Confirmed Signing with Link: F Max Comtois signs AHL deal with the Chicago Wolves

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I didn't see much of him play last year (or at all this pre-season). Has he really fallen off that hard?

I assumed some team would offer him a 1 year league minimum deal and pass him through waivers. Assumed he would be a a potential option for a call-up later in the year if he showed well.

Of course, any team can still do that with him being on an AHL deal.

Reactions: bh53

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I didn't see much of him play last year (or at all this pre-season). Has he really fallen off that hard?

I assumed some team would offer him a 1 year league minimum deal and pass him through waivers. Assumed he would be a a potential option for a call-up later in the year if he showed well.

Yeah he sucks pretty bad at this point. The Ducks were the worst team last year and he wasn’t good enough to regularly crack our lineup. That said he’s good enough to be worthy of a 2 way contract, but I wouldn’t be shocked if the Wolves are giving him a bigger number than any 2-way guarantee he was being offered

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

It's the work ethic (or lack of) and getting away from what worked his rookie season. In theory, he should be the prefect 3rd wheel for either of the Ducks top 2 lines... big body, good shot, knew where to go to score. After that season, he's never really gotten in shape and got away from what was working.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
How was he during the preseason for Vegas?

He's quickly running out of runway (if he hasn't already) to prove he's worth more than a minimum contract. But that's his play here.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Definitely has to be a big "come to jesus" moment for him. Zero offers, settling for an AHL deal. Have to think he needs to put up a monster year in the AHL, and take the offseason to really gear up and come into camp with someone absolutely flying next fall. He's probably only got one more shot left in the the chamber, before he's dumped off to Europe. Will be really interesting to see if he makes anything of it. As well as just...what his work ethic and effort level looks like in his AHL penance this year. Whether he goes and plays with some fire and a chip on his shoulder, or just pouts and mails it in until he can try to take his last run at an NHL gig next summer.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
But why join Chicago though?

I wouldn't want anything to do with that organization esp. consider how the big club in the Hawks treats players and people. Everything starts from the top and since it's shit at the top eventually that stuff settles down to the lower affiliates. Maybe youre desperate but Just a bad choice, Maxime.

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria

I wouldn't want anything to do with that organization esp. consider how the big club in the Hawks treats players and people. Everything starts from the top and since it's shit at the top eventually that stuff settles down to the lower affiliates. Maybe youre desperate but Just a bad choice, Maxime.
Chicago Wolves are completely independent of any NHL team right now. Rockford IceHogs are the Blackhawks AHL affiliate iirc

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Wtf are you talking about? They aren't affiliated with the Hawks.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

They probably pay more than other AHL teams as they want to win and aren't worried about developing anyone.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

This post is embarrassing. The Chicago Wolves are not affiliated in any way with the Chicago Blackhawks.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
How was he during the preseason for Vegas?

He's quickly running out of runway (if he hasn't already) to prove he's worth more than a minimum contract. But that's his play here.
Outclassed by Paul Cotter and Pavel Dorofeyev (as the two guys fighting for Reilly Smith's vacancy). Quite handily. I'd argue Brendan Brisson looked better and Brisson can't crack the NHL currently.

Comtois never had a real shot of making Vegas. He couldn't hang with Anaheim.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
May be the type of kid that has to change up his game to be an NHLer. Obviously, not productive enough to play in the top 6 but he is a big kid, so maybe he can adapt to more of a "bottom 6" game

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Should of checked who the affiliates were before posting.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
They probably pay more than other AHL teams as they want to win and aren't worried about developing anyone.
Also, I think if Comtois is going to carve out an NHL career, he's gonna have to learn to play the "hard minutes" protecting leads, killing penalties etc and NHL teams are probably going to want their AHL affiliates to play their own prospects in these scenarios, whereas the unaffiliated Wolves might use Comtois in these spots due to his NHL experience

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad