F Marek Hrivik (2008 undrafted; 2012 signed, NYR)

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Does anyone have info on this guy? Any idea why he was passed over in the NHL Draft?

Slovakiaforever posted these links about Hrivik elsewhere in response to the same question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whayYVNjafE

http://www.szlh.sk/statistiky/c-090000_l-214/i-action!61team!95data!38tea!95id!61404

-he lead HK Orange 20 in goals and points this past season. Scored eight goals playing against men. Played on the Slovak WJCU20 team and was one of the youngest players in the tournament; scored the GWG in Slovakia's win over Latvia.

-has goal scorer's instinct and has some size.

-he was probably the one Slovak player not drafted to the NHL this year that I thought should have been (with perhaps apologies to Andrej Stastny, and Juraj Valach).

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I've been looking for answers on this question, as well. All-out sniper potential, with a decent sized body. I just don't get it. Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
I've been looking for answers on this question, as well. All-out sniper potential, with a decent sized body. I just don't get it. Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Personally I would not select him but still a bit surprised nobody picked him up as late round pick. Average skater with slow first steps and hardly average agility. Lacks really soft hands, decent passing touch but has trouble to handle the puck in speed at times and no ability to to beat D off the rush. Solid scoring touch and hockey sense, solid defensively.

The Fuhr*

Marek Hrivik has come alive

Went undrafted in the NHL last year so decided to come to the QMJHL to increase his stock.

His got snubbed for Slovakia at the world juniors and has gone off the last 13 games where he has picked up 10 goals and 20 points.

He now has played 43 games has 18 goals and 40 points on the season, within one of the rookie lead.

I wonder where he will get drafted this year.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

slovaks generally don't get drafted high I've noticed. I'm not sure though since I've never heard of the guy.

Number13

May 21, 2007
He is really having a mosnter playoffs so far for Moncton.

He leads all QMJHL rookies in playoff scoring with 9 points in 4 games.

Will he get drafted this year? If so, where? Seems like he has a lot of potential.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
He is really having a mosnter playoffs so far for Moncton.

He leads all QMJHL rookies in playoff scoring with 9 points in 4 games.

Will he get drafted this year? If so, where? Seems like he has a lot of potential.

Well, he still must learn some of the finer things of Canadian hckey - just as cycling and playing without the puck - but , oh my, he has that shot. I remember going to see Moncton the last game of the season against Saint John (No 1 in the Q) and somebody scored for Moncton at the the other end. It happened so fast it was a blur but that sound "It was the sound of an NHL goal" and the scorer was none other than our friend Mr. Marek Hrivik.

The point of this is Mr. Hrivik has some NHL attributes; if he can work on some of the other areas he can be a 2nd line or above kinda guy = worth a 2nd round pick on someone who believes!!! The Q is, are U a believer????

Mountainside

Oct 25, 2009
I posted this in the Kabanov thread after being asked, but it's lost in there now so I will post it here for anyone interested in Hrivik:

He's looked really good to be honest. Moncton's unsung Euro this year if you will. He is listed at like 6'1 185 but looks much bigger than that. Plays a very NA game I find. Not a big hitter, but finishes his checks, plays good two way hockey, not a liability in his own end. Bit of a weird skater, but gets from point A to point B pretty quickly for a bigger man. Solid shot, excellent release.. I would agree with the guy before, certainly an NHL caliber shot. Hard slap shot too as anyone who saw him blast one home on Sportsnet last week can attest to.

Basically it seems to come down to confidence with him. When he's on, he drives the net hard and he protects the puck well, and can really stand out (hence his nice point totals lately). When he's not driving he doesn't contribute much.. but at least he plays good 2way for a euro(although many Slovaks do), so he doesn't hurt you really even when not on his game.

He was passed over last year, which is part of the reason he came over to NA.. But if I was an NHL team I would be looking at taking him anywhere between the late 2nd-4th rounds. If he can consistently keep playing aggressive and drive hard to the net he can be a good player. Mind-boggling to me that he didn't crack the Slovak U-20 roster.

A really nice guy, good personality, fits in extremely well with the team, just loves to play hockey. Started the year on the third line and worked his way up with good play and now plays on the 1st with the leagues leading point getter (tied). A very baggage free player.

Point totals:

Season: 66gp 26G-29A-55pts
Playoffs: 4gp 2G-6A-9pts

Mountainside

Oct 25, 2009
A nice article about Hrivik and a little on Kabanov:

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/sports/article/1000998

One really tell-tale quote from him:

"It's a pretty good feeling, but in the playoffs you have to put the personal stuff on the side," said Hrivik in reference to him registering 10 points in five games in the opening round.

"I'm just trying to do everything to help the team win. Every game in the playoffs is so much more intense than the regular season. I like the pressure of the playoffs. It's harder battles.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
Well, he still must learn some of the finer things of Canadian hckey - just as cycling and playing without the puck - but , oh my, he has that shot. I remember going to see Moncton the last game of the season against Saint John (No 1 in the Q) and somebody scored for Moncton at the the other end. It happened so fast it was a blur but that sound "It was the sound of an NHL goal" and the scorer was none other than our friend Mr. Marek Hrivik.

The point of this is Mr. Hrivik has some NHL attributes; if he can work on some of the other areas he can be a 2nd line or above kinda guy = worth a 2nd round pick on someone who believes!!! The Q is, are U a believer????

hrivik has looked great in the playoffs so far and yes the guy has a sick shot

The Fuhr*

Playoffs
21GP 17Pts (3rd among rookies)
1st in assists (among rookies)
1st in +/- (among rookies)

member 30781

You still think he will go high in this draft? Like 2nd or 3rd round?

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
You still think he will go high in this draft? Like 2nd or 3rd round?

Probably not IMO. Hopefully somebody has seen what he's capable of, though. The kid deserves a contract/team to hold his rights for his commitment to coming over seas, improving some skating issues, and showing off his offensive talent, with a consistent playoff performance.

BennyBST

Apr 16, 2007
Fairfield CT
I say he will go in either the 4th or 5th round, i'm hoping the Islanders draft him, I think he is really underrated and has had a solid season. More scouts will get to see him with the Memorial Cup.

LuckyLuke87

May 11, 2010
Prague
I see him going in 4th round too... Unfortunately, in fantasy keeper leauge i'm playing he gets a lot more attention. I'm afraid, that I will be forced to use one of my two 2nd round picks on him...I'm not sure he's worth it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad