F Marek Hejduk - USNTDP U17 (2022 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm sorry to disappoint everyone, but he's not particularly good. I don't see much he does that really could be viewed as a standout tool. He's the clear 13th forward on his team. I'd preliminarily peg him as one of two guys from the U17 NTDP that probably will not be drafted next year. Doesn't mean he's a terrible player or can't improve, but I would not be expecting anywhere near a similar career to his father.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kid is doing pretty good on the U18 team so far... has anyone had a chance to see him play?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Kid is doing pretty good on the U18 team so far... has anyone had a chance to see him play?

Also curious as to if he’s improved this season. Nothing eye popping statistically but seems to be having a decent season . Anyone can comment on his recent play?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Also curious as to if he’s improved this season. Nothing eye popping statistically but seems to be having a decent season . Anyone can comment on his recent play?

Not much. Grinder type of winger without any great skills. Could potentially be a fourth liner in the NHL. He could be drafted, but he's the worst player on the team, in my opinion. That doesn't mean he's a bad player either. On many junior teams he'd be the best player or one of the best.

He's getting a bigger role this season, but I find that the NTDP in recent seasons tends to try to push the lesser players on the team into bigger roles in their U18 seasons because they want everyone to be drafted. I think this strategy sets a bad example. I'm even a fan of some of these lower line players like Snuggerud and Spicer, but seeing the PP run in a way where they are trying to set up Snuggerud for one timers, a player that shouldn't even be on the PP, is blatant in the strategy.

These guys all know what they signed up for. It's a competitive team, and the best guys should be playing the most. They are trying to win games, even though it's a development program. I'm not going to say I know what happened with Fleming, but to me thats a great example of some of the coaching I haven't liked the last few years. Maybe there was a separate issue there, but clearly the kid was more talented than numerous guys getting better ice-time, line-mates, situations than him for over a year. You can't put that all on the kid. There needs to be some accountability for why a player like that is leaving having been a fourth liner/13F for two years, while the grinders are getting PP time to help their draft positions. People can laugh at what @GeorgeLeafer12 has said about the coaching, but in a way he's right. It's been really sub-standard in recent seasons. The padding of stats for players like Hejduk is part of the problem, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: wings5

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00