F Roman Lyubimov (2010 undrafted; 2016 signed, PHI)

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
I see that he is tied for 16th overall in points at the WC so that is quite impressive for a young guy! Four goals and three assists in seven games without prime ice time. Seems that his KHL contract is up and I wonder if a NHL team could be interested. Most had never heard of Soshnikov prior to the Leafs signing him. Worth watching.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Third line centre potential? Flyers may have that spot open for a fight since Cousins isn't signed yet and Gordon is likely to be a lock 4C. He has the grit but does he have offensive upside?

I doubt he can be a good C on the NHL level, so I currently see him more as a bottom-six winger. Yes, the offensive upside is a bit doubtful, but it's not like guys like this can't produce decent points if utilized properly.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I doubt he can be a good C on the NHL level, so I currently see him more as a bottom-six winger. Yes, the offensive upside is a bit doubtful, but it's not like guys like this can't produce decent points if utilized properly.

Thanks. Flyers obviously have TOP6 spots filled so centering 3rd-4th line would make sense if he can pull it off.

If he starts the year in Flyers jersey it means up to that point everything seems to gone right with the kid. 3rd line is a line that Flyers really haven't had in a long time, at least a contributing 3rd line. So if he can bring anything, speed, grit, hits, he's pretty good.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's great to see the guys who work that hard, get rewarded. Flyers fans have wanted him to be getting more icetime.

He will likely only be a 4th liner, but getting those guys for free instead of wasting draft picks in them is nice. Nice find by Hextall and the scouting staff.

LePalle

Aug 22, 2006
South Jersey
It's great to see the guys who work that hard, get rewarded. Flyers fans have wanted him to be getting more icetime.

He will likely only be a 4th liner, but getting those guys for free instead of wasting draft picks in them is nice. Nice find by Hextall and the scouting staff.

If he's a career fourth liner he's a fourth liner that can bump up to any part of the lineup if there's injuries.

Like Vandevelde, apparently. :sarcasm:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
It's interesting, and I've said this in Svetlakov's thread, NHL teams don't draft Russian (or even European in general) grinders. There are plenty of them in NA. NHL teams look for skill in Europe. The players that ended up in grinder roles (Burmistrov, Kulemin, etc) were 2-way prospects whose offensive game didn't develop.

And this is where the whole perception of European players are softer comes from.

Well, if NHL teams were to just draft skill players from NA...

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He's starting to get the minutes to finally show something but it's also with two really limited players in Bellemare & VandeVelde. Those two really aren't skilled at all even for bottom six standards. Lyubimov can make some skilled plays but those two usually poorly react to it. So I think he can give more offense than he's showed to this point. I think he can be a good two-way guy for bottom six standards.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Right now I think Lyubimov is a top 9 forward.

He has also been called the hardest working player he's ever seen by Jake Voracek.

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
He's been great on the 4th line. It's weird saying you love a 4th liner's play so much but after watching a 4th line of Bellamare/Vandevelde/White/Rinaldo for a couple years, actual skill stands out.

He's big, fast, forechecks like a mad man, works his ass off on the boards, and can score ... It was crazy he was scratched for awhile but I think he's made it clear how effective he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad