F Miikka Salomaki (2011, 52nd overall, Nashville)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
1 more season in the FEL and then i would guess he'll come over. He'll fit in the NA style of play very well (better than european actually). He's tenacious, quite fast, hits hard and also has some scoring touch.

Comparison to Tuomo Ruutu isn't very far off.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
with nashville and their issue scoring, with a strong camp im sure he cracks the roster (if not plays in ahl) to start the season. everything after that will be determined by how he plays, no guarenteed spots. he look rly good at the world juniors. havnt seen him since.

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland
with nashville and their issue scoring, with a strong camp im sure he cracks the roster (if not plays in ahl) to start the season. everything after that will be determined by how he plays, no guarenteed spots. he look rly good at the world juniors. havnt seen him since.

I'm 100% sure he won't play in the AHL.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
OK I have been digging around at young NHL prospects that just played in AHL this past season and I had no idea stat wise, Salomaki had such an impressive year for his rookie AHL season. 75gp. 20g. 30a. 50pts. 83pims.

Seems like he plays with some grit and can put up points. Doesn't seem like he gets talked about much. Have many people seen him play? How was he?

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
OK I have been digging around at young NHL prospects that just played in AHL this past season and I had no idea stat wise, Salomaki had such an impressive year for his rookie AHL season. 75gp. 20g. 30a. 50pts. 83pims.

Seems like he plays with some grit and can put up points. Doesn't seem like he gets talked about much. Have many people seen him play? How was he?

Haven't seen much of him, but he is definitely a work horse and gets in the corners from what i have seen. Hopefully, he can develop some offensive punch from LAvy as the new coach. Realisticly I think his ceiling is 35-45 point 3rd liner who plays PK and some PP time, and also can play top line minutes when there is an injury

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Haven't seen much of him, but he is definitely a work horse and gets in the corners from what i have seen. Hopefully, he can develop some offensive punch from LAvy as the new coach. Realisticly I think his ceiling is 35-45 point 3rd liner who plays PK and some PP time, and also can play top line minutes when there is an injury

hmmm could it be a higher total though possibly? I realize it was the AHL but he put up 50 points as a rookie in his first year in North America which is extremely impressive. I like the fact that Preds need some youth to step up and provide offense. Seems like almost every spot in the top 6 could be up for grabs seeing that nobody has really stepped up offensively since...hmmmm well ever haha ...and they have a different coach finally(nothing against Trotz but change will be good). I think some youth in Nashville will surprise a lot of people next year

BoDacious Horvat

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver

Carl Soderberg a decent comparison?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Was pretty decent in the WC with a limited role. Used to blow my mind how he managed to miss all the scoring chances playing in the WJCH team in the past (like a typical Finn). Hopefully he's learned some finishing skills while the time in the NA.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Was pretty decent in the WC with a limited role. Used to blow my mind how he managed to miss all the scoring chances playing in the WJCH team in the past (like a typical Finn). Hopefully he's learned some finishing skills while the time in the NA.

Kinda seems like he has... 20 goals in his rookie season is pretty impressive. I am excited to see what he does next year

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Kinda seems like he has... 20 goals in his rookie season is pretty impressive. I am excited to see what he does next year

Well is it 'that' impressive given that Salomäki has already done something that most AHL rookies haven't in their rookie season - played previously in a league of men. Becoming NHL third liner should still be somewhat optimistic projection.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
How does Salomaki compare with Marcus Granlund?

Salomäki is a defensively responsible and gritty player with average hockey IQ at best. MaG is a slightly undersized skill player who's a bit of a pest as well.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
does he end off the season usually with a lot of hits? I see he gets pims and people say he is pretty gritty.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
does he end off the season usually with a lot of hits? I see he gets pims and people say he is pretty gritty.

Ehhh who knows how the "hits" counter translates. I can tell you for sure that I've watched him in camp, and the kid busts his balls every time he steps on the ice. This is camp mind you but he is throwing his body around during prospect CAMP so that tells me that the kid has got a work ethic.

I see him spending most of next year in Milwaukee, but being on the short list for call ups. If he comes out torching it in Milwaukee he will make someone else expendable and I could see someone moved of the roster to make space. We should see between 5-6 new faces in Nashville over the next 2 seasons. It's something exciting to look forward to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad