F Yuri Terao - Komazawa Tomakomai, Japan (2014 undrafted)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He's very small but full of skill. He really impressed me in the rookie scrimmage. He likely won't ever play in the NHL but I could def see him playing pro in Europe somewhere.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He's very small but full of skill. He really impressed me in the rookie scrimmage. He likely won't ever play in the NHL but I could def see him playing pro in Europe somewhere.

This pretty much sums it up.

He's a blue collar worker on the ice and has skill, but is small.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
ive seen him a few times in japan and boy he was skilled. I remember seeing him practice when he was around 11, hitting clappers from the red line and going top shelf.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Watched him at the scrimmage game from NYI website.

- Great skater (Almost every player Japan produces is an exceptional skater)
- Great stickhandler, very good part of his game.
- Great shot
- Doesn't really play a small game (BUT I don't think he would survive in the main training camp)

In the game he reminded me a lot of Marek Svatos (probably smaller :laugh::sarcasm:). If he was bigger at around 5'11" to 6'1" this kid would have definitely been drafted or sign an ELC.

Last edited:

Mutagenesis

Nucks/Isles
Jul 21, 2013
Representin' the ABQ
Watched him at the scrimmage game from NYI website.

- Great skater (Almost every player Japan produces is an exceptional skater)
- Great stickhandler, very good part of his game.
- Great shot
- Doesn't really play a small game (BUT I don't think he would survive in the main training camp)

In the game he reminded me a lot of Marek Svatos (probably smaller :laugh::sarcasm:). If he was bigger at around 5'11" to 6'1" this kid would have definitely been drafted or sign an ELC.

Thanks for the insights, from everyone else too. Apparently Columbus also invited a Japanese player, 5'11 dman. :laugh:

Oct 30, 2011
If he gets to the NHL, it'll probably be the long way.

If he really wants a shot at the NHL, maybe he should go the college route(to learn English and whatnot).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Thanks for the insights, from everyone else too. Apparently Columbus also invited a Japanese player, 5'11 dman. :laugh:

Actually the Blue Jackets fans had a lot of good things to say about Ryo Hashimoto as well (posted decent numbers as a 21 year old against men). Maybe perhaps it's because players in the far off regions away from North America have no expectations. But Japan is top 10-15 in world for the most players registered for hockey so I am not that surprised. Only problem is height will always be a concern for Japan or any other Asian country. They will need St. Louis or Zuccarello's talent level to overcome the height problem.

Klown

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
If not NHL, any team in Europe would probably fit his style of play. Maybe an Allsvenskan team with a J20 Superelit team where he can play if he doesn't make the a-team roster. I know Mora IF have had a couple of Japansese junior players in the past.

Mutagenesis

Nucks/Isles
Jul 21, 2013
Representin' the ABQ
If not NHL, any team in Europe would probably fit his style of play. Maybe an Allsvenskan team with a J20 Superelit team where he can play if he doesn't make the a-team roster. I know Mora IF have had a couple of Japansese junior players in the past.

True, I could see him becoming an Oscar Möller type one day, but even that might be a stretch.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Anyone around here familiar with Japan U20/U18 teams?

How did he not play U20 this year after being their top player in U18 a year ago? He was even named top forward in the D1B U18 tournament that included a number of MHL players.

Seems odd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad