face cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

felixno44

Jul 5, 2005
surrey, bc
hi guys
i´ve been playing for about 10 years and now think about getting a face cage, since one guy i know took a slap shot to the face. i´m glad that nothing like that has ever happened to me, but why wait until it´s too late.
i´m just wondering if any of you has any experience in playing with a full face cage ? do you get used to it or is it irritating ? if so, has your performance suffered while playing with one ? has it ever prevented a serious injury ?

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I play with a full face cage, all I've ever used. I've never had a problem with them. If you're conseced about your vison, then go to a shop and ask to try a few on you helmet to see what you can see. Some may have a bar down the middle of your eye other will be fine. For protection, there's nothing better. I've taken loads of pucks to the face with it on (many just because I've got it on, they then get one back) and have never been hurt. The odd time it's been a bit bent out of shape from a hard shot, but nothing else.

IMO, everyone should have cages. I can think of no reason that you shouldn't get one.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I play with a cage on ice and a visor for inline. Not much difference to be honest.

chum

Feb 27, 2002
i am really used to the cage.

godo thing about the cage vs the face shields = cage does not fog up. plus the bars really does not bother me (anymore)

weezman

Just last August I got high sticked to the face (first time I'd ever been hit in the face, with a stick anyways). Lost two teeth + nice scar on my lip/cheek. Get the face cage. The visor didn't do much for me.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
I've used both cages and full visors. I prefer full visor because the bars of the cage block my view too much, especially if the ball is at my feet. When you have to take a shot or determine where the ball is, you don't want to lose that fraction of second moving your head to locate it. I noticed that I play with more confidence when I know that my face is protected. I have only two eyes, so I want to keep every one of them.

toroytorero

Sep 20, 2005
I took a high stick to the face... no teeth knocked out .. so I bought a cage.. first night I had it, I got a puck square in the face so I was gald I bought it.

I use a chrome jofa cage. it does seem a bit warmer with it on but the vision isn't an issue really. I tried the bauer and itech before jofa ... try them on if you can, I have somewhat of a longer face and all the other brands fit like crap

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
I switched from no face protection to a full cage after I lost 8 teeth to a high stick follow through on a slap shot. It took me about 2 games to get used to it, but now I don't even know I'm wearing it.

toroytorero

Sep 20, 2005
took another hard high stick to the face last night.. plus side no blood no teeth missing since I have a cage

negative side.. no penalty was called.

Transported Upstater

I don't have a problem with a full cage, and always use it when I play.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Last game I received a stick in the visor. The guy apologized; I thanked him for reminding me I made a good decision! :handclap:

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
here in canada its mandatory for face cages under the age of 18 i believe, so its all i've ever played with. on the public rinks, although, i don't wear a helmate at all cause its just for pickup hockey. i've never had a visibility problem or whatever, you just learn to ignore it. i've gotten plenty of pucks and sticks, maybe even a skate or two in the cage as well. one time while playing street hockey i got a stick in the mouth, which sent me to the hospital for about 6 hours or so. i could only eat soft pasta and soft ice cream for about a month, and i had the nuicense of continuesly having to sanatize it. my lip swelled out to look like i was a duck, and i was fortunate to not loose any teeth. that was just street hockey too, so in ice hockey everything is amplified. i'd fully recomend having a face mask if your concearned about getting hurt, having to adjust to any vision or whatever is a small price to pay for going home with all your teeth.

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have used both cages and full visors. I can honestly say that cages are the way to go. I use an Itech chrome cage and I don't even notice it anymore. I realized just how lucky I was to be wearing full face protection when I took a team-mates skate right in the face. If I had been wearing a half-shield, I would have been real hurt.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I haven't worn a face shield of any kind for about 10 years now, but I used to have both a full face Itech shield and a cage. I went to a visor, but they got very hot (plus the screws stripped and it kept falling down to my chin, so....).

The Itech face shield was quite hot, and I needed to lift it off every time I got to the bench, plus I had a hard time with the bottom air holes (they were EXACTLY where I need to see to carry the puck). I hated my cage, too, but there have been big changes made to them since I last wore one. Now they are out away from your face, so it's easier to see and they aren't as hot (or so I've been told). Look at all the NCAA players who have to wear them. They don't seem to have any problems whatsoever.

One note: I used to wear the vosor, but I have had a puck get up in there and cut me for 7 stiches, and sticks can go under them very easily. They are good for deflected pucks (usually) or some high sticks, but broken teeth aren't exactly fun, nor is a broken nose (I've had that 4 times). I think it's about time I tried a cage again.

Pure Rock Fury*

As soon as I turned 18 I took the cage off. Played for a couple summers with it and there's no way I could ever play with it again. I had to put it back on for tryouts last year, and I was miserable.

Rico__Persson*

I took my cage off after minor hockey and put on a tinted half visor. That lasted for a about 6 years with no close calls until about 4 weeks ago when I took a high stick that knocked out 4 teeth, and broke 2 others.

Wear a cage, it so worth it once you see things after they happen.

Rico__Persson*

Icer said:
I switched from no face protection to a full cage after I lost 8 teeth to a high stick follow through on a slap shot. It took me about 2 games to get used to it, but now I don't even know I'm wearing it.

8 teeth. That is terrible. I thought the 6 I lost were more than aweful.

What kind of dental solution did you go with? I'm getting a couple of bridges.

Slot 3

exitus acta probat
Nov 2, 2005
Vancouver
felixno44 said:
hi guys
i´ve been playing for about 10 years and now think about getting a face cage, since one guy i know took a slap shot to the face. i´m glad that nothing like that has ever happened to me, but why wait until it´s too late.
i´m just wondering if any of you has any experience in playing with a full face cage ? do you get used to it or is it irritating ? if so, has your performance suffered while playing with one ? has it ever prevented a serious injury ?

What about a half and half? plastic on top and cage on bottom. Apparently it's pretty good cause my teammates have no problem whatsoever scoring on me. :(

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
I prefer the visor to the cage because I can see the ball better. The problem is worse with the cage when the ball is at my feet. The visor on top and the cage on the bottom may be a good idea. I don't know. It gets hotter with the visor, though.

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
shubu fubu said:
What about a half and half? plastic on top and cage on bottom. Apparently it's pretty good cause my teammates have no problem whatsoever scoring on me. :(
I know a guy who plays with a half and half. It doesn't seem to bother him any.

Personally, I've always used a full cage. I've had my share of high sticks etc; as a matter of fact right after I read this thread yesterday I went to a practice and took a high followthrough from a slapshot right on the chin. :dunno:

Personally you'd never get me to play without a full visor or cage; I'm too pretty to lose teeth etc. ;)

Jack Canuck

Sep 12, 2003
Hawaii
Visit site
I currently use a full cage and I have been having problems with it getting in the way for some reason. I had a different full cage a couple of years ago and it was great.

The half and half looks really good right now. Does anyone here have one? I would like to hear comments.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
As someone said above, in Canada it is mandatory for 18 or younger players. For adults, a visor is the minimum you are allowed to wear in a rink.

In the Rec leagues, some of the guys take off their shields or cages anyways. All of these guys played with a shield or cage all their lives, so they are used to it. To take a stick in the eye or lose teeth in a Rec league, just so you can get that 5% better vision is just being a bozo. These are the same guys who cannot catch a hard pass... yeah the lack of a visor will make ya better.

Imagine having to miss work because you wanted to either be vain, or wanted that little extra vision in a BEER LEAGUE. Tell that to your boss.

Honestly, when the puck drops, I cannot even tell I have a helmet on. All the equipement (besides the stick and the skate blade edges) seem to become a non factor. I can't feel any of that stuff, i am too focused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad