F Maxim Shalunov - CSKA Moscow, KHL (2011, 109th, CHI)

pouskin74*

Maxim Shalunov (Belie Medvedi-MHL)
6.3 and 195
Season GP G A TP PIM
2009-2010 Belie Medvedi Chelyabinsk MHL 3 2 3 5 12 | Playoffs 4 6 1 7
Russia U18 WJC-18 7 3 1 4 31 |

2010/11 -MHL
4 games -7 points

Namestnikov and Khohlachev are good ones but i think that he can be even better choice at 2011 Draft. He is current leader of Team Russia (U18) alongide with Grigorenko Mihhail (2012 Draft).

Last edited by a moderator:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Why did he only play 3 regular season games? injury? Also what position? what handedness? what type of player is he?

pouskin74*

Why did he only play 3 regular season games? injury? Also what position? what handedness? what type of player is he?

he was only 16 ( MHL is only for 17-21 NB:sometimes they do make a exeptions) in last year and didnt make a MHL team , so he played in Russian U17 tournament. but he has been developed very fast and now he is one of the leaders in his club (MHL-Belie Medvedi). his position is RW.

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
But the MHL is a new league so we dont know if NHL team will pick here ... Last year no players from MHL were selected.

I think that Gogolev and Barbashev are good enought to be draft.

Same thing for Zaytsev and Marchenko ! ... !!

So maybe that the NHL team will be scared to pick a guy in the MHL ... But if he play some games in the KHL he will earn some points ... I hope !

It was the same thing with the Vyshaya Liga (RUS-3) ...

Just Alexander Avtsin ... But Grudakov and Valerko did very well in 2007-2008 ... and same thing for Stanislav Bocharov, Oleg Yashin, Nikita Dvurechensky and Daniil Sobchenko in 2008-2009 !! They are all VERY good !! ...

We will see !

pouskin74*

But the MHL is a new league so we dont know if NHL team will pick here ... Last year no players from MHL were selected.

I think that Gogolev and Barbashev are good enought to be draft.

Same thing for Zaytsev and Marchenko ! ... !!

So maybe that the NHL team will be scared to pick a guy in the MHL ... But if he play some games in the KHL he will earn some points ... I hope !

It was the same thing with the Vyshaya Liga (RUS-3) ...

Just Alexander Avtsin ... But Grudakov and Valerko did very well in 2007-2008 ... and same thing for Stanislav Bocharov, Oleg Yashin, Nikita Dvurechensky and Daniil Sobchenko in 2008-2009 !! They are all VERY good !! ...

We will see !

there is no question , he needs to be solid at international tournaments either and so far he has been good in there too.

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
How does he compare to draft-eligible Russians (ie. Namestnikov and Khokhlachev) playing in North America?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Did he actually play with the Russian U18 team at the Jr. A Challenge? He's listed on the roster with four games played but no points.

Violent By Design

Jan 26, 2010
Nova Scotia
I've been hoping he is ranked late 1st round - early 2nd so Pittsburgh has a shot at him, doubt Shero would take him though. He has the size already and will only get stronger, not to mention a good skill set, and he is a RW which is our weakest position.

He is the #1 Russian in the NHL central scouting on their 1st report for 2011.

Fulcrum

He's certainly talented, however from watching him play:

He thrives on flying down the right wing with the puck, cutting across to the middle and either beating the defender or taking a strong wrister. That's all great, except it rarely worked for him in the games I watched, and he caused a lot of turnovers. His passes were questionable at best, and he over-handled the puck more than once. He suffered from low production in the recent U-18 tourny because of that...

But he is only 17 and has time to improve. Stats are good, but not great and after watching a couple of games, let's just say he has room for improvement. But his upside is very good.

DuckshaveaRPG

Mar 9, 2011
London
Maxim Shalunov

Maxim Shalunov hockeysfuture has him as falling and say this about him

"Shalunov has proven to be a very Jekyll and Hyde type of player all year long. Away from the puck and in his own end he can seem as lazy and as disinterested as a player could be which is a major concern when gauging his potential for the next level. He still shows frustration when his teammates don't complete a play and displays other cancerous traits and at this point his skill comes with a serious asterisk, so teams need to be aware of what they sign up for if they want this dangerous offensive weapon in their arsenal."

those anybody have any more info on this guy im think he maybe a good sleeper pick or maybe a gem from the later rounds ?

DuckshaveaRPG

Mar 9, 2011
London
they also said this before they decided his value had dropped

"tradition dictates, the top players coming from Russia for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft is a forward, Maxim Shalunov. The 17-year-old right winger possesses a very nice set of skills including a strong shot and undeniable skating abilities that allow him to be a dangerous player whenever he touches the ice. His impressive combination of size and speed makes him a tough player to deal with. That also means that his game could translate with relative ease to the North American ice surface and different style. This summer Shalunov has been one of the few bright spots for Team Russia at the Ivan Hlinka tournament. He contributed with two goals and one assist to Team Russia's final fifth place. Shalunov has what it takes to play a top-six role in the NHL one day, but he needs to have a good U18 WJC in April to be drafted high"

Fulcrum

Having watched 3 games at U-18 + last year's U-18 + games with his home team:

-Dissapointing progress the year
-He is currently a step-down from Kucherov, Yakupov, Grigorenko
-Bad Habits that I saw earlier have evolved, and I can confirm that he is pretty lazy and disinterested in this tournament
-Many of his Solo "Rushes" end up with lost posession due to not working through the play, lack of creativity- 16 year old moves won't work at this level and he hasn't progressed.

He scored a pretty nice goal on a breakaway and he certainly has potential. Still, I am disappointed with his year and his GAME. My proof are his stats: GP 44 P 43. Compared to Kucherov, for example GP 51 P71.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Those stats mean nothing, CSKA has many leading scorers + Kucherov plays with Gusev on PP who is MHL points leader. CSKA is a stacked team so its hard to compare stats from players from different teams.

I have been busy with my studies so I have not been able to watch the tourny yet so I cannot comment on your viewings, but I would like to ask you... Is Shalunov not playing with Grigorenko and Kucherov. Maybe this factors into his production?.... Also I want to ask of Kuvayev, he has not scored points yet. Some scouts think he has Dynamic talent, he was just relegated to 4th line minutes half way thru the year. What has he looked like there.

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Is Shalunov not playing with Grigorenko and Kucherov. Maybe this factors into his production?.
No he is not, Maxim played last game with Ivanyuzhenkov and Tkachev

First line is Kucherov-Grigorenko-Yakupov they score the most of the goal for the team

Fulcrum

Rightfully so, Shalunov doesn't necessiraly deserve to play on the top line.

After 3 games in the tourny, the best way to describe his game is Selfish and Sloppy.

Kuvaev has been as visible as Ivanyuzhenkov. Who is that, you ask?? - exactly.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
He's finally turning things around. He was pretty good last season but now he's looking like one the best KHL forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad