F Scott Wilson Called Up From WBS

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Pens just brought up Wilson. I am pretty excited to see this kid tonight hopefully. He has been playing a defensively oriented responsible game on the LW, and has some real nice playmaking skills. Not sure if he will ever be much of a goal scorer, but the guy sure can set up his teammates. Shoots from the left.

I think he can be a legit bottom 6 guy, with 2nd line upside, but not likely to reach it. Would be awesome if he could make the transition early, and help with our depth problems this season after playing 3 years of college.

Here are some interesting stats that imply Wilson has been our best all-around forward in WBS this season. The Baby Pens have a huge scoring differential when Wilson is on the ice 5-on-5, scoring 80% of all goals when he skates.

http://chirpsfromcenterice.com/charts/

Wilson averaged over a point per game his first 2 seasons of college hockey, than fell off significantly last season due to a wrist injury, and buying-in to his college coach and Bill Guerin, who were coaching him to become a much more complete player and focus on puck pursuit, and playing defense. He is your standard 5'11" 195 type player, good skater, not very physical, otherwise plays a complete game and hustles.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2014/03/20_wilsons_return_helps_re-ignite.php

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476293

From Hockey's Future: Scott Wilson is an offensively-minded forward with superb hockey sense. Equally competent at shooting and distributing the puck…
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/scott_wilson/

I have a really good feeling about this player.

Last edited:

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I was hoping a guy like Rust would have got the call-up, but not a big deal either way. Hopefully he gets to play, but if he does that probably means Crosby is out, so...

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Pens just brought up Wilson. I am pretty excited to see this kid tonight hopefully. He has been playing a defensively oriented responsible game, and has some real nice playmaking skills. Not sure if he will ever be much of a goal scorer, but the guy sure can set up his teammates.

I think he can be a legit bottom 6 guy, with 2nd line upside, but not likely to reach it. Would be awesome if he could make the transition early, and help with our depth problems this season after playing 3 years of college.

I'd just like to see him play with some sandpaper and establish himself as a bottom six option for us moving forward who's better than Sill or Adams.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Excited for him. I know he'll probably get bottom six duty, but I always kinda want to see guys like him thrown together with Malkin, etc., for a few shifts.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I was hoping a guy like Rust would have got the call-up, but not a big deal either way. Hopefully he gets to play, but if he does that probably means Crosby is out, so...

Kind of what I was thinking. Excited for him but I hope he spends the night in the press box. Unless they want to throw him in there for Sill or something, I'd be ok with that.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Rust is a RH RWer so makes little sense to call him up, especially given Megna's struggles adapting to his off side at the NHL level.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Rust is a RH RWer so makes little sense to call him up, especially given Megna's struggles adapting to his off side at the NHL level.

Yeah, I guess that's a good point that I was too stupid to think of on my own. :laugh:

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Hopefully he replaces Sill if Crosby does still play tonight

This is my hope. He would bring some creativity to the 4th line, while still playing a defensively responsible game with strong puck pursuit.

He is the kind of player I want to see performing on the 4th line before trying him elsewhere. No need to jump him up with the superstars yet.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I wonder if they would reunite the Megna-Ebbett-Wilson line tonight. Assuming the chemistry they have in the A translates, it would be a great 4th line IMO.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I wonder if they would reunite the Megna-Ebbett-Wilson line tonight. Assuming the chemistry they have in the A translates, it would be a great 4th line IMO.

I'd rather stick Spaling between them.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Is he any good?

I think he is a lock to be in our bottom 6 sometime in the next year. So yes he is good.

On the other hand, is he good enough to play with Sid and Geno? That I do not know yet.

But for a bottom 6 forward, he passes the tv eye-test IMO.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
I think he is a lock to be in our bottom 6 sometime in the next year. So yes he is good.

On the other hand, is he good enough to play with Sid and Geno? That I do not know yet.

But for a bottom 6 forward, he passes the tv eye-test IMO.

A lock? i wouldn't go that far.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Really happy that they are finally giving a look to a guy that might make some sort of impact with this team at some point. Maybe even short-term, if we're lucky.

Not so happy that it is possibly because Crosby is out with... an illness that required tests.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad