Post-Game Talk: f*** Mike Smith

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
IMO, this one isn’t on Tippett. It’s on Holland. The coach can only play the players he’s been given. They don’t want to run Koskinen into the ground like they did last year so they need somebody else to play around 30 games. Holland gave Tippett Smith to be that guy. Unless he gets someone else he doesn’t have a choice so there’s not much he can do. He’s forced to play him and ripping him in public isn’t going to make him better. The question is how long is Holland going to let this go on for when it sure looks like Smith isn’t good enough to play in this league anymore.

This is essentially it.

Koski can see around 40-50 games tops. That's what it is. Meaning we need somebody else stopping rubber in other games. Mike Smith has gone Chernobyl for at least a month. Smith wasn't a good plan from the outset because he can't eat 40 games at age 38. What he is is a Vet goalie that can add some feedback, be a support, and play 20-25 games. Not 40.

We ideally have a young backstop in the mix learning from the two vets going into these games and shouldering some of the load. That this hasn't occurred is all on the org. Its on Hollland for not getting somebody else, and its on Tippett for partying with Smith likes its 2012. An older Tippett is dreaming about what an older Smith was and with an old Holland watching. Ironically the Pens win with a young Oil Kings goalie knocking it out of the park while we've got a bunch of dinosaurs in the net, and in charge.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
RNH is on pace for another sub 50 pt season. If we can parlay him into a trade for something useful, f***ing just do it already.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
They saw what they wanted to see, nothing more.
Exactly.

What they saw then was the same thing they saw on last nights replay. Should have been enough to let the goal stand. Every referee looks for something to justify their on ice decision. That’s why those decisions need to be made by the same guy in the war room instead of a biased referee.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Heard Mike Smith saying he thought he played well. 2 breakaways...2 screens. OK then, how about stopping a f***ing breakaway or two Mike? How about tracking the puck? How about not coming across so hard on the one timer that half your body is literally inside your net giving the other half to the shooter. How about not blaming your defensemen? How about stopping a f***ing puck when the team needs a f***ing save?

We have Smith on one of his famous I Suck At Goaltending stages.

What I cant stand is his lack of accountability and blaming his D for screens.

Get him the f*** out of town Ken.

Reactions: Duke74

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
To be fair, he was drafted first overall in one of the weakest draft years in recent memory, so his expectations were probably unfair. But for a #1 overall pick, this guy has looked exactly the same since year 3. I haven't seen any evolution out of this player. Even his vaunted playmaking skills have been nowhere to be found in recent years. He doesn't even make any nice passing plays any more. He's literally a younger sam gagner out there

Been saying that Nuge's 'shifty' junior moves worked at first because no one saw them coming. Now everyone seemingly has a read on the guy so he's got nothing else to show for.

RNH is on pace for another sub 50 pt season. If we can parlay him into a trade for something useful, ****ing just do it already.

But but he's supposed to be some 2way responsible whiz at center that plays 20 mins according to a few here. It's as if because he logs 20 mins, it means something. I've always said-just because he plays 20 mins doesn't mean it was 20 mins of quality play

Heard Mike Smith saying he thought he played well. 2 breakaways...2 screens. OK then, how about stopping a ****ing breakaway or two Mike? How about tracking the puck? How about not coming across so hard on the one timer that half your body is literally inside your net giving the other half to the shooter. How about not blaming your defensemen? How about stopping a ****ing puck when the team needs a ****ing save?

Get him the **** out of town Ken.

Seems like Smith thinks breakaways should be ignored if it's a GA SMH

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Been saying that Nuge's 'shifty' junior moves worked at first because no one saw them coming. Now everyone seemingly has a read on the guy so he's got nothing to show for. But but he's supposed to be some 2way responsible whiz at center that plays 20 mins according to a few here. It's as if because he logs 20 mins, it means something. I've always said-just because he plays 20 mins doesn't mean it was 20 mins of quality play

Seems like Smith thinks breakaways should be ignored if it's a GA SMH

I like RNH and feel that if his hand was better he would be playing more like last years RNH. I cant help but wonder how bad his wrist is but for the love of Christ just get it fixed already because he is doing absolutely nothing to help this team. I also think he is tired of the losing, he said as much last year, and his mind has checked out like Taylor Hall's mind checked out in New Jersey earlier this year. It may be time to move him along but with his injury and play this year the return would be rather underwhelming. The time to have moved him would have been during the summer but this team has a knack for selling low no matter who is the GM.

I do agree that he is not this defensive wizard that the Oilers media like to build him up as. If Bergeron is the gold standard at a 10/10 I would rate RNH at about a 6. That is barely above average.

As for Mike Smith, I am done with him. He is an auto-loss when he is in net and the team plays like they know it. They get behind 2-0 on stoppable shots for the last month with him in net, they fight back only to see the next semi-difficult shot go in. I believe the team has lost confidence in him and they played like it last night.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I like RNH and feel that if his hand was better he would be playing more like last years RNH. I cant help but wonder how bad his wrist is but for the love of Christ just get it fixed already because he is doing absolutely nothing to help this team. I also think he is tired of the losing, he said as much last year, and his mind has checked out like Taylor Hall's mind checked out in New Jersey earlier this year. It may be time to move him along but with his injury and play this year the return would be rather underwhelming. The time to have moved him would have been during the summer but this team has a knack for selling low no matter who is the GM.

I do agree that he is not this defensive wizard that the Oilers media like to build him up as. If Bergeron is the gold standard at a 10/10 I would rate RNH at about a 6. That is barely above average.

As for Mike Smith, I am done with him. He is an auto-loss when he is in net and the team plays like they know it. They get behind 2-0 on stoppable shots for the last month with him in net, they fight back only to see the next semi-difficult shot go in. I believe the team has lost confidence in him and they played like it last night.

Nuge looked good last year, especially statistically, was because he played a huge chunk as McDavid's winger. His hand, IMO, has nothing to do with his garbage play because this current play is the same garbage we've see every year aside from last year and his rookie season [it was 'new' to us]. There literally is no difference with how he's approaching the game.

In the past, Oiler fans would try to rationalize and absolve him of his shortcomings because he was the best C we had and I get that. But having seen years of his game, it's no different than watching him play in Red Deer. It's just that, like I said, his junior moves no longer work. Aside from his dump ins, how many times does he try to carry the puck, do some lame shifty move only for the opposition to zone in on him and he loses possession? That's his offensive game in a nutshell. He's got a decent wrist shot but thats about the only positive I can think of in his game right now.

Smith is the new Lucic. The sooner he GTFO the team, the better

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This is essentially it.

Koski can see around 40-50 games tops. That's what it is. Meaning we need somebody else stopping rubber in other games. Mike Smith has gone Chernobyl for at least a month. Smith wasn't a good plan from the outset because he can't eat 40 games at age 38. What he is is a Vet goalie that can add some feedback, be a support, and play 20-25 games. Not 40.

We ideally have a young backstop in the mix learning from the two vets going into these games and shouldering some of the load. That this hasn't occurred is all on the org. Its on Hollland for not getting somebody else, and its on Tippett for partying with Smith likes its 2012. An older Tippett is dreaming about what an older Smith was and with an old Holland watching. Ironically the Pens win with a young Oil Kings goalie knocking it out of the park while we've got a bunch of dinosaurs in the net, and in charge.
Considering the type of contract that Holland gave him, you’d think he’d have had a backup plan in the event he wasn’t good enough anymore. That’s why I’m wondering how much longer Holland lets this go on for. I get waiting a bit and hoping Smith can find his game but it’s been going on long enough to think this is just what he is now. If you wait much longer to brink help in you start to sewer your season.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Neal could refuse to take the ice any time Klef or Nurse, and Smith are on it...

I'm jk, but it was that kind of game. Those were the bad players tonight for the most part.

Neal and Drai should refuse to take the ice with Gagne.

Gags on second line. Wow

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
Speaking of players that are shitting the bed, did Chiasson forget how to skate? He looks like a worse skater than Gagner these days.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Heard Mike Smith saying he thought he played well. 2 breakaways...2 screens. OK then, how about stopping a ****ing breakaway or two Mike? How about tracking the puck? How about not coming across so hard on the one timer that half your body is literally inside your net giving the other half to the shooter. How about not blaming your defensemen? How about stopping a ****ing puck when the team needs a ****ing save?

Delusional Prick?

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Canucks fan coming in peace. McDavid has become my second favourite (Non Canucks) player seeing him miss the playoffs again would be heart breaking:(. Hope you guys can bump this slump.

Edmonton fan speaking peacefully. I really enjoy Boeser, Petterson and Hughes, seeing them miss the playoffs would bring me more joy than you can possibly imagine.

Reactions: TB12

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010

First one is probably one that shouldn't beat him regardless of screen. If I remember correctly it went under his arm. You are told if you are screened to keep tight in your butterfly. As for the breakaways, I get it to an extent. The first one was a good move but the second he got beat early by the move.

The team needs more accountability in general but last night our goaltending did not give us a chance to win.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Speaking of players that are ****ting the bed, did Chiasson forget how to skate? He looks like a worse skater than Gagner these days.

He's always been a poor skater but it's noticeably worse this year.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He's always been a poor skater but it's noticeably worse this year.

Sucks, but giving guys that have been bouncing around their whole careers a multi-year deal probably results in this a lot. He was not great to start, but remove that contract year motivation, and he can be even worse. Same worry I have about Kassian.

Reactions: frag2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad