FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season v.26 | Playoffs Editiion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Detroit is unhappy with Mantha. Leafs need to push hard for him in a deal involving Phaneuf.

http://www.thescore.com/news/758628

This isn't the Detroit Red Wings we know, trumpeting patience and reaping the rewards.

Senior vice president Jim Devellano was alarmingly critical of former first-round draft selection Anthony Mantha following the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins' 3-1 series-clinching win over the Toronto Marlies on Sunday.

"Very, very, very disappointing," Devellano told Keith Gave of FOX Sports Detroit after taking in the final three games of the Griffins' series. "And I say that with a lot of sadness.

"Coming out of junior, we had such high hopes for him."

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
:laugh:

Goes to the net, deflects pucks in, drives to net, screens goalie, power moves. He is a powerforward.

A top 10 pick has a chance to be as good as JVR, while JVR is a guaranteed thing.

Ohh I don't know... lots of players go to the net, deflect pucks, drive the net. I also think the top-5-7 in this draft have a chance to be real game changers, something I don't think JVR will ever be. JVR's ceiling is a great complimentary piece. One of the best IMO. But still complimentary. Just my 2c. If you can get a potential game changer for him, you do it. If not, then you don't. If our scouts don't think we can get one at 8 or 10 or 11 OA or whatever, then really you just don't do it. Our top line might be JVR-Strome-Nylander next year :laugh:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I know some posters have already discussed this stupid trade rumor by who else? - Eklund, than again I read the same rumor on Jeff Langridge at bleachersreport.com (again his sourse is also Eklund). I never bothered to comment initially as it does not make any sense, but let us examine this one more time, you comments are most welcome

To Carolina
- Kessel
- Kadri
- 3rd round pick

To Toronto
- 5th OA
- Semin

First of all Kessel himself is worth more than this 5th OA, no matter whether it's Hanifin, Marner, Strome or xyz (they are all still prospects and haven't proven any thing to be traded one on one for a elite established player), and than you give up Kadri and a 3rd round round pick for who? Alex Semin

Even though Kessel has gone through a rough season and I really do not have go into any details but Leafs should wait as long as they have to until the right deal is there (I don't care even if we have to). The 2nd part of this trade is even more laughable i.e Kadri and 3rd rounder for Semin. Kadri have already proven to be a legit 2nd line center with a room to grow and is still young. With your 3rd round pick even though there is no guarantee but you can still pick a serviceable asset. Semin used to be a good winger, but now his team is over and his career is downhill and he is making $7 M with 3 more years

I don't think if there is any truth to this rumor, and Leafs would even entertain this kind of a proposal

I know I have posted this on another thread as well

Thats pretty bad value for the leafs for two reasons.

1) Semin's contract is one of the worst in the NHL. He has negative value.

2) The leafs are in no place to move youth and picks for vets.

I wouldn't even move Kessel alone for the 5th + Semin

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Exactly - I don't know, how people get these ideas, his value should be more than 5th OA

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
Doesn't Carolina want to move Skinner? Again this is a Eklund rumor so I won't hold my breath, but in the case of possible deal between the two clubs, wouldn't a Skinner and 5 overall pick for something like Gardiner, Bozak and the Nashville 1st and next years 2nd make sense with maybe a prospect.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Doesn't Carolina want to move Skinner? Again this is a Eklund rumor so I won't hold my breath, but in the case of possible deal between the two clubs, wouldn't a Skinner and 5 overall pick for something like Gardiner, Bozak and the Nashville 1st and next years 2nd make sense , with maybe a prospect.

If you are a Leafs you do it in a heart beat. Jeff Skinner's stock has gown down significantly (may be just playing for the bad team) but still getting a 5th OA. Bozak and Gardiner, but they are also getting a late 1st (2105) and 2nd (2016)

Not a bad proposal as Carolina is still getting some value, but again best asset in this proposal is a 5th OA

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Call me crazy, but I would not be opposed to taking on Semin if that's what it took to make a deal.

As it stands he's being paid $7 million over the next 3 years. The Canes could retain $1-2 mil. of that, putting his cap hit at $5-6 million. We could then try to ship him off immediately, retaining $1-2 mil. ourselves and thus making his cap hit more affordable ($3-4 mil.) for what he brings, or take a chance on him bouncing back and maybe get a half-decent return in year 2 or 3.

That said, the deal proposed by Eklund is (to no one's surprise) terrible. The Canes would likely have to add at least another big piece to get a deal done for Kessel.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If you are a Leafs you do it in a heart beat. Jeff Skinner's stock has gown down significantly (may be just playing for the bad team) but still getting a 5th OA. Bozak and Gardiner, but they are also getting a late 1st (2105) and 2nd (2016)

Not a bad proposal as Carolina is still getting some value, but again best asset is still a 5th OA

Would never happen. The #5 has potential to be better than any player we are giving.

In my proposal of Kessel for 5th Semin and Fleury we are saying Kessel is an elite winger worth a 1st and a top prospect. In giving us a top 10 former pick as well this will be taken as compensation for Semin.

It's a perfectly fair trade IMHO.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Detroit is unhappy with Mantha. Leafs need to push hard for him in a deal involving Phaneuf.

http://www.thescore.com/news/758628

Well I'm just excited to see what we get for Phaneuf and Kessel... Because I just know it's going to be a lot. And I can't wait to see a whole bunch of people with their tails between their legs when they realize that Phaneuf and Kessel are actually valuable.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Would never happen. The #5 has potential to be better than any player we are giving.

In my proposal of Kessel for 5th Semin and Fleury we are saying Kessel is an elite winger worth a 1st and a top prospect. In giving us a top 10 former pick as well this will be taken as compensation for Semin.

It's a perfectly fair trade IMHO.

I would do this deal and run. One of Strome / Marner / Hanafin + Fleury is fair value for Kessel - taking on Semin to make it work.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Well I'm just excited to see what we get for Phaneuf and Kessel... Because I just know it's going to be a lot. And I can't wait to see a whole bunch of people with their tails between their legs when they realize that Phaneuf and Kessel are actually valuable.

You mean Dion is worth more than a 3rd rounder if we eat 50% salary?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Doesn't Carolina want to move Skinner? Again this is a Eklund rumor so I won't hold my breath, but in the case of possible deal between the two clubs, wouldn't a Skinner and 5 overall pick for something like Gardiner, Bozak and the Nashville 1st and next years 2nd make sense with maybe a prospect.

Nowhere near enough for that return.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I kind of liked Teemu Pulkkinen more. Way better in the AHL playoffs anyway though he's older. No idea why they would go public with this though?

dougieg93

Pray for Parayko
Jun 17, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I would still take Mantha in a trade - he had an off year yes, but he's also coming off a broken leg to start the season. He wasn't in the best of circumstances to play his rookie season in the AHL without training.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
To those who would ok with Semin I have a question.

Considering the Leafs are rebuilding next year and will have a lot of young players playing for them. Knowing Semin's past where his work ethic was called into question and how some nights he does not try hard, if that happens in Toronto won't that have a negative effect on their young players?

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
To those who would ok with Semin I have a question.

Considering the Leafs are rebuilding next year and will have a lot of young players playing for them. Knowing Semin's past where his work ethic was called into question and how some nights he does not try hard, if that happens in Toronto won't that have a negative effect on their young players?

I think if taking Semin meant us getting an elite level prospect then it's a no brainer. You do it. There are options for minimizing a negative impact Semin may have. Trading him and retaining 50% of his salary for something. Putting him with the Marlies. If it meant getting 2 Marner, Strome or Hanifin then I have no issue taking on Semin.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think if taking Semin meant us getting an elite level prospect then it's a no brainer. You do it. There are options for minimizing a negative impact Semin may have. Trading him and retaining 50% of his salary for something. Putting him with the Marlies. If it meant getting 2 Marner, Strome or Hanifin then I have no issue taking on Semin.
I agree that if adding him means they also get the 5th overall pick it's something they need to seriously think about. It's just that his past is what bothers me.

dougieg93

Pray for Parayko
Jun 17, 2007
San Francisco, CA
What else does Carolina have that you would want from them?

If I had to pick I would ask for Los Angeles 1st round pick in 2016 that they own, so something like that Toronto should ask for.

That would do it from my perspective as well. 2 1sts might be a tough pill to swallow for Carolina, but to give away Kessel and take on a really bad contract deserves a pretty big return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad