F Tij Iginla - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2024 NHL Draft)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I expected more honestly after following this thread. I find his game to be too individualistic.

Positives:
- hard worker/ high motor.
- constantly drives plays towards the net.

Not sure where to put his IQ.

- Playmaking is very inconsistent.
- Tunnel vision.

I have to say that these U18 games are the only time that I have seen him live, (oh I forgot about the CHL top prospect game.) So please go ahead and take my opinion with a grain of salt.

IQ is definitely not an issue. It's certainly a strength of his in fact.

His game isn't perfect and needs some refining, which would fix some of the issues you are outlining. He can play hero puck a bit too much, meaning he can try to create things individually too much using his above-average hands, which can lead to turnovers and wasted pucks.

I think a big reason for that is Iginla playing on Kelowna's 2nd line all season beside far inferior offensive players. Not an ideal environment for a guy who's primarily a goal scorer. He had to create his own offense, a lot of the time by challenging players 1 on 1 and driving the puck to the net.

It should be able to be coached out of him.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
His stock amongst armchair scouts seems to be skyrocketing with his playoff performance in the dub.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go as early a 6, or as late as 12 to be honest. This draft seems to have a middle tier of guys who are sort of in the same area.

He’s not getting past Calgary at 9.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Out of Chicago and Blackhawks, whoever doesn't get Celebrini will take Lindstrom IMO.

I don't see San Jose going forward if they don't get Celebrini, they haven't picked a 1st round defenseman in ages. Most of the quality in their prospect pool is up front.

Chicago and Blackhawks should take Demidov if available.

They should take the highest rated defenseman.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I expected more honestly after following this thread. I find his game to be too individualistic.

Positives:
- hard worker/ high motor.
- constantly drives plays towards the net.

Not sure where to put his IQ.

- Playmaking is very inconsistent.
- Tunnel vision.

I have to say that these U18 games are the only time that I have seen him live, (oh I forgot about the CHL top prospect game.) So please go ahead and take my opinion with a grain of salt.
You watched the game yesterday and this is the conclusion you came to?... WOW haha.

What about McQueen? I know he’s now done, but I thought he was also better through two games. Luchanko is another I think has done arguably as well as Iginla. If we want to go by points, Spence leads him with 5 to 4.
14 points in 7 games for Iginla. Primary assist on the game tieing goal which was a no looker and then gets the game winner with an absolute snipe. You must be reeling!

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
What about McQueen? I know he’s now done, but I thought he was also better through two games. Luchanko is another I think has done arguably as well as Iginla. If we want to go by points, Spence leads him with 5 to 4.
Luchanko is a very good player, but feels more like a projectable middle 6er who is responsible defensively and scores 50 points a year. Iginla feels more like a top 6er who scores 70 points a year

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Did he produce enough in the end for you?
He was best in the last game.

I thought he did better than Eiserman and Connelly, but those guys had issues other pure offensive production. Comparing him to Helenius is tough. I thought Helenius was decent, but his team was so disappointing. Probably works against him that he couldn’t carry them, but it’s comparing 5 vs. 7 games.

None of them were that good. They were all outscored by a defenseman who might not even be a first round pick this year. Iginla was 5th in scoring in the end. Could’ve been better. Could’ve been worse. I don’t think he did his stock any damage by finishing strong, but none of the top 2024’s at this tournament had tournaments that would make me think they locked in top 10 spots.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He was best in the last game.

I thought he did better than Eiserman and Connelly, but those guys had issues other pure offensive production. Comparing him to Helenius is tough. I thought Helenius was decent, but his team was so disappointing. Probably works against him that he couldn’t carry them, but it’s comparing 5 vs. 7 games.

None of them were that good. They were all outscored by a defenseman who might not even be a first round pick this year. Iginla was 5th in scoring in the end. Could’ve been better. Could’ve been worse. I don’t think he did his stock any damage by finishing strong, but none of the top 2024’s at this tournament had tournaments that would make me think they locked in top 10 spots.
'Could have been better' 14 points in 7 games, primary assist on the game tieing goal and gets the game winning goal in the gold medal game. Keep it up you're doing awesome!

Reactions: Blueston

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
'Could have been better' 14 points in 7 games, primary assist on the game tieing goal and gets the game winning goal in the gold medal game. Keep it up you're doing awesome!
You're replying to someone who believes Catton is in contention for 1st overall

It's a lost cause

Reactions: coooldude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad