F Marcel Barinka - HC Vítkovice, Czechia (2019 undrafted)

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Central Scouting put him as an Undraftee. If he were to gain some weight and play for a team willing to play him a full season maybe he had potential but other then that, that’s pretty dissapointing. Not sure if he’ll still commit to Halifax next season or not. He had a pretty decent start to the season but he just slowly didn’t become as good. Oh well let’s see what the future holds I guess!

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Moosehead's season ticket holder here: I wouldn't draft him. There's potential there but at the same time there's definitely something off. The Moose have been CRIPPLED with injuries—I mean whole lines missing—and still he was scratched. In the playoffs we're playing our 8th D on the fourth line and scratching Barinka. Something just doesn't add up about the kid; he never lit it up but there were flashes of skill, and he could definitely do better than our 8th D. Stay away for now.
Seems like he has never had the trust of the coaches. Thought he had a few good games late in the season and started playing a bit more aggressively. He should have been given at least one game this playoffs, as I didn’t see a whole lot from Toner or Sansfacon when playing Forward. Maybe they were just looking for someone who can fill multiple roles and play a simple game. Anyway, will be interesting to watch him at u18 and if he comes back he should have plenty of ice time next season.

Reactions: EnglishJet

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Seemed like more of the same this year. Any interest for the 2020 NHL Draft?
No. He seems to have this mental block where he doesn’t think the opposition is trying to score. Won’t take a body and won’t tie up a stick. I jokingly called his line with Senna Peeters and Sam Dube the minus line. He had numerous breakaways this year where he would just stop and look for for a teammate to pass the puck off. Nice kid but I’m not sure if winning or losing really matters. As long as he’s playing he seems happy. He was a much better player on the road than he was playing in Halifax.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Now playing in Germany. Any news/updates?

Has he been confirmed for the U20 WJC or will he be with Kolner Haie when the DEL season starts?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Got off to a slow start in the DEL but offensive numbers improved when he returned to play for Vitkovice in the Czech Extraliga.

Any chance he skates for the Czech Republic in the WC and any reason to think there is NHL potential in his game?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Got off to a slow start in the DEL but offensive numbers improved when he returned to play for Vitkovice in the Czech Extraliga.

Any chance he skates for the Czech Republic in the WC and any reason to think there is NHL potential in his game?
He turned down the NT when called upon. Hoping to never see his name on a Czech jersey to be honest. His Dad was a realy controversial selection for the Czechs at the 2014 Olympics too! You see, his Dad is married to the then coaches (now presdidents) daught - Alois Hadamczak and the nepotism was blatant. Now we go the grandson floating around. Zero interest.

But, to answer your question, he is the President's grandson (in law?) so I fully expect him on the NT.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
He turned down the NT when called upon. Hoping to never see his name on a Czech jersey to be honest. His Dad was a realy controversial selection for the Czechs at the 2014 Olympics too! You see, his Dad is married to the then coaches (now presdidents) daught - Alois Hadamczak and the nepotism was blatant. Now we go the grandson floating around. Zero interest.

But, to answer your question, he is the President's grandson (in law?) so I fully expect him on the NT.

Thanks for the insight. When I was in University in the early 2000's thought there was a great movie to be made about Czech hockey in the 1950's.

Sounds like a sequel might be interesting too.

Seems like the system has produced elite players in spite of itself. On the other hand, always interesting to wonder what might have been.

To a lesser degree the same could be said about American hockey.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks for the insight. When I was in University in the early 2000's thought there was a great movie to be made about Czech hockey in the 1950's.

Sounds like a sequel might be interesting too.

Seems like the system has produced elite players in spite of itself. On the other hand, always interesting to wonder what might have been.

To a lesser degree the same could be said about American hockey.
Difference is that US hockey is firing on absolutely all cylinders right now. They are killing it!
U20 champs
U18 champs
U16 champs
'arguably' the best paper roster for a best on best
NHL depth that is insane

I'd like to think the non NHL Olympics was our 'bottom' and we are slowly rising up from that. And I'd kille for a USNDTP type model for our U18 players but they all leave. Something like 70% of our Hlinka silver team left for CHL.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Difference is that US hockey is firing on absolutely all cylinders right now. They are killing it!
U20 champs
U18 champs
U16 champs
'arguably' the best paper roster for a best on best
NHL depth that is insane

I'd like to think the non NHL Olympics was our 'bottom' and we are slowly rising up from that. And I'd kille for a USNDTP type model for our U18 players but they all leave. Something like 70% of our Hlinka silver team left for CHL.

USA Hockey model works in terms of scale but a lot of players fall by the wayside due to economics. The resources dedicated to a fraction of the players makes the higher levels inaccessible to an overwhelming majority of players.

But from your posts, it appears the challenges are much greater in the Czech Republic.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad