F Yusaku Ando - Youngstown Phantoms, USHL (2021 Draft)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Thought it was worth making a thread of him since all his talk keeps coming back into the Iguchi thread. Japanese born forward put up solid stats (over goal per game) in the NAPHL's Pursuit of Excellence Prep School. Has okay frame being 5'8", but still needs to bulk up as he is currently 140 lbs. Some people who follow Japanese hockey say he's as talented as a player they've had - very good goalscorer.

He was drafted in the 22nd round of the past USHL draft and just signed with the Phantoms. They're probably throwing him a bone, however, it will be interesting to see how well he does.

Yusaku Ando at eliteprospects.com

bobby183

Sep 10, 2016
Vancouver and Tokyo
I saw him play a few times last season in E15 of CSSHL. He definitely have the speed, agility, hard and accurate shots that are all noticeably above his peers in that league. He played for one of the weakest teams in the league so not as easy to accumulate points with less posessions and chances but he still registered highest points in the league throughout the season.

Interesting to see how effective he will be in USHL playing against better kids 2 to 3 years older.

As another reference, he did play for U18 team Japan as a 15 year old in D1B World championship this spring in Hungary and was the point getter and MVP of the team which lead the team to Gold medal and the promotion to D1A.

Last edited:
Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

bobby183

Sep 10, 2016
Vancouver and Tokyo
Ando made the roster for Japan's national Junior team (U20) as a 15 year old turning 16 this fall. They went to Czech Rep for the national team's camp and played test match against a Czech team called Orli Znojmo this week...don't know who and how good they are but Ando scored 6 goals and 2 assists in the game of 10-2 for Japan. He was a part of 8 goals out of 10! Not bad. Interesting to see how he does at USHL this coming season.

Last edited:

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
He's easily the best Japanese prospect in his age group. Super excited to see where he goes from here, but he's no Andong Song to the Islanders. The little bit of hype he has was well earned.

I think he probably tops out as a legitimate division 1 NCAA prospect and while that might look like same old to a Canadian or US Jr. A player, that's huge for Japan to produce a guy like that. Even if he doesn't quite get up there, it's just nice to see the growth from programs out west of North America.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
I watch plenty of CSSHL live, probably more than anybody here.

I'm excited for Ando, I like his accurate shot and ability to create open space for his teammates with his effective skating.

Pursuit of Excellence and Okanagan Academy have by far the highest costs to play, hence why I think their programs are weaker.

ecco

Jul 18, 2006
Iowa
Went to the Youngstown @ Cedar Rapids game this past Saturday. Ando had an assist in the 2nd period on a nice zone entry and pass to the slot. He was definitely one of the smallest players on the ice, but that didn't stop him from laying a few hits. The thing I noticed most is that he was a little floaty and seemed to be cherry-picking at the Cedar Rapids blueline most of the night.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like his offensive skills, and his edge work is phenomenal. His straight ahead speed isn't bad either for a smaller forward, but I can't see him being effective at higher levels. He plays so small. I agree with the comment above that called him a floater. He struggles to create offense when its not on an odd man rush or the PP because he's small, he's weak, and he plays on the perimeter. I can still see him being a mid round pick because there is offensive potential, but he's going to need to put on some more weight and play a little bigger. He's not going to have much success at higher levels if he can't do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad