F Maddox Dagenais - Quinte Red Devils U16 AAA, OMHA U16 (2026 Draft)

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Is he related to the legendary Pierre Dagenais?

1712275097685.png

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Why’d he play in Ontario this year? That Quinte team looks like they have a lot of kids from far away

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Dagenais is the #1 ranked prospect for the QMJHL Draft.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Dagenais is the #1 ranked prospect for the QMJHL Draft.

Does he have any intention of playing in the QMJHL? Looks like he was taken fairly high in the USHL draft last night.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Does he have any intention of playing in the QMJHL? Looks like he was taken fairly high in the USHL draft last night.

Puck Preps say it's 80% no QMJHL. I guess it might depend which team drafts him and if they can convince him and his family.

As of now, the draft order is :

1. Cape Breton
2. Val d'Or
3. Val d'Or
4. Quebec
5. Saint John

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Puck Preps say it's 80% no QMJHL. I guess it might depend which team drafts him and if they can convince him and his family.

1. Cape Breton
2. Val d'Or
3. Val d'Or
4. Quebec
5. Saint John
It wouldn't shock me if he was only willing to report to Quebec.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

1. Cape Breton
2. Val d'Or
3. Val d'Or
4. Quebec
5. Saint John
Lalancette reported that he intends to play Ontario Jr. A next year, which could be a smokescreen. However, if we assume that the players selected in the early rounds of the USHL draft are going NCAA (Dagenais, Chartrand, Dube, Rozzi), plus Lawrence who is already USHL tendered, plus O'Donnell who chose the OHL route, plus some of the other Quebec kids rumored to be leaning NCAA (Taillefer, Yared), this might be the least talented draft class (to actually play in the league) I can recall since I've been following the QMJHL.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Lalancette reported that he intends to play Ontario Jr. A next year, which could be a smokescreen. However, if we assume that the players selected in the early rounds of the USHL draft are going NCAA (Dagenais, Chartrand, Dube, Rozzi), plus Lawrence who is already USHL tendered, plus O'Donnell who chose the OHL route, plus some of the other Quebec kids rumored to be leaning NCAA (Taillefer, Yared), this might be the least talented draft class (to actually play in the league) I can recall since I've been following the QMJHL.
NCAA leaning is a thing most years in the QMJHL. There are more than a few of these kids who are looking at their options specifically to avoid being in Cape Breton (who would likely trade them midseason) or Val D'Or. This is very common when teams like CB, Val D'Or and Baie-Comeau have high picks.

Reactions: EH7

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
NCAA leaning is a thing most years in the QMJHL. There are more than a few of these kids who are looking at their options specifically to avoid being in Cape Breton (who would likely trade them midseason) or Val D'Or. This is very common when teams like CB, Val D'Or and Baie-Comeau have high picks.
Yes, I'm quite aware of that being from Cape Breton, but I do think NCAA interest is becoming more prevalent (plus I don't think this is a particularly strong draft to begin with). I don't think some of these kids will wait around for a trade until they get the team of their choice; they'll just stick to the USA route.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Yes, I'm quite aware of that being from Cape Breton, but I do think NCAA interest is becoming more prevalent (plus I don't think this is a particularly strong draft to begin with). I don't think some of these kids will wait around for a trade until they get the team of their choice; they'll just stick to the USA route.
From NB, most of the high level kids that aren't from Moncton end up moving away to play hockey which makes them more likely to look at other options.

Quebec has always had LSL which is notorious from preparing kids to have the NCAA option

On top of that, there are heavy politics in midget within the region that can cause kids who should be playing a higher level (or more) to look at other options to get the level of competition they need.

On the flip side of the spectrum, Val D'Or is both a remote location and has been out of the second round of the playoffs once in the last 9 years. Cape Breton is also remote and just made it out of the 2nd round for the first time in almost 20 years.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

Leroux says Dagenais should have been in the OHL Draft because he lives in Ontario but he had the choice of the Q because his father played in the league. Since he actually chose the Q Draft, Jr. A might actually be smokescreen like you're saying.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
From NB, most of the high level kids that aren't from Moncton end up moving away to play hockey which makes them more likely to look at other options.

Quebec has always had LSL which is notorious from preparing kids to have the NCAA option

On top of that, there are heavy politics in midget within the region that can cause kids who should be playing a higher level (or more) to look at other options to get the level of competition they need.

On the flip side of the spectrum, Val D'Or is both a remote location and has been out of the second round of the playoffs once in the last 9 years. Cape Breton is also remote and just made it out of the 2nd round for the first time in almost 20 years.

The Trois-Rivières region is also notorious for preparing kids to play in the NCAA.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
It was already weak to begin with, but arguably half of the top 15 guys seem to not be reporting to the Q. Definitely the weakest crop I've seen in 7 years scouting this draft.

On Dagenais, definitely has a pro package, but was a bit shocked to see him ranked first, not going to lie.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
It was already weak to begin with, but arguably half of the top 15 guys seem to not be reporting to the Q. Definitely the weakest crop I've seen in 7 years scouting this draft.

On Dagenais, definitely has a pro package, but was a bit shocked to see him ranked first, not going to lie.

Half of the 2019 1st round wasn't going to report. They all did but 1 (Richard).

I'll wait and see.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-07-at-9.43.48-PM.png

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Not sure how this is relevant. A ton has changed in the past 5 years

It was only an example. It happens often that kids pretend to go NCAA and ends up in the Q. Wintersun says half of the first round this year isn't reporting but most of them probably will.

Nause didn't report at 16, went back in the draft and reported at 17.

He did report though. Just like Reynolds who didn't report at 16 but at 17.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
It was only an example. It happens often that kids pretend to go NCAA and ends up in the Q. Wintersun says half of the first round this year isn't reporting but most of them probably will.

The difference is that Reynolds reported to the team that drafted him. Val D'Or accepted compensation for Nause (which is exactly what will happen if they take one of the NCAA guys, only with the risk that they don't come to the Q at 17)

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

I agree that, out of the 8-10 guys speculated to be "leaning" NCAA, most of them will end up in the Q at some point. The issue is if you even lose 4-5 of these guys in an already watered down draft (as Wintersun pointed out), it doesn't bode well for talent influx into the league.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Half of the 2019 1st round wasn't going to report. They all did but 1 (Richard).

I'll wait and see.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-07-at-9.43.48-PM.png

I only count 6 players out of those 18 who were truly considering the NCAA.

All I'm saying is as of today, Dagenais, Lawrence, Chartrand, Yared, Rozzi and Taillefer, 6 of the top 12 guys are supposed to go NCAA (imo there's a bit of a gap between that top 12 and the rest, although I'd have Lottin and Olivier in that group personnaly).

To be fair, is it possible that a couple of them are convinced to play in the Q ? Yes, I would expect maybe 2 to end up coming to the Q.

But still, when it's a strong LSL crop, there's always a bit more NCAA guys.

If you cut 6 of the 12 prospects in a already weak class, it gets very weak I guess.

I really hope most of those guys do report to the Q.

Reactions: SergeConstantin74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad