F Macklin Celebrini - Boston University Terriers, NCAA (2024 Draft)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's the smart move (the team is insanely young and they need some leadership / experience) but, I agree, I wanted to see Celebrini.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Didn't even know about his pre-existing ties to the bay area. Cool stuff. Makes it easier to swallow that he's going to a rival. Chicago not getting him helps there too.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Feel like they should keep him in school another year.
Naw, I get being conservative with certain prospects, but the Sharks have a ton of ice time and opportunity to give him. He's ready for the NHL. Maybe he doesn't step in and light the world on fire, but it's not like he's gonna sit around on the 4th line. He's gonna get top 6 minutes, top PP minutes and be put in positions to succeed.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I can't imagine they don't sign him. What I think it'll do for them though is to not pressure Smith to sign, give Musty a role, etc. as well. Can only have so many teenagers in that lineup.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
Another bit from The Athletic (Scott Wheeler), article written after the lottery today:

"I wrote before the lottery that I believed the results could influence Macklin Celebrini's college decision. He has said publicly that he's not opposed to going back, and has suggested privately that he's considering it. It being San Jose makes it a particularly interesting and layered decision. They're a long way away, maybe the furthest of the bunch. Next season is quite likely going to be another ugly one for them on the ice. Does that make a return to Boston University more likely? I'd think yes.

There are pulls in that direction, too. He's a late birthday. His close friend Cole Eiserman is going to be a Terrier next season. Nobody has ever won back-to-back Hobey Baker Awards. He could chase that World Junior gold in Ottawa (I know Hockey Canada hasn't ruled having him out). There's a lot to consider and now less of a rush to jump into the NHL, I'd think. That doesn't mean he doesn't sign, but the case to return is likely more compelling now.

It's worth noting that I'm very confident he's
ready to play in the NHL, so the decision to go back shouldn't be about that. He's physically prepared. His game has the required roundedness to fit into the pro structure and hold the responsibilities of playing down the middle in the best league in the world. He's got the skill, and playmaking, and instincts, and strength, and skating, and smarts, and all the rest. I think he's a contributing, even impactful player from Day 1. From Day 1, and without much trouble, he could score 20 goals and 40 points and be a strong component of their PP1, and play with their more talented wingers."

This honestly could be a whole lot of smoke and no fire - just speculation and then he signs and we forget this ever happened. It is interesting that it's a conversation that's happening though, as it's not something we're used to with 1OA picks.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Welcome to San Jose. Dude plays like MacKinnon. Hopefully he's as intense and dedicated. Hopefully it was just nerves/awkwardness and he gets more comfortable in front of the camera 😂
Mack is all about intense and dedication. Practice, pickup, game, he goes 100 all the time.

Grier: (in selecting Mack 1oa)

"I would think so," he said. "He plays 200 feet. He's 17 but he's got a really solid build on him already and I think he's got a professional attitude and mentality already. I've talked with Jay Pandolfo at BU, and he said sometimes they have to kick him off the ice.

"I just think it's how he plays the game; he works just as hard in the defensive zone as he does in the offensive zone. When you put it all together we think he's in a good spot (to be NHL-ready)."

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Thank god he’s going to SJ and not Chicago.

Musty-Celebrini
Eklund-Smith

Is a fantastic base for a top6.
from 25-26 or 26-27 season on?
- because..

Celebrini, 17, will not be Sharks 1C from the get go, Granlund has 1 year left of his contract and he just had an amazing season, all considered
(if they decide to bring him to San Jose at 18)
Musty, 18, not gonna play in the NHL next season
Smith, 19, 19 year old coming straight from college hockey to 2nd line center position in the NHL... probably not

but i do agree, looks fantastic!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad