F Mads Eller - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2013 undrafted)

whlscowt

more skilled with a better IQ than his big brother. really perplexing.

I don't think he's more skilled. He has way more heart though. Now this is coming from a guy who watches more Hitmen games than Oil Kings games (booo) but this kid outworks everyone. You'd think he'd get signed just so some of his work ethic would rub off on the other guys.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
One of the biggest hitters and hardest workers I've ever seen at the junior level also maybe one of the fastest.

I was surprised he didn't get picked last year.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
One of the biggest hitters and hardest workers I've ever seen at the junior level also maybe one of the fastest.

I was surprised he didn't get picked last year.

I was hoping we'd pick him in the 7th but we actually ended up drafting Kulda! Eller did show up for our rookie camp, though, so it looks like there is/was some interest in him from the Yotes side.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Eller has always been a depth forward for the Oil Kings due to how good they were. If he was consistently playing in their top 9 for the last two seasons, he most certainly would have been drafted. Now though, I could see him being sign to an ELC or AHL contract with an NHL team in the offseason.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Not sure why everyone is so shocked he hasn't been drafted yet. While being buried in Edmonton, his skillset just wasn't quite at a level high enough to be valued by NHL teams. I still don't think it is, either.

Here's what I said about him last year, ranking him 33rd in the WHL's Eastern Conference....so not exactly a draftable guy in my books.

#33 - Mads Eller - Edmonton Oil Kings - LW - L - 6'1 - 196

A good two-way forward for the WHL and Memorial Cup Champions, also the brother of Canadiens forward Lars Eller. He skates hard is a good checker, but I just don't see the offensive skills to consider him to be much higher on my list. Might get drafted, with help from his bloodlines. He should see a massively increased role in Edmonton next year so that's another reason why some teams might want to snag him in the 6th or 7th round. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Jesus, I too hope the Habs sign him to a contract, but some of you are taking it a few notches above sanity here. Harder working and more talented than Lars Eller? Give your heads a shake please. He's been ok thus far, making space in a PF role on the power-play, nothing extraordinary.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I think he'd make a good 3rd liner in any NHL team.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He's honestly not that special. I agree with the sentiment that he just has too little offense to be effective at the NHL level.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I could have sworn he had been drafted by Phoenix. Turns out I was thinking of Edgars Kulda.

I'd love him on the Jets. He could play alongside his current linemate Ehlers.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not sure why everyone is so shocked he hasn't been drafted yet. While being buried in Edmonton, his skillset just wasn't quite at a level high enough to be valued by NHL teams. I still don't think it is, either.

Here's what I said about him last year, ranking him 33rd in the WHL's Eastern Conference....so not exactly a draftable guy in my books.

He's a guy I'd continue following if I was an NHL scout because he has some useful tools (plays a hard three-zone game with some skating ability and physicality) but he's simply not worth spending a pick on or giving a contract slot to right now. 14 goals in 100+ WHL games is a guy destined for the ECHL. You're going to get zero value out of an ELC signed now, as he simply doesn't have the hands or puck skills to move up to the AHL and be a contributor there.

Needs to go the SEL for a few years and continue working on developing his skills, then maybe come back to give North America another shot when he's 23-24.

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
I could have sworn he had been drafted by Phoenix. Turns out I was thinking of Edgars Kulda.

I'd love him on the Jets. He could play alongside his current linemate Ehlers.

Ehlers is a top-6 forward for sure, he doesn't have enough defensive skill and doesn't play physical enough to play in a bottom-6. Eller is exactly the opposite, he's a bottom-6 forward that just can't be a top-6 forward. He's not skilled offensively at all, but he is a hard working checker that could maybe carve out a spot in a bottom-6 somewhere.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I was surprised that he wasn't drafted last year.. his style reminds me of Antoine Roussel, not as big of a pest though.

thegutter

May 22, 2011
now playing in the OHL. Played a bit in echl earlier this season. Didnt know another chl league could pick up a player on waivers from another chl league.

Dec 2, 2010
now playing in the OHL. Played a bit in echl earlier this season. Didnt know another chl league could pick up a player on waivers from another chl league.
Check out the Q more often. They pick up a lot of the other leagues' waivers.

On Mads, I thought Dallas would sign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad