"Fabian Brunnstrom, the next Daniel Alfredsson?"

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
Fabian Brunnstrom may not turn out to be the next Daniel Alfredsson, but apparently a ton of NHL teams aren't willing to take a chance on being wrong about him.

In fact, one assistant GM reckons every team in the NHL is probably after Brunnstrom, a little-known 22-year-old rookie for Farjestad in the Swedish Elite League. That's because Brunnstrom is just now developing into a legitimate NHL prospect and now that European players are subject to the same draft rules as North Americans under the new collective bargaining agreement, he is an unrestricted free agent (take a look at this YouTube video for a small sample of his skill level).

"He's the first of a lot of players from Europe you're going to see in this situation," said the assistant GM. "It used to be you waited for European players. Lots of times you would draft them and keep them over there for four or five years to see how they develop. Well, you can't do that anymore."

For the rest of the article,
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/11323-Fabian-Brunnstrom-the-next-Daniel-Alfredsson.html

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
It's great to hear about these types of prospects and I can't wait to see where he ends up. Is he a UFA or does he have to be drafted first?

He might look good on a (speedy) checking line with Ryan Kesler with that speed and skill, especially if he has solid defensive ability (the article doesn't say much about that).

Brunnstrom - Kesler - Hansen/Raymond

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Fabian get's some hype?:)
He has 19 points in 26 games this season(2nd on the team). Last year he played in Division 1 which is Swedish 3rd division after SEL and Alsvenskan.

It's like a player dominated in ECHL, and next season, became an elte NHL forward.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=6659

Last edited:

LennyV

Jul 7, 2007
Göteborg
Brunnstrom could really be something. He has exploded in SEL this year. I'm waiting for Martin Thörnberg to get some NHL hype as well. He's had a couple of solid seasons and this year he's 22 P in 21 G (SEL is kinda low scoring) and third in scoring overall.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Brunnström's develoment has been quite unique. He had a good season in the 3rd-tier and got a chance to earn a spot with the Allsvenskan team Rögle. Played only three games and went back to the 3rd-tier leauge and has a huge season with Borås. Scoring 37 goals and 36 assists in 41 games.

This year he has been one of the best players on a top team in the SEL. Together with former Detroit prospect Mikael Johansson and another rookie Per Åslund, he forms a young interesting line in Färjestad. With a couple of more SEL seasons he could cross the pond. But next season would be too early IMO.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
So when can he be signed without clearing waivers? After the SEL season? Or the NHL season?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Interesting.

I don't see what is to lose by tendering him a contract offer.

I hope that the Canucks pursue him if they see something in him.

DreamCatcher*

My assumption is he will goto the team with heavy-swedish influence so its a strong possibility it would be either Vancouver or Detroit.

Vancouver:
D.Sedin, H.Sedin, Naslund, Edler, Ohlund, even Byron Rithie has some swedish connections

Detroit:
Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Samuelsson, Franzen, Kronwall, Lilja

fogducker

Jul 26, 2006

do you know what the crowd is chanting before the goal? I hear that chant in soccer too

Redden Punches Faces*

I thought Henrik Zetterberg was the next Daniel Alfredsson.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
there's a nice article on Brunnstrom in this weeks issue of THN (The "European" issue, with Lidstrom on the cover)

AgentNaslund*

He will probably sign with......

Toronto Maple Leafs...
Vancouver Canucks...
Pittsburgh Penguins...
New York Rangers....

My guess he will end up in 1 of the 4 teams.

Why Toronto? a recent poll taken by NHL palyers, Toronto and New York were the most popular places that players want to play for and live. Vancouver was 3rd. Vancouver also have handful of Swedes. Vancouver Toronto New York are the teams most players would like to play for.

Why Pittsburgh? Pittsburgh is a team on the rise. He can be Crosby' Jarri Kurri or something. Theres alot of potential there, and a very good place for a team that is also harvesting alot of great young players. Its also been a place that is atracting alot of UFA's. IF I was him I probalby chose Pittsburgh, chances are he can be playing with either Malkin Crosby or even Staal. NOt a bad a choice. howevever there is some scoring depth there. If he struggles a little he might not a get a chance.

Since hes able to play at a pro level, in Vancouver he be given more chances if he screws in up Vancouver. AFter the 1st line there is not much scoring and the team needs offence.

Toronto is just a mess right now. I wouldnt want to go there. But it is one of the most popular places for hockey player.

The Hockey Hitman

Jul 26, 2006
All this talk about this guy made me think it would be worth a shot, no matter how long it is, in signing him to my dynasty keeper league. we keep 60 players, but I think taking a chance on a guy who could even be half as good as Alfredsson, let alone the next Alfredsson, is worth it in the longrun.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
oh god in that youtube in the article he just did a datsyuk in a real game

canucks plz sign him and make him play with whoever he wants

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
He will probably sign with......

Toronto Maple Leafs...
Vancouver Canucks...
Pittsburgh Penguins...
New York Rangers....

My guess he will end up in 1 of the 4 teams.

I'll say Calgary is very likely too, considering which team he comes from.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
My assumption is he will goto the team with heavy-swedish influence so its a strong possibility it would be either Vancouver or Detroit.

Vancouver:
D.Sedin, H.Sedin, Naslund, Edler, Ohlund, even Byron Rithie has some swedish connections

Detroit:
Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Samuelsson, Franzen, Kronwall, Lilja

Plus Detroit has a pretty heavy completement of Swedes in the system. Ericsson should be playing in Detroit in the next 1-2 years and Dick Axelsson and Daniel Larsson are having excellent seasons as rookies in the SEL. His center, Mikael Johansson, is also a former Wings draft pick who the team is keeping an eye because family issues halted alot of his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad