F Samu Tuomaala - Jukurit Liiga/U20 (2021, 46th, PHI)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I highly doubt he starts in the Liiga from the get go, that might be why he is not listed (yet).

That's possible.
I don't know what plans Kärpät have made for Samu Tuomaala
so there is chance he can report to Sudbury.

But i can see A juniors and Mestis as a options for Tuomaala as well.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
He is behind Koblizek, Ak.Räty, Tieksola and Sedlak on the RW depth chart. Puljujärvi might still sign, so Tuomaala should really go and play with Byfield.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He is behind Koblizek, Ak.Räty, Tieksola and Sedlak on the RW depth chart. Puljujärvi might still sign, so Tuomaala should really go and play with Byfield.

Why Kärpät can't loan Tuomaala other SM liiga team like Jukurit, Sport, Kookoo etc?
But yeah OHL is good option also.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Doesn't matter since Tuomaala isn't exactly a Liiga player. He'd play at u-20s anyway.

I don't get why people think Finnish players should go play in CHL. How many times has that worked for them, exactly?

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Playing his first Liiga game for Kärpät vs KooKoo today. He is playing on the second line with Jokinen and Mustonen.

And Räty starting his season on the 4th line with Kuokkanen and Koblizek. That is not your traditional 4th line.

Koira666

Jun 3, 2019
Good game for him, he looked better than Räty in my opinion. If Kärpät had to choose who to keep between Räty and Tuomaala I’d prefer the last one.

Reactions: ShiroganeKvasha30

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
didn't see the whole game but from what i saw only Tuomaala was the noticeable one, didn't notice Raty whatsoever.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Barely any discussion about this guy all season, but he may be the best Finnish player in this draft. One of the best 1v1 wingers in recent drafts between his skating acceleration, stick handling, creativity, and shooting. I think he’s similar to Kupari, and won’t be picked too much later than Kupari was.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Barely any discussion about this guy all season, but he may be the best Finnish player in this draft. One of the best 1v1 wingers in recent drafts between his skating acceleration, stick handling, creativity, and shooting. I think he’s similar to Kupari, and won’t be picked too much later than Kupari was.
Another one of those players who has fallen victim to the "he can't play defense very well" syndrome that still plagues the scouting community. Playing defense is something that can be taught, however try to teach a kid how to skate and shoot like Tuomaala and I'll be waiting a long time.

Reactions: Svedu and Trizz617

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Another one of those players who has fallen victim to the "he can't play defense very well" syndrome that still plagues the scouting community. Playing defense is something that can be taught, however try to teach a kid how to skate and shoot like Tuomaala and I'll be waiting a long time.

This. 3+1 in 2 games so far. Conpletely took over both games in the last 10 minutes with tying goal in the last minute and gwg with 20 seconds left.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I never saw finnish name with double As like that growing up. Granted, finns in my area were usually from a small area of Finland (Ullava) and my family was pretty much the only family not from there. Raanta and Tuomaala just seem weird to me :D Lack of exposure I guess.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
https://www.is.fi/jaakiekko/art-2000007948358.html

Nice clickbait from Iltasanomat. It says "Strong estimation by the boss of Kärpät: better than Puljujärvi", and actually he said that "he might even be better goalscorer" than Pulju.

But he's a great talent. Should be first round pick. Kärpät shows their power again as a powerhouse of player development.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Finnish forward Samu Tuomaala had one of the standout performances of the recent IIHF Under 18 World Championships putting up five goals and six assists for 11 points in seven games. He was named a Top 3 Player on Finland by the team’s coaches. Tuomaala was also named to the Tournament All-Star Team. He was coming off a strong season in the Karpat system in Finland. While Tuomaala didn’t pick up a point in five games in the SM-Liiga, he did a lot better in the Finnish Under-20 league. He scored 15 goals and 16 assists for 31 points in 30 games. He also had four points in five playoff games.

Tuomaala also played in the Under-20 league in 2019-20. The then 16-year-old put up 15 goals and 10 assists for 25 points in 40 games. He also played in one playoff game before the season was cancelled due to the pandemic. Tuomaala represented Finland at the Under 17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored three goals and two assists for five points in five tournament games. His father, Pasi Tuomaala, is an equipment manager in the Karpat junior system, working with the Under-18 team.

2021 NHL Draft #34: Samu Tuomaala Scouting Report

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad