F Teuvo Teräväinen - Jokerit, SM-Liiga (2012, 18th overall, Chicago)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Dude, are you serious? C'mon, no way

I've never bought the Granlund hype. He's not a good enough skater in my opinion. He is great in Finland but I don't think he will have the success in North America as many think. On the other hand, I believe Teravainen will be a star in the NHL.

Latex*

I've never bought the Granlund hype. He's not a good enough skater in my opinion. He is great in Finland but I don't think he will have the success in North America as many think. On the other hand, I believe Teravainen will be a star in the NHL.

Teräväinen's skating seems to be one of the most overrated things there is around here. Sure he's extremely agile, pivots and turns well but his straight line speed leaves a lot to be desired. And it happens to be one of the most important things needed in north american hockey.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Teräväinen's skating seems to be one of the most overrated things there is around here. Sure he's extremely agile, pivots and turns well but his straight line speed leaves a lot to be desired. And it happens to be one of the most important things needed in north american hockey.

There's first step quickness and then there's straight line speed. From the very limitted viewings I've had of TT, it appears his first step quickness is good and his straight line speed is at least adequate, if not good. During the last team scrimage this past Monday night, TT and Kane were on a 2 on 1 breakaway from the red line in and TT seemed as fast as Kane and Kane is plenty fast, especially on a breakaway. TT had the puck going down the left boards and Kane was on the right angling in toward the goal. TT should have shot because the d-man was playing more for the pass than the shot but TT kind of deferred to Kane and sent him a pass that Kane couldn't get under control well enough to get a shot on goal. But the point is that TT looked fast enough on that breakaway.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Teravainen's skating seems to be a neverending issue of dispute.

What everyone agrees on is that he is shifty and elusive
but the consensus ends there; some think
his first steps/explosiveness are not that good, some think they are fine at least,
some think his straight line speed is average at most, some call him fast...

bookjones

Aug 15, 2010
The Hockey Writers

"Teuvo Teravainen; Chicago’s Next One"

http://thehockeywriters.com/teuvo-teravainen-chicagos-next-one/?utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=bufferd17a4

Gotta love those opening paragraphs! :)

Teuvo Teravainen is going to be an NHL star, the only question is how big? After finally being able to witness the young Finn in person this week at Blackhawks camp I am able to realize what all the fuss is about. This kid is the real deal. At age 19 Teravainen was centering a line of Bryan Bickell and Patrick Kane in a Red vs. White scrimmage Monday night. He didn’t look out of place for a second. He will clearly need to gain more weight and become stronger to fight through checks but his skill level is already high end. High end skill like this is hard to find at any point in the draft but especially in the late first round (18th) where the Hawks selected him.

The comparisons to Patrick Kane are legitimate. Kane is certainly on his own level at this point in his career but I can see the similarities between the two players at 19.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I actually take starting and stopping with agility as more important. With his hockey IQ, he won't get caught often. I haven't been a big fan of his top gear or straight line, but I think he will be fine and his explosiveness will help him. Also other players don't go full tilt with you when they think you are about to embarrass them and he wrong foots a lot of people.

bookjones

Aug 15, 2010
It sure was fun watching him this preseason. Such a top-end guy. Looking forward to seeing him in the World Juniors, and following him on Jokerit

Agreed on both counts and that's my plan too! :) Actually, it was great watching him ALL offseason because the Lake Placid eval camp was just a pure joy of a time to watch him and see him shine/excel to the degree he did---EASILY made FastHockey's pretty high rates for buying the gm archives worth it.

At least thanks to Liiga's new deal with Ruutu it looks like fans can now subscribe monthly for Liiga games online and w/an on-demand feature. This would be great as opposed to scouring the net for the VERY rare live stream or the odd full gm archive being temp hosted on a European site or YT before it disappears. This Ruutu service could be ideal for me especially since this season I only have to catch the CHL games of 4 (maybe 5 on the slim chance A.Broadhurst returns to LON) Hawks prospects down from last year's hellacious 8 teams.

Lastly, just this below from Thur's. game because it looks so damn good. :)

2ce53wy.jpg

Last edited:

Latex*

I actually take starting and stopping with agility as more important. With his hockey IQ, he won't get caught often. I haven't been a big fan of his top gear or straight line, but I think he will be fine and his explosiveness will help him. Also other players don't go full tilt with you when they think you are about to embarrass them and he wrong foots a lot of people.

Yeah, I too think he'll be a good NHLer. I was just bringing up the fact that he isn't as fast as people make it seem.

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
:cry:

When is the earliest that his teams season could end in Finland?

I expect he will be joining the Hawks before end of year

13th of March is the last day of regular season, but Jokerit will play in the playoffs guaranteed. Then add a week and a half or something per playoff series

Latex*

Well IMO TT's whole skating style doesn't look that fast but he actually goes fast (enough) there.

Fast skater? (Above average) Yes, but not exceptional or excellent like many of our fellow finns make it seem.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
With all the finnish prospects that have come in few years and are to come only Kasperi Kapanen has elite skating

bookjones

Aug 15, 2010
And all of the evaluation is not based on 2 preseason NHL games. He does play in another league you know...

This. And if a person has been reading this thread since its inception then it's clearly not about how he is performing at any one event. The excitement fans whether Jokerit, Blackhawks or say Finns may have about him is not just about what he did in 2 stupid preseason games and 4 or 5 TC scrimmages for the Hawks. If people around the world are his fans and have been following him for years then it's about being happy for the continued signs of development at all levels no matter where he plays like U18 Five Nations, U20 WJC, Prospects Camp, NJEC, and Jokerit. Each place he plays and the performance he delivers there doesn't just exist in a vacuum when evaluating "which way he is headed" IMO and not every fan or every reporter or scout only just heard of him yesterday or once he was drafted by the Blackhawks. It has to all be viewed as a hockey career-to-date whole or on as a whole continuum.

Eh, I personally only thought he was OK during these 2 pre-season gms---certainly not bad and definitely flashed some tantalizing abilities at times. He basically acquitted himself just fine. And I think overall he had a good TC when you throw in his very solid scrimmages play. It was certainly great to see him over here for 2 weeks for Blackhawks purposes since he skipped PC and the Rookie Tournament.

Last edited:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Blackhawks wanted teuvo to play in the NHL this year but Teuvo and his finnish team feeled that extra year would be good for him.

Blackhawks brass are very high on Teräväinen and he will most likely get good chance with world class linemates next year. It's scary to think how high ceiling this kid has...

http://m.iltalehti.fi/smliiga/2013092317524869_sm.shtml

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I'm sure he was promised to Jokerit, and the Blackhawks (or perhaps more specifically, the NHL) didn't want to ruffle any feathers with the transfer agreement.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Teuvo in Jokerit means that he will be in WJC. Same goes with Määttä, who has really been impressive in Pens pre-season games but will be in OHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad