or two before we can compete again?

looch has obviously come out and tried to charge this team up and it just isnt happening. there is no kindling to ignite, let alone logs to burn.

the last time i was this disinterested in the bruins, dave lewis was the coach. it's borderline brutal to watch. love me some B's but at some point we have to take a step back, sit down, and accept this is no longer a team that can compete for a cup.

I've fully accepted that at this point in the season. It's not just an identity issue, its a skill level and compete issue. These guys know they arent competing and they're playing like it. Odd though that claude started with worse and they were fun to watch. Not so much right now.

Claude started with cap room and a team to rebuild and mold. He also had a lot of young players all coming into their prime at the right and same times. In addition we had some great draft picks due to one sided trades in the Bruins favor. Management has screwed all of that up over the years. We are going in the opposite direction down.... coming down the mountain. The guys are getting older and slower, we have less talented youth due to poor drafting and development, we got poor return and traded away some of our brightest and best players and we are right up against the cap because of horribly thought out contracts with no trade clauses. And I think the players just looked bored as hell and disheartened out there. Poor management and poor coaching and poor performances.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
They are everyone. What exactly has to happen to make you happy? Lucic needs to destroy an entire team?

Reread that. You said team toughness is everyone stepping up. I countered saying no one is legitimately standing up except for those few players I named, who scare no one and don't actually contribute much to the team toughness mentality even when they try. We need the Lucic's, McQuaids, Millers, etc to step up too. Sadly we are heavily outgunned this year with Boychuk, Thornton, Iginla, Ference, etc all gone these days.

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
It always seems to me that the bruins slump a bit around December. Then things turn around in January.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
If softness were their only problem, they'd at least be the Red Wings and tied for 1st the Division, 2nd in the Conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad