F Zach Solow - Dubuque Fighting Saints, USHL (2017 Draft)

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=272232

5'09, 180lbs

Currently has:

24gp 10g 24a 34p (4ppg, 10pp assists)

This kid is a first-time draft-eligible player, was recently named to the USHL Top Prospects Game, and currently leads the USHL in scoring. At 1.26 he has the 4th highest points-per-game in the league, slightly below Casey Mittelstadt(1.31) but above Eeli Tolvanen (1.17), two players who seem be comfortably in the top half of the first round in this year's draft. Solow, on the other hand doesn't seem to appear on any draft lists. For example, based on his most recent list, Craig Button doesn't see him as one of the top 105 players available in this year's draft.

I've never seen him play. Has anyone here? Any idea why he isn't ranked higher?

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
On the draft rankings, he was so low, I would stay away from him.

Don't know anything about him.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Just named USHL forward of the year. I know he's on the smaller side but what else is causing him to be ranked so low?

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Just named USHL forward of the year. I know he's on the smaller side but what else is causing him to be ranked so low?

Heh.

Teams are going to shy away from 5'9", particularly from a player who has good defensive chops like Solow. I think its mostly a myth that a smaller guy's defensive skills are less likely to translate, but that won't stop teams from believing it. Also while a fantastic playmaker, Solow also scores goals at a very low rate--and that's in the USHL. He's also on the older end of his draft class.

I wouldn't complain if my team drafted him starting in the late second round range, and I would predict maybe 4th round.

By the way, it seems like everyone is sleeping a bit on his frequent linemate Cole Guttman, who I really like. Had a natural hat trick last weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad