f*** you Freddie Anderson

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The one counterpoint I would have regarding Kochetkov as an option is that Freddy was shaky after game 5 in the Isles series (didn't really have any "A" games in that series) and on the short turnaround for game 2 I probably would have gone to Kooch after the game 1 loss. Biggest issue is that he hadn't really worked up to a #1 type workload by the playoffs, and when he wasn't exactly on his game vs the Isles I would have been quick to pull the trigger on going to the backup. Rod's a more old school guy though so I get why he didn't, I just disagree with it based off what I had watched in the prior series.
He'll stick with Freddie letting in garbage goals all series, but one sub-par game from a line that had like 55 points in 10 games coming into the playoffs, and it was permanently broken up for the rest of the year

Brindy definitely deserves some criticisms for the way he botched lines this year.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
He'll stick with Freddie letting in garbage goals all series, but one sub-par game from a line that had like 55 points in 10 games coming into the playoffs, and it was permanently broken up for the rest of the year

Brindy definitely deserves some criticisms for the way he botched lines this year.
and yet the lines nor the goal tending sunk us.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
When all of our losses were by one goal (or 2 with an ENG) then yes you absolutely can point to voluntarily splitting up one of the hottest lines in the league and never playing them again as a big reason for or demise
Ot you can look at where we dominated, 5v5, and realize the lines werent the issue. Special teams can’t be historically bad against a top tier team and win without perfection elsewhere. Perfection is an unattainable goal so it isn’t happening. 5v5 we did exactly what we needed to. Freddie was even this series in goals allowed above expected, so he did as expected. But at least we got this thread though

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Ot you can look at where we dominated, 5v5, and realize the lines werent the issue. Special teams can’t be historically bad against a top tier team and win without perfection elsewhere. Perfection is an unattainable goal so it isn’t happening. 5v5 we did exactly what we needed to. Freddie was even this series in goals allowed above expected, so he did as expected. But at least we got this thread though

Freddie was outperformed by Igor. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. And that wouldn't be a huge deal, except it's a noticable pattern in our playoff exits.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Freddie was outperformed by Igor. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. And that wouldn't be a huge deal, except it's a noticable pattern in our playoff exits.
something would be wrong if Igor didnt outperform Freddie. Igor is a top flight goalie. Freddie is an average starter. we didnt need andersen to be more than average.

Noticable patter of our exits is there isnt a noticable pattern to our exits

18-19: the whole team was hurt, including mrazek, and boston whopped us
19-20: got 5v5 and special teams by the Bruins
20-21: special teams
21-22: raanta ran out of gas
22-23: no enough scoring 5v5 likely due to injuries, couldnt score in OT
23-24: special teams, couldnt score in OT

Reactions: Tryamw

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Or the pattern is that we're trying to win series against elite goaltenders with our average goaltending. That's a losing formula every time.

Reactions: Daeavorn

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
I would trade Darcy K. on the Caps for Freddie if you are interested in a goalie swap…

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Or the pattern is that we're trying to win series against elite goaltenders with our average goaltending. That's a losing formula every time.
we should hope to get lucky and find an elite goalie in the draft. we didnt lose this year due to running up against elite goaltending, once again.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
we should hope to get lucky and find an elite goalie in the draft. we didnt lose this year due to running up against elite goaltending, once again.
You could argue that Freddie let in probably 3 soft goals and Igor really didn't, or that Igor made some key saves at critical junctures more than Freddie did, as much as you could argue that special teams let us down. If either one of those situations is reversed, the Canes likely win or at a minimum are going to game 7.

Sheshsterkin had a .919 SV% during the series. Freddie had .878 and Pytor had .880

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
You could argue that Freddie let in probably 3 soft goals and Igor really didn't, as much as you could argue that special teams let us down. If either one of those situations is reversed, the Canes likely win or at a minimum are going to game 7.

Sheshsterkin had a .919 SV% during the series. Freddie had .878 and Pytor had .880
Save percentage isn’t a good measure of goalie performance especially with our system

Reactions: Idiot Stick

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Save percentage isn’t a good measure of goalie performance especially with our system

Somewhat, but when there are that many soft goals, it is a good measure.

GSAA
IGOR: 2.17
Freddie: -0.52

Even so, watching the games, Freddie was outplayed IMO. He let in more soft goals and Igor made more critical saves on tough shots at key junctures.

Eye test and stats tell me he was outplayed.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Somewhat, but when there are that many soft goals, it is a good measure.

GSAA
IGOR: 2.17
Freddie: -0.52

Even so, watching the games, Freddie was outplayed IMO. He let in more soft goals and Igor made more critical saves on tough shots at key junctures.

Eye test and stats tell me he was outplayed.
GSAx has Freddie at 0.36. Igor definitely out performed that but again that is expected. We got what we needed out of freddie and what we pay him for. Average goaltending. Needed the game 4-6 special teams the first 3 games.

Freddie had 2 games of 1.41 and 1.39 GSAx too. Game 1 was his worst by far at -1.82 but a lot of that is due to the odd bounce goals.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
rod didnt say that, just adding words to pad the talking point.. he said we cant have the goal. he didnt say it was Freddie.

Alright. Like I said last night, there's no discussing this with you, because you're always going to absolve Freddie. Even in games where the stats you were using to support him say he played poorly, you write it off as "odd bounce goals."

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Alright. Like I said last night, there's no discussing this with you, because you're always going to absolve Freddie. Even in games where the stats you were using to support him say he played poorly, you write it off as "odd bounce goals."
Yet here we are with the same talking points and dismissing context because it doesn’t fit you

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yet here we are with the same talking points and dismissing context because it doesn’t fit you

The context being your belief that Freddie was good enough in this series, when everyone and everything else is saying that's simply not true. Because if he was good enough, we'd be getting ready for Game 7 tomorrow

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That 2nd goal the Rags scored is the kind of goal that got Raanta sent to the AHL this year. It's the kind of goal that had it have been Kooch he would be healthy scratched the next game and if some of our younger skaters made a comparable error they wouldn't see another shift that night.

Just brutal mental mistakes to cost us the game and series.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
You're right, this year is one of the few that we didn't run up against elite goaltending. Which makes Freddie's inability to outperform him even worse.

Freddie was just fine. Igor is elite but the difference in the 2 isn’t why we lost. Special teams can’t be historically bad for 3 games

I triggered a bunch of ranger fans in the main board when I pointed out that Igor was very beatable, and wasn’t the reason the Hurricanes lost the series. Somehow allowing 3+ goals in all but one game qualifies as elite, and he was one of the biggest reasons we lost the series.

Slapshottothehead

May 5, 2024
When managment signed Anderson it kinda came across to me as settling for less... leafs fans told us he didnt play well in big games.. but thats all we had. Team should have stepped up and gotten a stud, instead of this dud.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad