FA/Trade Thread 2014-15 Season V.12 - Who stays and who goes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Acquiring picks is useless if we're going to retain this genius scouting staff and gather up more Ross and Biggs types with 1st and 2nd round picks.

I have way way way more faith in our amateur scouts over our pro player scouts

you wanna see a bad pro player track record, just look at our inked UFAs , trades and cap allotment. They are the ones that have totally screwed up this franchise right now.

so yes please, roll in the picks and screw getting players back.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Ek has us in on Kane (e4) ...a less productive Kadri-esque Winger who hasnt done squat, since scoring 30, and has been in decline since
...in a redraft, Kadri goes before Kane imho

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Ek has us in on Kane (e4) ...a less productive Kadri-esque Winger who hasnt done squat, since scoring 30, and has been in decline since

Depends on the price of acquisition. Kane is a young nhl forward with size and skill. Id def be in favour of adding him for the right assets. Wpg is full up on RD so Franson is out. Dont think Santa or Winnik gets the job done.

Unless they want Kadri or Bozak, i dont see a deal. I wouldn't move Kadri for Kane either

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Agreed. I would only have interest in Kane if it was something like Kane+ for one of Kessel/JVR. Winnipeg have quite a few interesting pieces in their farm system (Morrissey, Petan, Ehlers, Comrie, Hellebuyck, a 1st rounder likely in the teens, etc).

I wouldn't trade Kadri for him, and I don't want to see us trading a package of futures either. They wouldn't move him for a pending UFA, they don't need Phaneuf, Bozak, etc either. So IMO it would either be for Kadri, a package of futures, or in a package for JVR or Kessel.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario

If we draft an NHL ready center (McEichel or Strome) I'd do Kadri for Kane + 2nd in the offseason.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
Kane could probably return more from a team looking for young scoring wingers. I could see Pitts or NJD offering a better return than the Leafs would offer.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Does anyone think a team would except the 5th Overall pick and Kessel for Eichel and a cap dump?

right now 5th pick should be Strome/Marner ...unless you like one of the d better.

how much of a higher level is Eichel than them?

...Eichel is obviously a notch below McDavid after all is said and done, so, i cannot see the Leafs even making that offer, less any other team in the 2 slot declining.

they would get a PPG winger, and still have the chance to draft a #1C, or top pairing D

in exchange for a potentially slightly better #1C

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Kane could probably return more from a team looking for young scoring wingers. I could see Pitts or NJD offering a better return than the Leafs would offer.

Kane has the same goals, and far less points than Santa.
if you are a contending team, which would you trade for?

i dont go anyplace near Kane, too big a risk, and too high a price.
i also doubt Kane is a good locker room influence either.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

he'd give this team some nuts
a bit of swager and competitiveness

I like Kane but he'd be a high risk reward type move. if he thrives in this market he could be great. if he crashes then they'd have to way that risk with what's given up

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Yuk. Unless they want Lupul or something...

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada

Rumor on the trade board is Pitt is offering Bennett + Harrington + 2nd. Teams see the size, skill, and tenacity and might take a chance on Kane being a core piece in the future. Not saying it should be us, but Kane will get a bigger return than Lupul or Santa

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I vaguely recall someone very active in these parts saying that Hodgson would be a better fit then Kadri here.

As per Friedman, Buffalo might have to buy him out.

4. There’s something about Vancouver. Cody Hodgson was benched there last Friday, a true slap considering Sabres coach Ted Nolan would know how much Hodgson desired to face his his former team. He recovered with his second point in 15 games, an assist that helped open the scoring in Buffalo’s 3-2 upset of Montreal. Hodgson will be 25 in February, relevant because players bought out before they turn 26 are owed one-third of their remaining monies instead of two-thirds. Buffalo has to be thinking it. Hodgson, drafted 10th overall in 2008, seemed like a great pick. It’s stunning to see how this evolved. He’s really got to show them something.

Not only was it suggested that Hodgson would be better, but also Evander Kane --- the healthy scratch.

You can't make this stuff up.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I vaguely recall someone very active in these parts saying that Hodgson would be a better fit then Kadri here.

Not only was it suggested that Hodgson would be better, but also Evander Kane --- the healthy scratch.

i suggested a gardiner hodgson swap

gardiner probably has more value but still think its an interesting idea. he was good in Vancouver :)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rumor on the trade board is Pitt is offering Bennett + Harrington + 2nd. Teams see the size, skill, and tenacity and might take a chance on Kane being a core piece in the future. Not saying it should be us, but Kane will get a bigger return than Lupul or Santa

Such a huge gamble. I'm not sure if Pittsburgh even need to have that kind of distraction around their team.

Why don't they just go hard after a player like JVR? Wouldn't take make so much more sense? Or perhaps another good offensive winger?

It's just... mind boggling to me that teams would give up so much for a player that has shown so little after just one good season years ago.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
1. Franson to Ducks
Ducks 1st to us (return somewhere between Kaberle and Zidlicky deadline deals)

2. Lupul to Preds
Viktor Stalberg (salary dump not even playing in the NHL but due 3.5 in real dollars) + Preds 1st round (get a better return by taking on a bad contract)

3. Bozak to Nucks
Nucks 1st + 3rd (similar return to guys like Fisher, Versteeg, Perron)

4. Winnik to Jets
Jets 3rd + 5th (similar return to Goc last deadline)

5. Santorelli we hopefully extend if not I predict a 2nd rounder for him similar to Moore at recent deadlines

6. Should also look to deal Polak because his trade value only goes after this deadline as he's a UFA after next year but not a long term piece. Only deal him if a team gives up a nice package which would be something like 2 2nd round pick (similar return to Murray, Regehr a few deadlines ago). Tampa is a likely destination.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada

Hodgson looked great at the draft. Had a bunch of back problems early on though IIRC and it stalled his development. Playing for Buffalo cant help either.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

It's obvious Kane has more value at this point in time than an injury prone Lupul and UFA Mike Santorelli

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hodgson looked great at the draft. Had a bunch of back problems early on though IIRC and it stalled his development. Playing for Buffalo cant help either.

Meh sounds like excuses about his injuries, but maybe that's why he hasn't played to his potential.

He's had a lot of chances in Buffalo to take over but keeps getting put on the fourth line or healthy scratched.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's obvious Kane has more value at this point in time than an injury prone Lupul and UFA Mike Santorelli

If Kane has that much value, I wonder what kind of return Kadri could get if he were to be made available like Kane... Hmmm...

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Have a feeling Kane + Toronto media would be a disaster. Plus he doesn't scream character guy, and aren't we trying to get away from poor character?

Kane to me has not taken that next step you want to see. He is a passenger on a team led by Ladd, Little, Wheeler and Buff with Scheifele and Trouba in the wings (not to mention their World Jr. contingent). It is easy to see why Kane is expendable, and we should not be looking for expendables (unless there is a weird circumstance).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad