F Tij Iginla - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2024 NHL Draft)

Raskolnikow

Jun 19, 2018
Catton has comfortably better numbers than Benson did. Plays on a much worse team. He’s also 2 inches taller and a much better skater.

I think some people want so badly for Iginla to be something he’s not. He’s a good player. Compared to the best players in this draft he’s going to be exposed. He might only be Alex Nylander in the sense of a player who teams made a mistake to pick too high due to his last name. I think he can be better than that and Nylander wasn’t that bad of a prospect. Hasn’t worked out as it could’ve, but I think there’s too many emotional views of his potential and not enough related strictly to what he will be. Jarome isn’t returning to the ice.

I can see that some people might be emotionally inclined to the name Iginla. Well, I'm not. It's just that I am very impressed with his development and the things he added to his game. In no way do I see him becoming a player as dominant as his father, but for me he is a lock to become a good top-6-player in the NHL. Of course I might be wrong.

Catton scoring more points than Benson in his draft year doesn't interest me at all. Neither do the two inches difference in height. Benson is way more assertive and already making an impact in the NHL as an 18 year old (although not consistently yet). I seriously doubt that Catton, despite being a great prospect in his own, can follow in his footsteps.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
But Benson have a higher compete level, that more important in NHL.
I don't agree. Point is a better player than Cirelli although Cirelli has higher compete.

Also Benson is like the top tier of compete level that does not mean he will become a better player than Michkov for instance.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Think people putting Tij above Berkly are trying to be to woke. Iginla is a great prospect but Catton has a chance to be a franchise changer, imo
Woke? HAHAHA what?

I prefer the bigger player that I know is going to compete every night and has the physical make up to be able to be effective against D men at the next level. Catton is a heck of a talent but he is small, for him to be an effective player on a contender he's gonna have to be able to stay healthy as a small person and be extremely elite. Is he a first line C? If he is only a 60 point player at the NHL level you dont win with those types of guys as second line centers.

I don't agree. Point is a better player than Cirelli although Cirelli has higher compete.

Also Benson is like the top tier of compete level that does not mean he will become a better player than Michkov for instance.
Debatable dont think these two situations and players are comparable. Point has insanely high compete level.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
He’s already so good at spinning away from pressure and shielding the puck from defenders. Also so aggressive trying to take the middle of the ice. Imagine when he’s 20 pounds heavier with the strength of a man. I think he compares very favorably to Ryan Leonard. Leonard was more physically developed in his DY, but I think Tij actually possesses the more complete skill set.

Reactions: cheechoo

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Debatable dont think these two situations and players are comparable. Point has insanely high compete level.
Not debatable. Point worked on his game especially his defensive game and skating after he was drafted. It took him years to become what he is now.

Cirelli without his compete is not a NHL player.

If you prefer use Kucherov or Bedard, highly talented but not the compete level of Benson. I would still rather have them on my team.

Compete is important but you make it seems like it is the most important which is not especially not for 17 years old players. They have to learn in becoming pro player and that is a process, some are more advanced but other will take more time.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
And you know this, how?
It’s extremely clear when you watch them play. Benson is the best motor+skill combo I think I’ve ever seen in the CHL in all my years watching. I watched Benson 50+ times in a Dub. Catton not nearly as much. Only half a dozen times probably. He reminds me a lot of Clayton Keller.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So where do we project this guy in the draft now? Seems like he has been climbing all year. Enough to be comfortably top 10?
I wouldn’t be mad if my team took him in the 8-10 range, but I think Tij is destined to go ~11-13. I wouldn’t be shocked if all six top defensemen went in the top-10, and I would be very shocked if Demidov, Lindstrom, or Catton fell out of the top-10 either.

HitterD

Apr 25, 2022
Calgary
Yeah I agree with the above, most likely 4 forwards will go ahead if Tij (Celebrini, Catton, Lindstro and Demidov) and possibly Eiserman as well, which puts Iginla most likely at 11-12 if all 6 dman go ahead of him as well

Wild card is whereever the Flames finish in the standings. As of right now the Flames can realistically finish as low as 8th-last. As hard as it would be to pass on the centers and the top 6 dmen, the Flames will have the best book on Iginla and it will be very hard to pass on him

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not debatable. Point worked on his game especially his defensive game and skating after he was drafted. It took him years to become what he is now.

Cirelli without his compete is not a NHL player.

If you prefer use Kucherov or Bedard, highly talented but not the compete level of Benson. I would still rather have them on my team.

Compete is important but you make it seems like it is the most important which is not especially not for 17 years old players. They have to learn in becoming pro player and that is a process, some are more advanced but other will take more time.
That doesnt mean that Cirelli has a higher compete level than Point..... The talent isnt close, and thats why point is a star and cirelli is a good middle 6 forward.

Iginla has skill, pedigree, size and compete he Cirelli didnt score 50 goals in his draft year.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I don't know where he ends up but I for sure would have him at the top or near the top of my Do Please Draft list. Hands/size/speed, what's not to like? Love the way he puts his nose down and drives the net. Jarome was fearless in this regard as well.

Also bares mentioning that he's been around what involves being an NHLer for much of his life as well. Knowing what to expect is a major advantage for these kids. You need to have the right mindset to be an effective NHL player and if Keith Tkachuk and Michael Nylander can impart it I don't doubt Jarome Iginla's propensity for doing so either.

Last edited:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I'm at the point where if Detroit misses the playoffs, I hope they drop below Calgary.

Feel like Iggy's kid ain't going past them. We already know ownership will step in and overrule management, and drafting the son of your franchise player is going to be dollar signs in the eyes of ownership.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
I am adamant that this kid will be talked about as a potential top-5 pick at the draft. Scouts LOVE exponential growth from D-1 to Draft year. And bloodlines are no joke. He seems to me like an incredibly safe, high-end guy.

Of course I could be wrong. But them’s my 2 cents.

Reactions: Andrei79

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Really, really liking his game. I don't see how he falls past 15 but I can see him going around 10-12. I would be ecstatic for Detroit to add a guy like this

I love how despite his risky dangles and moves, I see it as him experimenting and rather not defecting because he does lots of translatable things to like and shows a good hockey brain

Drives the middle, attacks along the boards like a hound, and comes off the boards and makes quick high percentage plays. Crazy motor and he's got size and speed. What's not to like here as a kid who's been rising all year. Doesn't even need Cristall in his line to drive offense

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Remember when Jack Quinn went over Marco Rossi even though he had 30 less points on the same team and everyone lost their minds?

That could very well happen with Iginla and Catton, despite Catton having 30 more points right now.

Not saying the players are perfectly comparable by any means, but scouts don't put as much faith in production as people on this site compared to projectability, tools, development curve, etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad