F Matěj Pekař - Ambrì-Piotta U17, U17 Elit (2025 draft)

czech

Feb 23, 2009
Last season, Pekař played for the weak club Ambrì-Piotta and became the club's top scorer, being one of the youngest in the team. He also helped his team maintain their place in the elite league in play-out games.
At the moment, Pekař is playing excellently at the Five Nations Tournament, which takes place in the Czech city of Chomutov. In the last two matches, the player scored 8 (!) points (goal, great pass). Today, thanks to Pekař's hat-trick (+assist) against strong Americans (7:4), the Czech team won the tournament ahead of schedule.
Pekař is another strong name among Czech strikers in '07, along with Benák, Pavlík, Poletín and Bartovič.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Silver at U20... Silver at hlinka... This U17 has some promise too. Something is finally clicking at the junior level in Czech hockey!

Reactions: czech

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Another Matej Pekar? Are these common first names and surnames?
Matej is common, Pekar less so, but not that rare either.

Talented player, very curious to follow his progress this upcoming season. Makes me feel old though, I remember being excited for the Buffalo prospect Pekar in his U17 season and they are 7 years apart...

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Has anyone seen him this year?? Has amazing stats internationally but not as good in Swiss leagues.
I have no idea how Swiss U-17 compares to Czech. Similar? Better? Worse?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Downright spectacular playoffs so far. Small sample size but if he can keep this up he's gonna go pretty early in next year's draft. Played on Ambri's U17 team this season but was helping out the U20 team occasionally. Joined the U20 team for game 2 of the best of 5 series vs Kloten. Kloten was huge favourite. Loaded team, finishing season in 2nd place. Also receiving very strong reinforcements with pro experience (Ramel, R.Meier, Deussen) earlier because their NL team's season ended earlier than Ambri's who only received William Hedlund, the import of their SL farm. Ambri still won the series and now won game 1 vs Zug as well, the team that dominated the regular season. I'll provide some numbers to give you an idea of how big of an upset those results are. Ambri finished the 48 games regular season with 70 points. Kloten had 91, Zug 101.

Now back to Pekar. Like I said he didn't play game 1 vs Kloten but he did score 4 points in 3 playoff games after cracking the lineup. He did all of this as a 13th forward and, to put this in perspective, while also being pretty much the youngest player taking part in this league's playoffs. Davos' Aebli is just a few days younger but his team lost their quarterfinal. All other 07 borns involved in the playoffs are at least half a year older and there's just a handful of them anyway. Pekar also kept his place as 13th forward when Ambri's NL team lost to their local rivals of Lugano and reassigned Tommaso De Luca and Simone Terraneo to their U20 team. In fact, Pekar even added another primary assist in game 1 of the playoff semifinal. Game 2 is today. With a 1-0 series lead, De Luca and Terraneo reinforcing the team and perhaps more heroics from Pekar I think Ambri has a chance to complete the 2nd upset in a row and eliminate Zug.

This guys is really uncanny .. he barely has any points in Swiss U20, yet in the national team he is 17+19 (36) in 23games lol

I wouldn't read too much into that. The Swiss U20 elite league may be a significantly worse junior league than CHL leagues or the Swedish J20 but it's still similar or better than all other junior leagues of this world. Also, since two years I believe, teams are allowed to dress four overagers each game and therefore the name u20 elite became a bit misleading when it's in fact an U22 elite league now. This season is the one of the 04 borns but like I explained, teams are allowed to dress four 02 borns as well. Pekar is a rather smallish late born 07 kid, barely eligible for the 2025 draft. He's a 16yo playing against opponents partly almost six years older than him. Based on that I'd say he has exceeded expectations, really. Also, his season does display a steep learning curve. If he can keep this up he could be dominating the league next season, maybe even get a taste of pro hockey on Ambri's SL farmteam though for financial reasons it's still unclear if it's still gonna be there next season with the SCL Tigers no longer willing to continue the cooperation with Ambri on that matter. Pekar could always get loaned to a different SL team though or get looks on Ambri's NL squad should they have to withdraw their farm from the SL.

Last edited:

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Downright spectacular playoffs so far. Small sample size but if he can keep this up he's gonna go pretty early in next year's draft. Played on Ambri's U17 team this season but was helping out the U20 team occasionally. Joined the U20 team for game 2 of the best of 5 series vs Kloten. Kloten was huge favourite. Loaded team, finishing season in 2nd place. Also receiving very strong reinforcements with pro experience (Ramel, R.Meier, Deussen) earlier because their NL team's season ended earlier than Ambri's who only received William Hedlund, the import of their SL farm. Ambri still won the series and now won game 1 vs Zug as well, the team that dominated the regular season. I'll provide some numbers to give you an idea of how big of an upset those results are. Ambri finished the 48 games regular season with 70 points. Kloten had 91, Zug 101.

Now back to Pekar. Like I said he didn't play game 1 vs Kloten but he did score 4 points in 3 playoff games after cracking the lineup. He did all of this as a 13th forward and, to put this in perspective, while also being pretty much the youngest player taking part in this league's playoffs. Davos' Aebli is just a few days younger but his team lost their quarterfinal. All other 07 borns involved in the playoffs are at least half a year older and there's just a handful of them anyway. Pekar also kept his place as 13th forward when Ambri's NL team lost to their local rivals of Lugano and reassigned Tommaso De Luca and Simone Terraneo to their U20 team. In fact, Pekar even added another primary assist in game 1 of the playoff semifinal. Game 2 is today. With a 1-0 series lead, De Luca and Terraneo reinforcing the team and perhaps more heroics from Pekar I think Ambri has a chance to complete the 2nd upset in a row and eliminate Zug.

I wouldn't read too much into that. The Swiss U20 elite league may not be a very good junior league compared to CHL or Swedish J20 but it's still similar or better than all other junior leagues in the world. Also, since two years I believe, teams are allowed to dress four overagers each game and therefore the name u20 elite became a bit misleading when it's in fact an U22 elite league now. This season is the one of the 04 borns but like I explained, teams are allowed to dress four 02 borns as well. Pekar is a rather smallish late born 07 kid, barely eligible for the 2025 draft. He's a 16yo playing against opponents partly almost six years older than him. Based on that I'd say he has exceeded expectations, really. Also, his season does display a steep learning curve. If he can keep this up he could be dominating the league next season, maybe even get a taste of pro hockey on Ambri's SL farmteam though for financial reasons it's still unclear if it's still gonna be there next season with the SCL Tigers no longer willing to continue the cooperation with Ambri on that matter. Pekar could always get loaned to a different SL team though or get looks on Ambri's NL should they have to withdraw their farm from the SL.
Thanks for this post. It really gives me a lot of insignt also how the Swiss youth league works, didnt know that at all.

Thats an optimistic write and hopefully we will see him at U18 WCH in April. I definitely have him in my lineup 100%. He is an absolute beast in NT and dominating in his age group.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Thanks for this post. It really gives me a lot of insignt also how the Swiss youth league works, didnt know that at all.

Thats an optimistic write and hopefully we will see him at U18 WCH in April. I definitely have him in my lineup 100%. He is an absolute beast in NT and dominating in his age group.

Yeah. Always difficult to predict the future, development sometimes isn't linear. Having said that, Pekar is playing an excellent season, both at club and international level. His U20 elite scoring you initially criticized is actually very good. Compared to that, his U17 elite scoring is pretty pedestrian but the Ambri U17 elite team, unlike their U20 team, also wasn't really competitive this season. So that somewhat explains Pekar's underwhelming scoring output there. I think there are only two comparable 07 born forwards (Lars Steiner and Florian Schenk) currently playing junior hockey in Switzerland. Always a good sign when you're clearly better than your peers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad