F Niko Huuhtanen - Jukurit, Liiga (2021, 224th, TBL)

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I think rookie of the year should have been Leevi Meriläinen.

Huuhtanen won the rookie of the year award. Well deserved. AHL/NHL next season?
Tampa hasn't signed Huuhtanen yet. Still has a year left on Jukurit contract. So AHL/NHL next season probably not.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Great start to the season for him. I was a bit surprised that Huuhtanen didn't already go to AHL or try to get a spot in Tampa. Nothing wrong with marinating in Liiga though when he gets good amount of playing time. Next season then.

Reactions: Meuracas

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Great start to the season for him. I was a bit surprised that Huuhtanen didn't already go to AHL or try to get a spot in Tampa. Nothing wrong with marinating in Liiga though when he gets good amount of playing time. Next season then.
AHL has an awful track record with Finnish forwards. Seldom a good idea

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
AHL has an awful track record with Finnish forwards. Seldom a good idea

Yep. Tampa has his rights for 2 more years, no need to rush him. Working with Jokinen has been really good for him.

Look what happened with Eetu Tuulola, similar type of player to Huuhtanen, came back worse than he was before leaving for AHL. Samuel Helenius seems to be in the same path, looks like Kings want him to be a fighter or something.

Other than Hintz and Rantanen no one has really developed in the AHL.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Other than Hintz and Rantanen no one has really developed in the AHL.
Maccelli, Lindell, Granlund, Teräväinen, Tolvanen and Välimäki just to name some of the currently playing ones. This is bullshit. A lot of the better prospects don't have to go through AHL because they play their D+whatever in Liiga. You're either good enough and can play the NA game or you can't. AHL does not ruin anyone. The only chance Samuel Helenius has ever had to become an NHL player is to be a 4th line gritty grinder, because that's all he's good for.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Why was he drafted so late?

Or was it just a case of him really not being that good in his draft year and then he caught fire the following season?

Was impressive in Everett after he got drafted and then his stats look good since then while in Finland

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Now up to 34 points in 36 games. 10 points in the last 5 games.

Great find by Tampa. Big gritty power forward with hands and lethal shot.

He was one of the worst skaters i've ever seen as a 17 year so compared to that he is actually decent now.

Probably spends one year in the AHL next season to work on his skating a bit.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad