FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.23 | post trade deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Then what's the point in acquiring Weiss? He makes 700k more than Bozak and is 3 years older.

If you're looking to get rid of Bozak, trade him for prospects and sign a guy like Fleischmann at half the price in free agency for half the amount of time.

Cap space is going to be one of the Leafs greatest assets going forward. And as sad as that sounds, it's an important thing to consider for when teams are looking to offload bloated contracts and in return the Leafs could get more of a return.

Take the Holzer trade that Anaheim made at the deadline. For the Ducks to acquire Wisniewski, they needed to get rid of Brewer's contract. His play had declined so much that they gave the Leafs a 5th round pick for Holzer. A guy that they could have claimed on the waivers earlier in the year. A 5th round pick doesn't seem to be like very much right now, but if it turns into a guy like Connor Brown, Palat or Andrew Shaw, then people are over the moon about it.

The point of acquiring Weiss is what else comes with it? Not Weiss himself. If a prospect we covet is not included then there is no point.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The point of acquiring Weiss is what else comes with it? Not Weiss himself. If a prospect we covet is not included then there is no point.

What's the difference between Bozak and Weiss though? I don't see any point in why the Red Wings would trade him right now.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What's the difference between Bozak and Weiss though? I don't see any point in why the Red Wings would trade him right now.

Forget the difference between Bozak/Weiss. That's not the point. He would be a cap dump to acquire a player like Mantha in a deal. That's all.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Forget the difference between Bozak/Weiss. That's not the point. He would be a cap dump to acquire a player like Mantha in a deal. That's all.

Not in a trade for Bozak though. You aren't getting close to Mantha with a deal that involves Bozak.

They didn't even want to trade him in a deal with Phaneuf.

There is no deal that I can think of where the Wings trade the Leafs Mantha.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
They would trade him in a heartbeat. He's been bad

They have both been awful. But what's the point in the trade? Just seems weird and no point.

Weiss is like the Bolland and Lupul's of the world. Had a ton of talent before, but is often injured and won't put up any numbers anymore. Now he's a burden on the cap.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
You guys think Dallas would be interested in a Phaneuf + Bernier deal?

Both of them fill a need, so I think it seems reasonable.

Dont know anything about the Stars prospects, so I dont what they'd give back. I'd want their first.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph

Dont know anything about the Stars prospects, so I dont what they'd give back. I'd want their first.

Might be too rich for them -- I think it'll likely be one or the other. I could see them having interest in Bernier though. Especially if we took Lehtonen and his massive contract off their hands.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If the Sabres buy out Hodgson this summer, I hope the Leafs bring him in. Wouldn't be a bad reclamation project while we rebuild. Next season's centers;

Kadri
Holland
Hodgson
Carrick

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

ehhhhhhh, gonna have to say no

the + berny part is a step too far

they are in a bit of a pickle

Kari Lehtonen G

and they are not swimming in cap space nor extra deep in prospects to spare.

they probably have enough to spare for dion but both guys? i doubt it.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

I could see them being interested.

Phaneuf + Bernier
For
Lehtonen + '15 1st + Jason Dickinson

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If the Sabres buy out Hodgson this summer, I hope the Leafs bring him in. Wouldn't be a bad reclamation project while we rebuild. Next season's centers;

Kadri
Holland
Hodgson
Carrick
Please no Hodgson, and highly doubt Kadri's back if he doesn't sign for cheap.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Please no Hodgson, and highly doubt Kadri's back if he doesn't sign for cheap.

I don't have a problem with bringing him in if he's cheap. He could be a hot commodity again, and he's still young.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't have a problem with bringing him in if he's cheap. He could be a hot commodity again, and he's still young.
Leafs need to get bigger up the middle, Hodgson isn't big, maybe the Goat can crack the lineup for the 4th line, but doubt he'll be ready, regardless the Leafs need to get bigger as a team, and more importantly up the middle imo.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Leafs need to get bigger up the middle, Hodgson isn't big, maybe the Goat can crack the lineup for the 4th line, but doubt he'll be ready, regardless the Leafs need to get bigger as a team, and more importantly up the middle imo.

We need to get bigger up the middle? For what, exactly?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
We need to get bigger up the middle? For what, exactly?
to be successful, overpower opposition, win battles, a NHL team can have a few small players, but if you don't have team size, you ain't winning anything in the playoffs.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
to be successful, overpower opposition, win battles, a NHL team can have a few small players, but if you don't have team size, you ain't winning anything in the playoffs.

Playoffs? Have you missed that we are rebuilding? Well, not that it would matter if we were or not, either way we are not likely to see playoffs in quite a while.

We are not going to be successful, overpower opposition, win battles etc right now. That is absolutely of no consequence in year 1 of our rebuild.

Picking up a Hodgson, giving him a good chance and possibly turn his career around so we can grab an asset for him in return. That's good for the rebuild.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Playoffs? Have you missed that we are rebuilding? Well, not that it would matter if we were or not, either way we are not likely to see playoffs in quite a while.

We are not going to be successful, overpower opposition, win battles etc right now. That is absolutely of no consequence in year 1 of our rebuild.

Picking up a Hodgson, giving him a good chance and possibly turn his career around so we can grab an asset for him in return. That's good for the rebuild.

He'll probably end up getting bought out, so there is a chance he could come here on a 1 year MacArthur type deal.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He'll probably end up getting bought out, so there is a chance he could come here on a 1 year MacArthur type deal.

And that's the kind of chances I think the Leafs should take in this rebuild. Fill the roster with these type of guys and character veterans. Try to find gems, or turn players that were given up into new picks. Also create a situation where our prospects actually have to beat out competition to earn spots, not getting things handed on a silver platter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad