F Patrick Moynihan - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 158th, NJD)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Could you give me the current U-18 lineup? Last I heard and saw I thought Zegras was on Hughes’ wing.

It changes from game to game. I said Zegras and Turcotte because he’s played with both recently. At the U18 tournament in Russia that Hughes didn’t play in, he was playing with Zegras. The last few games, he’s been playing with Turcotte.

The coach changes it a lot. There are very few defined roles with the forward group. Boldy, a likely top 10 pick, had been on the fourth line recently. Turcotte had been listed on the third line with two grinders recently. Zegras moves back and forth between wing and center. It means very little. I think this is a coach who is trying to get all his players drafted instead of loading up his stars on two lines and sending them out there for 20 minutes each.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Zegras and Turcotte are going to get this guy drafted 2-3 rounders higher than he should go.

Moynihan is as low maintenance as they come. Easily one of the hardest workers on the team, and he creates his own time and space. If anything, those guys got a lot of gimme assists from Moynihan exploding past everyone.

Reactions: Dux917

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Moynihan is as low maintenance as they come. Easily one of the hardest workers on the team, and he creates his own time and space. If anything, those guys got a lot of gimme assists from Moynihan exploding past everyone.

They got those points before Wroblewski started this strategy. Grinders like Moynihan weren’t getting the same amount of points. All I’m saying is that I would be careful when drafting a player like this. If he needs to be elevated to a line with a top 5-10 pick for his draft stock to be more than a mid/late round flier, I think that’s a risky proposition.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
They got those points before Wroblewski started this strategy. Grinders like Moynihan weren’t getting the same amount of points. All I’m saying is that I would be careful when drafting a player like this. If he needs to be elevated to a line with a top 5-10 pick for his draft stock to be more than a mid/late round flier, I think that’s a risky proposition.

Moynihan isn’t a grinder. Not with that shot, accuracy and finish around the net. I would say that looking at stats is equally as risky.

He has not been carried at all. He’s the one out there pressuring on the forecheck, stealing pucks in the neutral zone and finishing his checks with authority, in addition to having and excellent speed/shot combo off the rush.

He has nobody to thank for his rise up the rankings but himself.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Moynihan isn’t a grinder. Not with that shot, accuracy and finish around the net. I would say that looking at stats is equally as risky.

He has not been carried at all. He’s the one out there pressuring on the forecheck, stealing pucks in the neutral zone and finishing his checks with authority, in addition to having and excellent speed/shot combo off the rush.

He has nobody to thank for his rise up the rankings but himself.

So now I'm looking at stats? Do you think I haven't watched the team play a number of times this season?

I've watched games. I think its hard to completely judge the quality of some of the forwards who aren't the high-end ones because they are usually given lower roles.

I'm merely saying I would not waste a top 2-3 round pick on Moynihan, Gildon, Lindmark, but thats only my opinion. Maybe you are right or maybe I change my mind eventually.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
So now I'm looking at stats? Do you think I haven't watched the team play a number of times this season?

I've watched games. I think its hard to completely judge the quality of some of the forwards who aren't the high-end ones because they are usually given lower roles.

I'm merely saying I would not waste a top 2-3 round pick on Moynihan, Gildon, Lindmark, but thats only my opinion. Maybe you are right or maybe I change my mind eventually.

I know you watch them. I’m just saying that looking at pre/post production or QoT as some sort of indicator also is risky. If a kid goes 15 games without a point but generates offense on his own and competes hard, then usually I’m impressed.

It goes both ways. Remember how DeBrincat was a byproduct of McDavid? Puljujarvi from Aho?

If a kid shows promise and potential with or without the puck, the stats become less and less relevant. In Moynihan’s case, the stats — 23 pts in last 23 games — back up the effort on the ice, regardless of which line he plays on.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Moynihan is a fantastic two way player who is a glue type player that every team needs. Very underated because the role he plays on a stacked offensive team. Moynihan does the small things and reminds me a lot of Patrice Bergeron. You have to see a lot of games to appreciate what he does. There is more to hockey than piling up points. The U18s have a ton of players that fill up the nets and Moynihan takes on the role of making plays and working hard in corners and playing sound 200 ft hockey. Love his game and would absolutely take him in 2-3rd rounds.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I wasn't a big fan of his as an U17. I actually thought he might be a guy that would struggle as an U18 and possible be demoted back to the U17s when the IIHF U18 tournament rolled around. But he improved, grew on me, and carved out a nice niche on the team.

Did he get to play with some elite players that elevated his stats? Yep, and I think it's clear scouts thought that was the case with where he was drafted. But it's also a credit to a guy like Moynihan that he was be able to play successfully with elite players like Hughes, Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy, and Caufield. A lot of guys struggle to play well with players that are so far beyond them skill wise. Moynihan's skill set though was a good fit - he's a hard worker, he's good at deftly settling into open ice in the offensive zone and he has a good shot - and those elite players will find you and they did.

He's a long term play for a possible NHL career. I'm really interested to see how he does next year with Providence without the elite talent he's been used to playing with for the last 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad