F Marcus Kallionkieli - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2019, 139th, VGK)

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
1+2 yesterday, now leading all the rookies with 11+7 in 13 games. He has played a couple games less than almost all the others. He has clearly the highest PPG among rookies.

Very impressive.

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
1+2 yesterday, now leading all the rookies with 11+7 in 13 games. He has played a couple games less than almost all the others. He has clearly the highest PPG among rookies.

Very impressive.
Damn, he might sneak into the first round at this rate.

That Pospisil guy and Bobby Brink seem to be doing hot too. Anyone know where Brink is projected to go if he continues at this rate?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yes, Brink would be somewhere around the 20's in the first round, but so far I've liked what I've seen from Kallionkieli instead. He has superior size and reads the game better offencively. If Brink would go in the 20s, then Marcus should go in the mid to later teens.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Yes, Brink would be somewhere around the 20's in the first round, but so far I've liked what I've seen from Kallionkieli instead. He has superior size and reads the game better offencively. If Brink would go in the 20s, then Marcus should go in the mid to later teens.
I have Kallionkieli over Brink as well right now, don’t know why Brink gets so much hype lately but Kallionkieli doesnt

Reactions: Habs76 and S E P H

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
15_kallionkieli,_marcus_2018-10-01.jpg

He looks like that really good Brazilian footballer, but i can't remember his name.
- maybe they are related?

Reactions: Habs76

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Kallionkieli = Rock's tongue/Rock's language/(Solid) Rock's shelf

Last meaning is likely how it should be red.

Kallio = rock, solid rock
Kieli = language, tongue, string, speech, idiom, clapper

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
More like a more handsome version of the Brazilian Ronaldo, not the Portuguese Ronaldo, although there's a little likeness there as well. If Kallionkieli has a touch of that kind of talent he definitely is a sleeper pick :p

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
I have Kallionkieli over Brink as well right now, don’t know why Brink gets so much hype lately but Kallionkieli doesnt
Kallionkieli has a shooting percentage of 27.4%, which is unsustainable, though at 25.5%, Brink's shooting percentage presents a similar problem. Maybe scouts are waiting for one of Sioux City's big three to get injured for a stretch and see how the other two do without him. The other thing that may concern scouts is Kallionkieli's progression. Last year he was well-below a point per game, not in Finland's highest junior league, but in the B juniors( the top under-18 league), only playing a few games in the Nuorten SM-Liiga, and now he's putting up amazing numbers in the fourth-best junior league on the planet. That's some pretty rapid development over the course of the summer. I don't think I've ever heard of anything quite like it. How much of it is due to playing with two very good players?

It's not unprecedented for a player to transition well from the Finnish B juniors league to North America. Aleksi Heponiemi did it in his first year in Swift Current. But unlike Kallionkieli, he dominated the B-juniors the year before, scoring at over twice the rate Kallionkieli did at the same age. Maybe scouts and ranking organizations are being cautious with Kallionkieli, waiting to see if he ever comes back down to earth.

All of the above isn't to say I agree with Kallionkieli being ranked as low as he is in many places, just some guesses as to the reasoning. Also, is there any indication about his plans for next year? You'd think that NCAA programs would be beating a path to his door at this point.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Kallionkieli has a shooting percentage of 27.4%, which is unsustainable, though at 25.5%, Brink's shooting percentage presents a similar problem. Maybe scouts are waiting for one of Sioux City's big three to get injured for a stretch and see how the other two do without him. The other thing that may concern scouts is Kallionkieli's progression. Last year he was well-below a point per game, not in Finland's highest junior league, but in the B juniors( the top under-18 league), only playing a few games in the Nuorten SM-Liiga, and now he's putting up amazing numbers in the fourth-best junior league on the planet. That's some pretty rapid development over the course of the summer. I don't think I've ever heard of anything quite like it. How much of it is due to playing with two very good players?

It's not unprecedented for a player to transition well from the Finnish B juniors league to North America. Aleksi Heponiemi did it in his first year in Swift Current. But unlike Kallionkieli, he dominated the B-juniors the year before, scoring at over twice the rate Kallionkieli did at the same age. Maybe scouts and ranking organizations are being cautious with Kallionkieli, waiting to see if he ever comes back down to earth.

All of the above isn't to say I agree with Kallionkieli being ranked as low as he is in many places, just some guesses as to the reasoning. Also, is there any indication about his plans for next year? You'd think that NCAA programs would be beating a path to his door at this point.
What does your average S% of highly rated prospects in USHL look like?

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
I don't know the exact number but probably in the mid-teens. If you look at the shooting percentages for the Team USA guys, they vary a lot because those guys play no more than 20-25 USHL games in their u18 year so the small sample size spreads things out a lot more. For example, Matthews shot 20% and Eichel 21% in their draft-1 USHL seasons(they aged out of the US-NTDP during their draft year due to late birthdays). For forwards who played a large number of games we get the following if we go back as far as 2015:

Andrei Svechnikov: 18.2% in 48 games played (in his draft-1 season)
Shane Bowers: 13.6% in 60
Eeli Tolvanen: 12.2%in 52
Kyle Connor 13.6% in 56
Brock Boeser 14.5% in 57

Also, in the 2016-17 season, the average shooting percentage among the top 60 USHL point producers was 13.1%(though this includes a number of D-men).

Reactions: Paul Maurice

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018

I think Brink gets more hype because he works, the rare occasions he isn't on the score sheet he finds a way to contribute, not the case with Kallionkieli. he can come and go, Brink you notice ever shift! just one guys opinion.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Last year he was well-below a point per game, not in Finland's highest junior league, but in the B juniors( the top under-18 league), only playing a few games in the Nuorten SM-Liiga, and now he's putting up amazing numbers in the fourth-best junior league on the planet.

Your point is valid about his progression but I'd have the USHL below the MHL, and the J20 Elitserien, maybe slightly ahead of Jr.A SM-Liiga.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Your point is valid about his progression but I'd have the USHL below the MHL, and the J20 Elitserien, maybe slightly ahead of Jr.A SM-Liiga.
Is there a chance that Kallionkieli will make the World Juniors if not Vesalainen and Tolvanen comes?

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Does anyone have any more info on him? Is he still thinking the NCAA route?, going back to Finland?, etc.?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Does anyone have any more info on him? Is he still thinking the NCAA route?, going back to Finland?, etc.?

I'd like to know this as well ,where he will be playing playing next year. Does anyone know?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is he eligible for the CHL import draft this year despite playing a year in the USHL?

Trav

Aug 2, 2005
Brandon Wheat Kings picked him today in the CHL Import Draft. Helps Brandon since McCrimmon is the owner lol. See if he reports

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad