FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.21, 4 Days to TDD - Anything is possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Ugh, I hope to god we don't touch that trade with a 100-ft pole. The only way I'd have been willing to take on Richards was with their 2015 1st and Toffoli in a deal for Dion, but since they've traded that pick, and likely won't move Toffoli, I don't want to go from 1 terrible deal to another.

Keep the space, use it on 1 year FAs or trades for cap dumps with 1-2 years left, and let the team grow properly. If in 2 years our "worst" contracts are Komarov and Gardiner, then we are in a fantastic position and will have tons of options. Don't screw that up by taking on Richards unless they make it absolutely impossible to say no (Toffoli + Kempe for Dion - won't happen, but that's what it'd take for me to say yes to Richards).

I understand where you are coming from as it is a large contract to take back, and I agree a 1st or Toffoli/Pearson will not be involved, but what about Kempe + Weal? Those are two solid prospects along with the added leadership of Richards during a rebuild. It sure is tempting IMO.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
At this point I am convinced Lupul will be gone before/on Monday. Also have a strong feeling Bozak will be too.

I have a feeling 1 will still be here, but man I would be ecstatic if Nonis goes full EA and moves them out by Monday. 15M in cap for the next 3 years traded in the span of 3 days...lol

This Clarkson trade has me so excited for the rebuild lol, it literally opens up a world of possibilities going forward.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I have a feeling 1 will still be here, but man I would be ecstatic if Nonis goes full EA and moves them out by Monday. 15M in cap for the next 3 years traded in the span of 3 days...lol

This Clarkson trade has me so excited for the rebuild lol, it literally opens up a world of possibilities going forward.

I agree, without Clarkson's 5.25M cap hit that gives a lot more options for the future. Like it is actually amazing how many different potential routes have probably opened up because of that trade.

I still hope we stay on the same path and focus on the long term goal ahead. I believe our management team will though.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Do not want Weiss, he hasnt done anything and another Lupul tbh

If we accept to take Weiss, I would expect them to give up more.

He's got only 3 more years left at 4.9 I believe.

I'd do something like Phaneuf for Weiss, 2015 1st, B level prospect

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I understand where you are coming from as it is a large contract to take back, and I agree a 1st or Toffoli/Pearson will not be involved, but what about Kempe + Weal? Those are two solid prospects along with the added leadership of Richards during a rebuild. It sure is temping IMO.

I don't see Weal as a fantastic prospect, more of another boom/bust guy, which you can have too many of when we've already got Brown/Leipsic/Johnson going forward. I'm also not convinced of Richards' leadership, and don't think it's worth $5.75M a year.

TBH, and this only kind of goes with the above, I'm not really a fan of taking on any contract that has money and term on it right now, because there is no player that can come in and fix this mess.

I mean, if there's an offer that sees us getting McDavid, I do it, because being 18, he is someone you can build around. Look at Tavares, he's 24 and only now is his team starting to become relevant after years of building. You trade for a star player with big money, odds are you're moving all your valuable pieces and then you're not contending for years to come and the guy is in his 30s at that point.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
By some grace of God we escaped the Clarkson deal, so now people want Richards? He's just as bad, why people, why?

It's... mind boggling. The only way I do it if they include Toffolli and a 1st round pick. I'm not even joking. And they won't do it. So I'm fine with it.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
the more i've thought about lupul in Boston would be great

they've really missed iggy and i think he'd be a perfect replacement and a better age....obviousy durability is a question but its a good fit imo

I guess with Krejci's injury they can fit it in for this year.

And their cap penalty (what was it, around $4M?) comes off the books this summer, so maybe they could have done it.

Depends what else comes back obviously but perhaps there could be a move here.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

And their cap penalty (what was it, around $4M?) comes off the books this summer, so maybe they could have done it.

I would probably assume Griffith is a player the Leafs would love to grab in return.

I've mentioned this before, but I could see a deal like this:

Chris Kelly (cap dump; useful bottom line center with a 3M cap hit, could be used as bait the following season)
Seth Griffith (ex-London Knight)
2nd 2015
4th 2016

Lupul
Jokinen (50% salary retained)

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

I think i suggested something with Seidenberg and Kelly coming back
Lupul (1.25 retained), Holzer

Boston includes prospect/pick(s)....Subban and philly 2nd

I think Seidenberg would be a great vet to add....in the pola mold

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
the more i've thought about lupul in Boston would be great

they've really missed iggy and i think he'd be a perfect replacement and a better age....obviousy durability is a question but its a good fit imo

Lupul for Chris Kelly + picks/prospects?

They'd need to send some salary back

Then if the Leafs can move Bozak they'd have Kadri, Holland, and Kelly as top 9 centres .. Kelly is signed through next season too and would make a good rental player next year

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Boston is not after him

They're after Stewart and some other guys

They're probably speaking to a bunch of teams right now

Ideally they won't take any player on with term (most teams looking to add at the deadline are in the same spot) but they may be hesitant to pay the price of a rental .. Besides once those rentals are gone, Lupul and Bozak become more appealing - essentially they're a second option for teams looking to add.

Sounds like Leafs management is setting the table for the deadline, once a few guys like Stewart and Vermette get moved it will open things up a bit.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
/thread everyone go home

/thread until 4:00pm at least it seems the past few days.
...i dont understand why all the deals are going down at that time, do they want radio talk for the drive home?

Swayze*

They're probably speaking to a bunch of teams right now

Ideally they won't take any player on with term (most teams looking to add at the deadline are in the same spot) but they may be hesitant to pay the price of a rental .. Besides once those rentals are gone, Lupul and Bozak become more appealing - essentially they're a second option for teams looking to add.

Sounds like Leafs management is setting the table for the deadline, once a few guys like Stewart and Vermette get moved it will open things up a bit.

Ya Chia has to be very careful to save his job AND they have huge cap troubles so there's no way they take on a bozak or lupul IMO

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Again, talking in certainties. The only thing we know for certain, is that David Clarkson, Cody Franson, Mike Santorelli, and Dan Winnik have been traded.

At this point, we're totally out of playoff contention, so we're not worried about being good, but no GM is going to approach a full season with that attitude.

I just read your posts in this thread and you're making more sense than 90% of the other people. Too many people are just so excited to see a trade come they're not really looking at the situation logically.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I'm sure Boston is a lot more interested in Stewart and that Lupul is plan B. Stewart is probably gonna cost a lot less, and IIRC, the Bruins may be in cap trouble this offseason, and Stewart is a pending UFA, so that makes him even more intriguing to them.

I think they're the team thats waiting on Murray to accept the trade, tbh.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I'm sure Boston is a lot more interested in Stewart and that Lupul is plan B. Stewart is probably gonna cost a lot less, and IIRC, the Bruins may be in cap trouble this offseason, and Stewart is a pending UFA, so that makes him even more intriguing to them.

I think they're the team thats waiting on Murray to accept the trade, tbh.

Only for cap reasons... Stewart is not a clutch player, and has not been good since traded away from Stastny
Lupul is a far better player, if there were no health issues he wouldnt even be on the block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad