FA/Trade Thread 2014-15 Season V.7 - MOD warning post#877

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Make a move. Any move.

It takes two to tango. I'm not sure if there are many teams looking for huge shake ups that would suit our needs. We can't give up picks and quality prospects and we certainly can't take on a big contract without giving one up. It's hard to do a good hockey trade these days. We are in a bad position in terms of making a shake up.

I don't even know where to begin with this team. Our hockey management team is so soft on these players and coaches, so any big changes in the holiday season is unlikely to happen as well.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bozie and Kessel for the Staal brothers.

and Im a huge fan of Tyler Bozak.

Carolina doesn't do it. They'll want future assets and picks for their valuable assets. It's just not what they need in return.

And if I deal Kessel, I'm in the boat of trying to get younger assets.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yah, I'd take it. Having Seth in our top-4 would immediately make me feel better about losing Franson on Gardiner (or both). 3 moves that would immediately shake the franchise up:

Kessel for Jones, Fiala, 1st rnd pick

Franson/Gardiner for ROR

Lupul to Columbus for A Wennberg
(maybe not this one, who knows. I do think Columbus wants to bring in a player though)

We'd recover what $15M? And prospects Jones, Fiala and a 1st? And we'd miss fat Phil how much?

IMO, Kessel for Jones is likely the best you'd get from Nashville.

I just don't see why they'd entertain getting a player like Kessel when they're the 11th. highest scoring team today with a very reasonable Cap position?

They have the 2nd. best goal differential in the league.

I like the idea of Jones though.

Phaneuf and Kessel move would change the complexion of the team.

Oh, I know ... who is going to replace Phaneuf?!?!? Really, because his leadership would be sorely missed! :rolleyes:

It is like some people (not you ... just ranting in general) think that when you remove a player you don't replace him with another player. Yes, let's just have 1 defenseman and 3 forwards out there because Phaneuf has been traded. Even if the player is less than Phaneuf, the goal isn't to have the best players, it is to have the best team. How many Cups have Malkin and Crosby won in Pittsburgh? How many Cups has Stamkos, Ovechkin won? Kane and Toews are better than Malkin and Crosby (when he's healthy)?

I'm undecided if I'd want a reset or rebuild?

I think what you could get in return for Phil and Phan would determine that.

There are about 10 teams with ~5 million+ cap space, that could accommodate one of Phil or Phan, and other teams that could swap cap space in a transaction for either. (by swap I mean trade players who occupy cap space for respective teams)

Minnesota/Winnipeg perhaps could use some scoring, and I still think San Jose might be looking at their continuous failures in the playoffs and wonder?

LA Kings used Gaborik to win the Cup last year, could Kessel have been the solution for the Sharks against the Kings?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Kessel to Nashville makes too much sense. They were in it with us when Kessel was in Boston. They've been starving for that top end point producer to go with some really strong 2-way players everywhere in their lineup. Forsberg is having a great breakout season but after that, Neal is not really producing greatly and their depth on the wings is pretty weak.

I would easily pick up Victor Stalberg's contract in order to also faciliate their internal budget.

Something like Kessel, cheap depth players like Ashton and/or Holzer for Jones, a good prospect like Sissons or maybe Watson, Stalberg, a 1st round pick and maybe a 3rd or 4th pick. I think it's at least fair, especially since we're picking up a pretty bad contract in Stalberg for 2 more seasons.

Basically:

Kessel
Ashton/Holzer/Depth player (which ever they need/want)

Jones
Sissons
Stalberg
1st

Last edited:

RLF

May 5, 2014
I still like this one I had proposed earlier(or similar, we may have to add a prospect)

To Buffalo
Kessel

To Toronto
Myers, Grigorenko, 2015 1st (via STL)

We get assets to start to solve some problems and Buf gets a proven scorer for Reinhart when ready. They have good centre depth and good D depth already plus (3) 1st round picks this year. It's a deal they could make without hurting their future. Kessel would be a good American marketing tool in Buf as well.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Teams like Florida and Nashville can't really add that much pure salary to their books.

It's why I don't think a trade with them is all that doable.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd prefer to move Kessel out west if possible.

Minnesota perhaps - though they'd have to get rid of one of Vanek or Pominville to make it work.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Teams like Florida and Nashville can't really add that much pure salary to their books.

It's why I don't think a trade with them is all that doable.

It is if you take over a bad contract, like Stalberg for example.

They basically would pay Kessel 5M if you substract a dead contract like Stalberg off the books, for the next 2 years.

I mean, Nashville can afford Weber's insane bonus in his contract and other bad players, I think they can afford a legit star like Kessel locked up for quite some time.

Poile loves Kessel and Laviolette has coached him in the past (Olympics), so to me it makes a lot of sense.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

They basically would pay Kessel 5M if you substract a dead contract like Stalberg off the books, for the next 2 years.

I mean, Nashville can afford Weber's insane bonus in his contract and other bad players, I think they can afford a legit star like Kessel locked up for quite some time.

Poile loves Kessel and Laviolette has coached him in the past (Olympics), so to me it makes a lot of sense.

If Kessel is eventually moved, i'd bet money its Nashville where he eventually goes.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

and it gives Nashville a scoring headliner.
the thing is. we need a GM to make that move, because it ain't gonna be Nonis

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm all for moving Kessel, but only at the right price. I'd be looking for a top prospect, another pretty good prospect (or equal valued pick), one or two relatively high picks and maybe a cap dump if necessary for Kessel and contracts.

For example, from Florida I'd want Barkov, Petrovic (or a 2nd or something) and then maybe I'll do it like a 1st in 2015 and a conditional 1st in 2016 (if Florida makes the playoffs in both 2015 and 2016) that would otherwise become a 2nd. I'd take on Fleishmann or someone also if necessary (and then try to trade him at the deadline) and add contracts to make them even. Or Nashville, I'd probably just ask for Jones, a prospect like Sissons or Aberg and the same picks as above with Stalberg or something being the cap dump.

It's a lofty price, but you're talking about one of the best scorers, if not the best scorer (if he had a true 1C) in the league. We should be getting our input plus the difference between him just being a potential top scorer to being a top scorer, which fairly should be a top prospect (whether it be Barkov, Jones or someone else), especially when it's structured in a way that prevents Florida from giving up two top 10 picks like we did. The worst they can do is probably give up a non-playoff first and a high second (which is if they miss the playoffs both years), and that is one less high first than we originally gave up... We'd have our 1C position solved; it opens up a spot for Nylander to play on the 1RW for the future and we have 2 (and a good potential prospect) or 3 good picks plus a cap dump who has little to no value in this deal whatsoever but we may be able to retain some salary on for a year or two and move at the deadline.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Oh good, Stalberg and Clarkson. :rolleyes:

I'm still a year away from being on the move Kessel side.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Honestly once you move players like Kessel, Bozak, Lupul, Phanuef etc

It's. Really not an issue to keep Clarkson. Yes. Overpaid but he plays the right way and would be a good vet to have around for young players. Work ethic, competes hard, etc

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Oh good, Stalberg and Clarkson. :rolleyes:

I'm still a year away from being on the move Kessel side.

How many sides are there? Is it like a polygon, or can there just be two sides. If it's a polygon, I call being on the move Kessel when we get the right offer side, whether that be tomorrow or one year from tomorrow,etc.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The Jets are looking for a top 6 winger

Lupul for Bogosian

People laugh at me when I say Gardiner for Bogosian when they really need LHD. Do you really think that'll be any different? Besides, I'd just move on from Bogosian. Winnipeg obviously doesn't want to move him any less than Buffalo wants to move Myers, and he's really not much better than what Franson provides anyways, so it's not worth it.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
IMO, Kessel for Jones is likely the best you'd get from Nashville.

I just don't see why they'd entertain getting a player like Kessel when they're the 11th. highest scoring team today with a very reasonable Cap position?

They have the 2nd. best goal differential in the league.

I like the idea of Jones though.

Phaneuf and Kessel move would change the complexion of the team.

Oh, I know ... who is going to replace Phaneuf?!?!? Really, because his leadership would be sorely missed! :rolleyes:

It is like some people (not you ... just ranting in general) think that when you remove a player you don't replace him with another player. Yes, let's just have 1 defenseman and 3 forwards out there because Phaneuf has been traded. Even if the player is less than Phaneuf, the goal isn't to have the best players, it is to have the best team. How many Cups have Malkin and Crosby won in Pittsburgh? How many Cups has Stamkos, Ovechkin won? Kane and Toews are better than Malkin and Crosby (when he's healthy)?

I'm undecided if I'd want a reset or rebuild?

I think what you could get in return for Phil and Phan would determine that.

There are about 10 teams with ~5 million+ cap space, that could accommodate one of Phil or Phan, and other teams that could swap cap space in a transaction for either. (by swap I mean trade players who occupy cap space for respective teams)

Minnesota/Winnipeg perhaps could use some scoring, and I still think San Jose might be looking at their continuous failures in the playoffs and wonder?

LA Kings used Gaborik to win the Cup last year, could Kessel have been the solution for the Sharks against the Kings?

When I first heard of the idea of Jones for Kessel swap, I thought the same thing. But I don't think Jones necessarily has #1D upside, hense the additions. Apparently their fanbase proposed the Jones + Fiala + 1st. If that's the case they seem to agree with that rating. It does seem like a lot to return, i agree, but I'd jump even if the offer was close.

Completely agree though - when guys like Kessel are gone the team finds another way to score. JVR and Bozak need to earn more goals, work harder in the corners and be held more accountable in their own end. Can't be a downside to that IMO.

I don't see Winnipeg putting up the biscuits for him TBH. Columbus in the East and Nashville in the west IMO. Columbus could also use a scoring winger, has an elite #1C to play him with, and we know Columbus likes pulling guys in already locked to term. Wennberg, Jenner + 1st , and maybe we send them back another contract or two to offset their injuries so far this season. Ashton/Kozun/Smith.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Nsh would also be perfect for Kessel

No media and small fan base
Leadership is established with Weber

If they. Could get Jones + it's. An. Easy yes but do it in the off-season so they can still get a high pick

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
People laugh at me when I say Gardiner for Bogosian when they really need LHD. Do you really think that'll be any different? Besides, I'd just move on from Bogosian. Winnipeg obviously doesn't want to move him any less than Buffalo wants to move Myers, and he's really not much better than what Franson provides anyways, so it's not worth it.

To get a top 6 player they have to offer a player of equal value and rumour is they need a top 6 player, caps are close and we would likely have to deal Robidas or Holzer because we would have a glut of D. and possibly a Holzer and Gardiner for Yandle

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Heatley, Paarjarvi-Svensson, Pinizzotto & Hackett clear waivers.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
To get a top 6 player they have to offer a player of equal value and rumour is they need a top 6 player, caps are close and we would likely have to deal Robidas or Holzer because we would have a glut of D. and possibly a holzer and Gardiner for Yandle

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Heatley, Paarjarvi-Svensson, Pinizzotto & Hackett clear waivers.

And now no team wants him. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad