F Mark Hillier - St. Andrew's College, CISAA (2020 draft)

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Scored more points in his grade 11 season then when Morgan Barron did Grad12+1 year. Commited to Merrick College in hockey east. Is he a prospect for the draft? Mark Hillier at eliteprospects.com Former Western Kings star Mark Hillier commits to Merrimack College for 2020 | The Telegram
He's been doing really well (14 goals in 15 games), definitely someone I'm watching this year but who knows for the draft. Prep guys usually have to really dominate to get love from the NHL, they play a mixed schedule with some weaker teams and some more traditionally strong teams. Be interested to see if he dominates in this thing called the "True Prep Cup" just after the new year where they'll play like Kimball Union and some other top teams. I interviewed his coach earlier in the year and he was the first guy he mentioned: Interview with St. Andrew's College Head Coach David Manning

Reactions: BKarchitect

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
He's been doing really well (14 goals in 15 games), definitely someone I'm watching this year but who knows for the draft. Prep guys usually have to really dominate to get love from the NHL, they play a mixed schedule with some weaker teams and some more traditionally strong teams. Be interested to see if he dominates in this thing called the "True Prep Cup" just after the new year where they'll play like Kimball Union and some other top teams. I interviewed his coach earlier in the year and he was the first guy he mentioned: Interview with St. Andrew's College Head Coach David Manning

That’s cool - Manning is my old coach so I’ll be sure to check the interview out.

We used to drive him up the wall, but he’s a great guy - seems like his Newfie accent has mellowed out a bit over the years

Reactions: tealhockey

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
That’s cool - Manning is my old coach so I’ll be sure to check the interview out.

We used to drive him up the wall, but he’s a great guy - seems like his Newfie accent has mellowed out a bit over the years
Great guy for sure and done a great job, always has a pretty deep and talented group. I believe kids with St. Andrew's ties have been drafted in each of the last five drafts at least

Reactions: covfefe

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Oh **** im sorry man im baked af rn and thought you meant hillier.
Hillier is as well, though I know you know he's from Labrador.

2015-16
3.png
Western Bantam AAA
NLBAAAHL172350 |
2016-17
3.png
Western Bantam AAA “C”
NLBAAAHL2830295930 |Playoffs46172
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
I’m from the area where he played his AAA hockey so it’s interesting to see how far he’s gone. Does anyone know where he’s playing next year? Still with St. Andrew’s?

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I’m from the area where he played his AAA hockey so it’s interesting to see how far he’s gone. Does anyone know where he’s playing next year? Still with St. Andrew’s?

Speculating, but my money is on the BCHL, most high-end SAC kids end up there if they aren't going straight to D1

Reactions: Sens72

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
91 pts in 48 games.
His season actually just wrapped up this weekend as SAC won the NISIC (National Independent School Invitational Championship) and Hillier was named MVP with 7+8 in the five game tournament.
His final statline should end up 56GP 52-60-112, but I’ll wait for the school to update their stats page before updating EP.

It still amuses me that NHL CS has him ranked as undrafted and below two kids on his own team.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Saw that the Morgan Barron thread was bumped and realized he was drafted out of SAC in his first year of eligibility. Hillier has put up better numbers than Barron did in his draft year, and Barron has gone on to play very well for Cornell. This is purely stat-based but that probably puts Hillier at a decent chance at getting drafted? I would love for someone with knowledge of hockey at SAC to chime in, sounds like he could be a late-round gem.

Reactions: Newfoundland

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Saw that the Morgan Barron thread was bumped and realized he was drafted out of SAC in his first year of eligibility. Hillier has put up better numbers than Barron did in his draft year, and Barron has gone on to play very well for Cornell. This is purely stat-based but that probably puts Hillier at a decent chance at getting drafted? I would love for someone with knowledge of hockey at SAC to chime in, sounds like he could be a late-round gem.
I interviewed his coach who would know better than anyone (Prep Hockey Podcast Ep. 03: David Manning, Head Coach of St. Andrew's College) -- go to 15 minutes in for some comments on his game, but he highlighted his pace, vision, work ethic, skill/playmaking

Reactions: Newfoundland

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This kid needs more attention.

Solid years leading up to his draft year, matching and passing recent SAC draftees Baron and Stienberg, and then this year he, as captain, smashes the all-time scoring record for CAHS ( 213 versus the previous 182 points) and was nearly ~1GPG and ~2PPG this season. He broke Warren Foegele's season points scoring record for the school this year too.

He'll be going to the BCHL (with his teammate who stood out in his own right, Cole Galata), and then off to NCAA, so he's got plenty of time to develop too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad