FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.24 | Post trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I wonder would Calgary would be interested in Kessel? With Burke there, anything is possible. The 15th pick where Calgary are likely to be picking would be something Leafs should be very interested in.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I wonder would Calgary would be interested in Kessel? With Burke there, anything is possible. The 15th pick where Calgary are likely to be picking would be something Leafs should be very interested in.

CGY 1st + Emile Poirier + roster player(s) for cap reasons for Kessel.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
And that's the kind of chances I think the Leafs should take in this rebuild. Fill the roster with these type of guys and character veterans. Try to find gems, or turn players that were given up into new picks. Also create a situation where our prospects actually have to beat out competition to earn spots, not getting things handed on a silver platter.
Seriously, it's zero-risk. I don't understand why people are objecting to this. If you think this season was a write-off, just wait until next year. :laugh:

Literally no reason not to take a chance on a guy like Hodgson, or any other struggling players who might benefit from a change of scenery. Worst case, they suck and contribute to the tank; best case, they make something of the opportunity like MacArthur, Raymond, Santorelli, etc. did and we can flip them for additional picks/prospects.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Seriously, it's zero-risk. I don't understand why people are objecting to this. If you think this season was a write-off, just wait until next year. :laugh:

Literally no reason not to take a chance on a guy like Hodgson, or any other struggling players who might benefit from a change of scenery. Worst case, they suck and contribute to the tank; best case, they make something of the opportunity like MacArthur, Raymond, Santorelli, etc. did and we can flip them for additional picks/prospects.

I'd even take it a step further. Instead of hoping on getting lucky with bargain bin guys, sign 2nd-3rd liners and RHD for 2-3 million more than the next best offer on a 1-year deal. Trade them with 50% retention at the deadline, then rinse and repeat next year.

I'd like to do that kind of thing with Jagr. It'd be cool to see a legend in the blue and white, he'd get top PP time and decent minutes to showcase himself if we go through with the scorched earth plan, and he'd probably return a 1st if he has a good season. Sign him for 4mil, trade him at 2.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You'd rather have Jankowski than Poirier?

I'd do the Poirier deal.

Yeah, he was always an intriguing pick by Calgary, a very late Birthday his draft year. At this point, I think we need to get our hands on potential Top 6 Centers. I think Calgary would have a real hard time giving him up because they put in 3 years of development into him already. But with Bennett and Monahan already locked in. I think this would be a very interesting fit for both teams.

Getting our hands on the 15th pick is my goal. There are going to be some very good players available at 15 this draft.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Yeah, he was always an intriguing pick by Calgary, a very late Birthday his draft year. At this point, I think we need to get our hands on potential Top 6 Centers. I think Calgary would have a real hard time giving him up because they put in 3 years of development into him already. But with Bennett and Monahan already locked in. I think this would be a very interesting fit for both teams.

Honestly, I like Jankowski and I'd like to have him, but he's nowhere close to Poirier imo. Poirier is a top prospect, a do it all player with huge upside.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Not interested in Jankowski as the primary prospect coming back in a Kessel deal.

Didn't like the pick then, still don't like the pick now.

Just don't see the upside.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would have to imagine if a deal was made for Kessel, and we are just speculating Calgary due to the Burke fondness of Kessel.

Let's say Jones(salary take back 1 year 4M), Mark Jankowski(Calgary are not going to give up Bennett don't see this) the first rd pick in 2015(if it's in the 15th range), and let's throw in a 2nd in 2016 for good measure.

That's not a bad package IMO.

It's not easy to unload 8 x 7.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I would have to imagine if a deal was made for Kessel, and we are just speculating Calgary due to the Burke fondness of Kessel.

Let's say Jones(salary take back 1 year 4M), Mark Jankowski(Calgary are not going to give up Bennett don't see this) the first rd pick in 2015(if it's in the 15th range), and let's throw in a 2nd in 2016 for good measure.

That's not a bad package IMO.

That's terrible.... I'd rather keep Kessel.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well I want Bennett, is there any chance Burke would do this? We are dealing a 8 x 7 contract here. That's an added albatross. No matter how good a producer Phil is.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
If we traded Phil to Calgary this is my minimum ask:

1st 2015 + Joe Colborne + Emile Poirier.

Nothing under. I dont care what the cap situation is. Their 1st will be a middle pick, Colborne is showing he can maybe be a 2/3C, and Poirier a potential 50 pt winger.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why? 8M x 8, next year 7 years remaining. The way Phil has played this year, how's he going to look at age 30-34 of this deal? He's not known for taking care of himself like Gary Roberts. Who's kidding who here….

If we can make a deal while he is at his most value, you make it. Not unless one thinks we are going to contend in the next couple of years.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
If we traded Phil to Calgary this is my minimum ask:

1st 2015 + Joe Colborne + Emile Poirier.

Nothing under. I dont care what the cap situation is. Their 1st will be a middle pick, Colborne is showing he can maybe be a 2/3C, and Poirier a potential 50 pt winger.

worst offer i've seen yet.

colborne is useless. we've had him once, don't want him again no matter how well he's played in calgary. i dont see poirier panning out. and that 1st is in the middle of the draft.

we're trading a top 5 scorer in the league for this garbage? **** no.

we need to be asking more, and if calgary offers this, we walk away.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
1st 2015 + 2nd 2016 + 5th 2015 + Morgan Klimchuk + John Gilmour

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
15th overall could get you one of Konecny, Provorov, Merkley, Connor, Carlo, or Bittner. So let's look at the biggest piece of a possible trade. Nevermind getting rid of a 8x7 albatross of a contract when Kessel hits the decline at 30+ years of age.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
15th overall could get you one of Konecny, Provorov, Merkley, Connor, Carlo, or Bittner. So let's look at the biggest piece of a possible trade. Nevermind getting rid of a 8x7 albatross of a contract when Kessel hits the decline at 30+ years of age.

its not an albatross contract. its a market value contract for a player of his caliber.

and how do you know he's going to decline after 30? got a crystal ball? just because he looks fat doesn't mean he'll decline.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
its not an albatross contract. its a market value contract for a player of his caliber.

and how do you know he's going to decline after 30? got a crystal ball? just because he looks fat doesn't mean he'll decline.

Neither camps know, but players do not generally improve when they hit 30. Given Kessel's lack of appetite for off season working out. One can make an educated guess, mother nature will take its course. There is still time for him to do what Roberts did to prolong his career at a high level, but that is up to Phil this summer. Anyone that knows him this past 6 years, knows that is not likely to happen.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kessel's contract is up before he hits 35. He'll likely expereince a decline like most players do when they hit 30+, but I don't think it'll be drastic - at least not until his current contract expires.

Calgary would likely be interested in him, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a deal they'd be willing to offer that would be worth it for the leafs. A 1st is nice, but i'd want something a lot better with it - and I don't think Calgary would be willing to give something else of value.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Kessel's contract is up before he hits 35. He'll likely expereince a decline like most players do when they hit 30+, but I don't think it'll be drastic - at least not until his current contract expires.

Calgary would likely be interested in him, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a deal they'd be willing to offer that would be worth it for the leafs. A 1st is nice, but i'd want something a lot better with it - and I don't think Calgary would be willing to give something else of value.

a 1st a 2nd a prospect a cap dump and let's call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad